Preparation For The Fantastic Cert

bencrush

That's about 3 weeks away so I talked myself into bending tonight even though I'm still a little sore from the Friday and Saturday mayhem. I didn't warmup since I'm not human. :D

-Bent a Psycho Bastard to 48 degrees in 22 seconds. :D YouTube is down so I uploaded it to Google Videos. Not even sure if everyone can access that or if you have to join Google to do so...I don't like their setup anyway. Just wanted to get it uploaded. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...54951&hl=en

-Bent a Maniacal Bastard to 18 degrees in 45 seconds. :blush This one isn't uploaded yet. I'll see if I can get that accomplished before finally going to bed.

Both were first tries so they'll be my starting points to try to improve upon. But only until the Fantastic is tucked in snugly in its grave.

Before I forget, I used the 3rd generation caddy pads that Jason Payne just GAVE me on Saturday to get a little movement on a 5 and 7/8" KOAB. I do mean a "little" too. 1/16", haha! More later when I'm focusing on the KOAB but for now that'll do donkey.

I'll keep a very trimmed down training log until the Fantastic cert. Then I'll probably go deep cover again because I won't want to detail all the work I'm going to have to do to hit big 7" steel and eventually reach the KOAB mountain. I'm ordering 10 MOABs for crushdown purposes. Or should I say for ISO purposes. I doubt they'll move for quite a while. But they will move eventually.

I've been going over and over in my mind how "best" to train for the Fantastic. I still believe I have enough crushdown strength for it. Even though I failed on the crushdown part of the bend, I think that was mainly due to having a subpar kink and sweep compared to my crushdown. So if I got that guess wrong, all it will mean is that I fail again on the Fantastic and then I change up my training again and still kick the Fantastic's butt a month or so later. I'd like to get it done as quickly as possible though, duh. :)

Great bends Ben!! I'm sure you'll smash the Fantastic this time around!!! I like how your wife was talking to you when you casually started the Maniacal :laugh

HAHA I loved how you wrote Psycho and put an arrow to it!! :laugh

And I can see my "BRUTAL" hex sitting there too :)

Great attempt Ben!!!

Great work Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys! I got home and tried an "Impossible Bastard." 2.5" isn't much length to get a hold of. Got nothing whatsoever out of a minute's worth of screwing around with it. I might have to use much thinner pads to even kink it a little. It's not worth it of course, but I thought it would be neat to kink one and just leave it on my wall of fame in the garage.

Got a few degrees kink in a Fantastic Shiny also. Very few degrees, but still a little movement. I'm sure to try it again before the 9th.

My plan is for all the supramaximal stock I'm doing isos with to make the Fantastic feel like HRS in my hands.

I told John Beatty via e-mail earlier today that if/when I succeed with the Fantastic I'll rest a while and then give the Psycho an honest shot too. One shot deal though. I don't want that one bad enough to train specifically for it.

Next up will be the longer stuff.

I also wanted to say that my style of bending (I won't say it so I don't get anything started, I am far too happy for that stuff) is probably better suited to the short stuff than the more traditional levering style. That doesn't mean it's stronger, or that I'm stronger. I put only a little wrist torque into the bar and then PUSH into the ends for all I'm worth. I'm using monstrously fat pads but to be honest I am pretty positive I couldn't handle the pain from using thin pads on this short of steel.

Great name for the 2.5 inch bastard Ben! :D

I tried that 2 7/8 grade 5 bolt and it felt like all I was bending was padding :blink

Don't forget about us little guys bending sub 6 inch stock when you go to the big bad 7 inchers! :D

Ben if that is the 420lb stock the 2.5" bastard would be 987lbs @2.5" :ohmy thats sick based on Erics 15% per 1/2 inch of length reduction.Awesome Job on the kinks of the 3.5 and 3" too!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Great stuff!

I'd say the 2.5" would be much higher than the 15% estimate gives. It is getting exponentially harder with shorter steel. The 15% rule cannot apply beyond some close-to-linear regime by the lenghts. If we think about the spring force, which is probably the closest to compare with, it goes like constant times displayment - the further you push it, the harder it fights back. In any case, very strong :rock :rock

Ben if that is the 420lb stock the 2.5" bastard would be 987lbs @2.5" :ohmy thats sick based on Erics 15% per 1/2 inch of length reduction.Awesome Job on the kinks of the 3.5 and 3" too!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Thanks Brendan! I don't think for a second this is the hard stock. I have very hard Huge Bastards from an old trade with Josh that are the super hard stock though. I've bent a 5" piece of one of those but I'm stronger now. I don't think I'd be able to finish off a 4.5" piece of it though.

7-23-08, Wednesday

4:30am

-Warmed up with a 60D. I wanted to see if it made any difference whatsoever in my kink attempts. I think it did.

-Fantastic Shiny to 20 degrees in 9 seconds! :cool The other day's kink was 3 degrees.

Did some other stuff but the Fantastic Shiny kink was the highlight of course. It's going to make the Fantastic feel easy!

Just looking in my log. On the 16th I kinked an Insane Shiny to 20 degrees in 19 seconds. So my short kink is improving quickly and dramatically! I tied that degree of kink and got it in less than half the time today on the Fantastic Shiny.

WOW! :blink

I can see a very fast fantastic bend this time :D

Oh yeah that link just took me to the youtube sign in page. I had to go to your main page then hit the link there.

Thanks Chad! I'm counting on it man. I want it to be so damn fast that people think it was a fake video. That's the goal. But with enough documentation that it's obviously not a fake video.

The OBT has really accelerated your kink. Ingenious training idea.

Very nice work on the Fantastic Shiny kink its moving!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

The OBT has really accelerated your kink. Ingenious training idea.

Thanks Josh! :rock It's our baby.

Very nice work on the Fantastic Shiny kink its moving!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Thanks a lot Brendan! I just got back from the garage where I kinked a Psycho Shiny to 8 degrees. It's a start. I just did it to see how much it would suck. It sucked! I'm done for a few days if I can somehow rein my enthusiasm in...that would be helpful. I think I've bent 4 or 5 days in a row now. It's getting foggy. Also twice today. Tried a Fantastic after a 60D a while ago and blew through it to about 80 degrees where I got stupid and tried to start the crushdown with my caddy pads from there. That was the end of movement with that damn bar. Froze there and refused to move anymore. I'm also bending way too much but still.

Video is uploading for the Psycho Shiny. I was getting kind of lightheaded and I think I refer to it as a "Insane Psycho Shiny." :)

"Thats 8 degrees, SHIT!" HAHA!!! :D

There is another piece of stainless I'm gonna have to go try now! :tongue

You just don't stop Ben!!! Hell of a great job on that one.

Good luck Ben! I KNOW you will cert on the fantastic, being one of the absolute best benders on this planet

Mats

Great work Ben! Super strong bending my friend!! :cool:blink :blink