Pain Under Callus On Little Finger?

Relayer

This may sound a bit odd, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I have somewhat small hands (palm ~4.5”) and short fingers (middle is 3”). All my gripping is done with just of enough set to get the COC grip handle about centered over the last knuckle crease in my little finger. (Hope all that makes sense). This takes the distance between the COC handles from about 2 3/4" when fully open down to about 2 1/4".

Now, when I begin to mash I have to rotate/slide my little finger around the handle as it closes, as I squeeze.

The problem comes from the friction on my little finger. I have built up a nice callus just above that last crease. That’s part of the problem. When I work out, the area under the callus (inside the finger) gets super sore. At the risk of sounding like a BIG WUSS, it really hurts! As much as I try to ignore it, I really cannot. It’s impeding my progress and will probably only get worse when I move up to the #2 (which I think I could close now, so I need to move on up).

Taking time off to let the area under the callus feel better does not help.

I just tried a temporary solution today. I got some liquid soap and applied a bit to the Scotch tape that I had put on the end of that handle. The gripper is then a bit harder to control, but it sure does the trick to ease the friction (and the resulting pain). The slight loss of control (I’m being careful not to let the gripper get away), however, also inhibits getting the max out of my session, I believe.

This “soap trick” (a drop of oil might be better) seems like it may work OK for now, but I’m thinking that control will be a bigger issue with any tougher grippers.

Anybody else have this issue with pain under the callus on the fingers, especially the pinky?

Would I be better off to just workout with a set that positions my little finger so that it won’t have to slide/rub it’s way around that handle? With my COC gripper and little hand and fingers, this would put the handle ends at only about 1 3/4” apart.

I know this is kind of “out there”, but I appreciate your thoughts. And let me know if you think I just should change my user name to Big Wuss.

Cheers!

Take a break for a couple days/week and let the skin heal. In addition to that you might wanna sand the callus down. Once your hands toughen up the calluses just get in the way anyway. Oh and moisturize(after training of course).

Taking time off to let the area under the callus feel better does not help.

How much time?

It just sounds like you're blistering under the callus.

Ha! Both of my pinky fingers do this.

One, don't chalk your fingers, just your palm. Second, cut off or sand off the extra skin so there's no extra skin to get "caught" on the gripper handle. After a few months you won't notice it anymore.

Thanks for the replies, so far.

Time off: I've taken up to a week at one time, but had the same issue after. I can't seem to force myself to take more than that. Maybe I should.

I've haven't used any chalk.

I have been sanding the callus down, which helps a little.

I do think it sort of a blister under the callus. That's pretty much what it feels like; lifting with a blister and ripping it right off.

Moisturizing sounds like a good idea. Maybe, if I could get rid of the callus altogether (or almost), it would prevent this.

Give yourself a two week layoff. As with any injury if you keep prodding and poking at it, it will take longer to heal. From what you've said it seems like it's progressed from uncomfortable to painful and so demands some action. Continuing training at the mo will give severely diminished progress and just perpetuate your problem. Your hands will probably thank you for the rest and you will more than likely see some good strength gains when you ease back into training! ;)

I would also move to that 1" set or parallel set and work your way up that way. This allows for hard training and your hands will toughen up in time using a set width that doesn't bother your skin as much.

Thanks all!

Autolupus, I agree some time off may well do me some good in more ways than one. I get a little too hard-headed for my own good, sometimes.

Teemu, thanks for the advice regarding the set. I also read some of your blog tonight. Great stuff. the article on choker work sounds like something I could really benefit from.