Recommendations On Grippers?

kuurakarahka

I don't own any grippers now, but since I've gotten into bending, levering and pinching, I thought it could be worth the while to invest some time in crushing these things. The problem is that I don't really know how strong a gripper I should have, because it seems the only way to know for sure is to actually try them out. I guess I should pick one that I can't quite close, so I'll have something to work towards instead of just repping it out?

Some stats:

Pinch: 9+10 kg plates for about five seconds, a tad over three inches overall thickness

1-h DL: 73 kg with quite the rotating bar, +100kg with a static handle.

Baseline dyno: 56 kg / left, 61 kg / right

A year ago I tried my friend's HG200, but came just half a centimeter from closing it. Don't know how relevant that information is, as my grip has gotten evidently stronger since those days.

There are a few good one's out there Ironmind, Beef Builder, RB gripper's Hg's are cheap and a good starter but if you want quality go with the latter. I have almost 40 of every kind yes I know I am sick I would get on Ebay and look around they have IM' on there 20 dollars but cheaper shipping than Ironmind. There is also Warren Tetting gripper on there which is the same as Beef Builder's same guy make's them. Hope this help's and I did'nt confuse you good luck. P.S If you almost closed a HG 200 I would go with a IM #1 and #2.

I don't own any grippers now, but since I've gotten into bending, levering and pinching, I thought it could be worth the while to invest some time in crushing these things. The problem is that I don't really know how strong a gripper I should have, because it seems the only way to know for sure is to actually try them out. I guess I should pick one that I can't quite close, so I'll have something to work towards instead of just repping it out?

Some stats:

Pinch: 9+10 kg plates for about five seconds, a tad over three inches overall thickness

1-h DL: 73 kg with quite the rotating bar, +100kg with a static handle.

Baseline dyno: 56 kg / left, 61 kg / right

A year ago I tried my friend's HG200, but came just half a centimeter from closing it. Don't know how relevant that information is, as my grip has gotten evidently stronger since those days.

I'd have to say #1 and #1.5. Only becuase the jump into the #1 and #2 is so big, that you can rep out easily on the #1 and would close the #2 only once with a huge struggle.

Depends on how many grippers you want to order. When I first started on grippers (this past February), I had a pretty strong grip from 3 years or so of powerlifting. I first ordered the T and the #1. Even though the T was easy, I could not close the #1, but having these 2 easier ones allowed me to work a lot of technique. I quickly jumped and closed the #1.5 and just recently got the #2. If you can, I'd suggest getting the #1, #1.5, and the #2, but it depends on how much money you want to spend. Especially if you could close the HG100, I'd considering starting at the #1.

If you live in the United States Nutritiongeeks is the best deal around for quality Tetting grippers, $17.95. Shipping is $5.95 no matter how many grippers you buy and if your first order is over $75 shipping is free! The T3 = Super Advanced, T4 = Master, T5 = Super Master , T6 = Grand Master, T7 = Elite ..........

http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/hand-gripper...nd-gripper.html

If you live in the United States Nutritiongeeks is the best deal around for quality Tetting grippers, $17.95. Shipping is $5.95 no matter how many grippers you buy and if your first order is over $75 shipping is free! The T3 = Super Advanced, T4 = Master, T5 = Super Master , T6 = Grand Master, T7 = Elite ..........

I've got two of those, the quality is outstanding. But, I would go with CoC's, and then when your hands toughen up, go with the Tettings/Beefbuilders(same thing). The Tettings/Bbs are the best on the market, but the knurling is like a cheese grater.

The HG's are okay (I've got 6) but for the money, your better-off getting 3 CoC's than 6 HGs.

Skip the RBs. They're more for show than for training.

Skip the RBs. They're more for show than for training.

I have had good expieriences with the RBs. Thoug it seems that the poundages vary you can get more variety from RB than from anywhere else, for example I have an RB300 with an extended handle and a RB240 with a narrow spread.

I think a set of CoC grippers is worth the investment. I got HG's at first and was really disappointed. I have the T to 3 and I'm really glad to have the half steps, and the quality is excellent.

If I had to pick one gripper it would be the vulcan, it starts off at somewhere just below a coc 1 and ends up god knows where (4+ at least) and you get to progress up in small easily measurable increments all for the price of 2-3 normal grippers. I will now only train std grippers for a few weeks before a contest that is using std grippers just to re adjust to the feel of the torsion grippers,the rest of the training is done on the Vulcan

A post on the main board is the best I have yet seen. Add the Vulcan Gripper in there somewhere and you have all you will need to know.

------------------------

If you want the best grippers to train on, or want Mash Monster cert replicas. Or like the tradition of grippers, get BeefBuilders/Tetting grippers. (he made the original COCs)

If you want the thicker handles or the prettiest grippers get RBs

If you want to cert replicas from ironmind, or like their propaganda/design. get the COCs.

If you want the cheapest heavy duty torsion spring grippers get the HGs

If you want the cheapest spring grip tool get the Ivanko Super Gripper

If you want to be really strong at grippers without using grippers get a GRIP MACHINE.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

I might go with Tetting's grippers, and probably get two or three of them to begin with. Not to say CoC isn't an option, but the idea of buying from the grand old man of grippers is kind of appealing to me.

As far as the knurling goes, my hands are pretty calloused from a year and a half of kettlebell lifting, but not at the base of the palm. I reckon it'll take time to get used to this new type of stress, but it'll happen eventually.

Thank you all for the advice!

I might go with Tetting's grippers, and probably get two or three of them to begin with. Not to say CoC isn't an option, but the idea of buying from the grand old man of grippers is kind of appealing to me.

As far as the knurling goes, my hands are pretty calloused from a year and a half of kettlebell lifting, but not at the base of the palm. I reckon it'll take time to get used to this new type of stress, but it'll happen eventually.

Thank you all for the advice!

Ah, I'd say good choice :) Best quality and - I think - really cool looking :cool

The COC's are more universal than any other type hand sterngth gripper; if you have them you're more on par with everyone else in terms of strength i.e. where your grip strength is compared to anyone else with the same numbered gripper.

Sheesh, can't I prefer CoC grippers without being an IM propogandist?

Also, I don't see why RB's are more for show than training. Sure, there are collectable versions, but the ones I got from FBBC seem like pretty standard, solid training grippers. I don't, however, like their feel as much as the CoC's because of the thicker handles.

Sheesh, can't I prefer CoC grippers without being an IM propogandist?

Keep your religion to yourself mister!!! :angry: