Some "inch" Training

Paul Knight

Went to Metroflex gym today where they have a 174lb - 175lb dumbell w/a 2.5" inch handle - not sure if I could lift a real inch though cause I don't think I could utilize the tilt the same way :rolleyes anyways, having a little trouble with it at first, but quickly warmed up . . check it out :D

a few vids:

Nice lifting paul. :rock That's a good looking DB.

Say, did you try gripping it in the center or choking to the other side at all? Just curious as to the relation...

Say, did you try gripping it in the center or choking to the other side at all? Just curious as to the relation...

Yep, can't do it - can get some air and then it just rotates out :rolleyes - can't wait to do a strict lift from the center of the handle ...... Now that I have access to a thick-handled dumbell, I'll be training on it :)

Good job - but now try the real Inch! ;)

Yep, can't do it - can get some air and then it just rotates out :rolleyes - can't wait to do a strict lift from the center of the handle ...... Now that I have access to a thick-handled dumbell, I'll be training on it :)

Sounds like a great simulator for the real thing. That's what everyone says when they try the inch. Great job getting it up (even with the tilt). Now you have another goal to shoot for. Knowing you it'll take a week or two. :rolleyes

Wish I could! don't know where to find one :rolleyes I'm dying to try one :yikes

I worked out today with Eric, Tommy D. and Rendy Delacruz - Rendy is a strongman competitor. He just won the "Texas Strongman Classic" April 19, 2008. He said he lifted the Thomas Inch dumbell at the Arnold Classic and he thought it felt easier because the globes were so close together that when he gripped it tight, the sides of his hands were smashed against the sides stopping the rotation. His hands are about 5 inches wide (or more :rolleyes ) probably not everyone could expierience that hold on the inch, unless your hands are real wide too. How wide is the handle between the globes anyway - can someone measure please and post.

Here are some vids of Rendy, first foolin w/the Metroflex inch:

Now, some vids of him at the Texas Strongman Classic:

Bald head-check

Silly beard-check

Power belly-check

He'll go far in Strongman! :D

Oh, and that strength won't hinder, either.

Bald head-check

Silly beard-check

Power belly-check

He'll go far in Strongman! :D

Oh, and that strength won't hinder, either.

That made me laugh :)

Great inch training Paul! And a strong dude that friend of yours.

Strong lift Paul even getting air with the tilt is still good and congrad's to your strong friend !!!!! :D

Wish I could! don't know where to find one :rolleyes I'm dying to try one :yikes

I worked out today with Eric, Tommy D. and Rendy Delacruz - Rendy is a strongman competitor. He just won the "Texas Strongman Classic" April 19, 2008. He said he lifted the Thomas Inch dumbell at the Arnold Classic and he thought it felt easier because the globes were so close together that when he gripped it tight, the sides of his hands were smashed against the sides stopping the rotation. His hands are about 5 inches wide (or more :rolleyes ) probably not everyone could expierience that hold on the inch, unless your hands are real wide too. How wide is the handle between the globes anyway - can someone measure please and post.

Great Job Paul!!! That looked way easier than I was expecting! Trust me though, your more than a hop away from lifting it unbraced. More like a hop, skip AND a jump away. I can lift my 126 solid bell like that all day, even with a bad open blister on my middle finger. I can't get it but 3-6" off the ground unbraced :(

The dimensions on a real Inch Replica:

8" Dia. Globes

20" overall Length

4" Long handle

2.38-2.47" Di. Handle

171-173lbs(I haven't heard of any lighter/heavier yet)

I assue you that when you try my DB at GGC, you'll find it a tad more difficult, even if you brace the poop out of it :devil

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Inch lift was cool. but I'm more jealous that you get to train somewhere like Metroflex. I have a gym at home because near me all we have is bright shiny places with lots of silly machines and people posing on them.

What I would give to be able to train at a place like Metroflex.

If you ever get a chance head out here and try my inch.

- Aaron

Yeah Paul, it seems like you'll just have to come out for Arizona Cactus Grip this year :D Hell if Bill comes there might be two inches there ;)

Yeah Paul, it seems like you'll just have to come out for Arizona Cactus Grip this year :D Hell if Bill comes there might be two inches there ;)

I'm thinking about putting on something small grip comp in September as well. with bending grippers 2hp and braced bending as well as other stuff.

- Aaron

I'm thinking about putting on something small grip comp in September as well. with bending grippers 2hp and braced bending as well as other stuff.

- Aaron

I know, you told me about it, twice :D I just didn't know if you were making it public yet since I figured you weren't 100% sure.

- Aaron

Sounds freakin awesome! hope its toward the end of September cause of the GGC - prolly take my hands at least 2 weeks to recover from a comp :rolleyes I will try my damnedest to get there! sounds like a comp that I could do well in , minus the 2hp which I will get slaughtered/masacered in :whacked Its my turn to go to Arizona now anyways - both of ya'll have been here! :laugh Thanks for the invite!

- Aaron

Sounds freakin awesome! hope its toward the end of September cause of the GGC - prolly take my hands at least 2 weeks to recover from a comp :rolleyes I will try my damnedest to get there! sounds like a comp that I could do well in , minus the 2hp which I will get slaughtered/masacered in :whacked Its my turn to go to Arizona now anyways - both of ya'll have been here! :laugh Thanks for the invite!

Well I expect you to be here!! It's about damn time you get out of that wet heat in Texas, and come to the desert :laugh

Sounds good man, I'll get a formal event list and post together. It would be good to get my butt kicked in bending.

- Aaron

Went to Metroflex gym today where they have a 174lb - 175lb dumbell w/a 2.5" inch handle - not sure if I could lift a real inch though cause I don't think I could utilize the tilt the same way :rolleyes anyways, having a little trouble with it at first, but quickly warmed up . . check it out :D

Hey Paul,

Very impressive. It must be a great feeling to get some air time with that sucker! :rock

WOW! Paul!

Very Impressive!

Mighty Joe

Great Job Paul!!! That looked way easier than I was expecting! Trust me though, your more than a hop away from lifting it unbraced. More like a hop, skip AND a jump away. I can lift my 126 solid bell like that all day, even with a bad open blister on my middle finger. I can't get it but 3-6" off the ground unbraced :(

The dimensions on a real Inch Replica:

8" Dia. Globes

20" overall Length

4" Long handle

2.38-2.47" Di. Handle

171-173lbs(I haven't heard of any lighter/heavier yet)

I assue you that when you try my DB at GGC, you'll find it a tad more difficult, even if you brace the poop out of it :devil

Zach - whats the diameter on your dumbell? (the cylinders) and how long is your handle too? and overall length also :blush thanks buddy!

Well done Paul! With your strength, I'm sure you are just a few training sessions from pulling it level. :rock :rock :rock