Muscle development from pinch work?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

Heath Sexton turned me on to a little device that I think holds lots of promise for developing the thumb. Now thats the question I have. It will make the thumb stronger in function, but the muscle I am sore in is the one between the index finger and the thumb, not the big chicken leg part of my thumb. Which muscle gets developed with hardcore pinch work the most? Which one is more important to have a super strong pinch and thumb? Which exercise is the most effective for the big thumb muscle in the palm? I know it sounds newbie but I want to know.

Guest Jeff Roark

Heath if you read this I was messing around and you can make it progressive too. Just take a couple of heavy duty rubber bands and wrap the end up. It will be awhile until I progress that far though. I can only get mine down to an inch.

Jeff has substituted two #2 grippers for the

handbrakes on his bike. The brakes engage only

at full closure. Dangerous downhill in the rain.

The doctors believe his face can be reconstructed. :(

Jeff,

I missed something.  Please describe this "secret weapon" of Heath's.

BTW, where is Heath?  Is he lurking?  ???

"hey guys I've got this secret incredible device which has just transformed my hands and grip but which I cannot tell you about; anyway how do you develop the muscle in the thumb?"

what's this? another KTA-like secret to have people around here salivating? I thought this board was about sharing??

anyway, about your question:

I suggest you try (ballistic) moves with some weight hanging from the thumb. For instance, doing presses or cleans and jerks with a kettlebell on the inside of your forearm. This works great for me and absolutely kills my thumbs (specially with a thick handle).

hope I'm clear.

train hard

david

Guest Jeff Roark

Boy its easy to get in your guys feelings isn't it? The question was not about the device. I am having problem getting my thumb to regain its mass due to carpal tunnel surgury. The part between the index finger and the thumb is developing but not the meaty part of my thumb. Pinching does not seem to be helping it regain its former size and strength. But please nevermind that...

I wonder if I would have even got a reply if I hadn't put up that bullshit about a secret weapon... probably not. I wonder why Heath and some of the awesome posters of the past never hardly post anymore? It should be obvious. Good luck sharing with each other.

Ironminds TTK has given me good results in the hand muscle

that is being talked about.

I made some dumbells using foam roller pads from a legcurl

machine. The roller pads are 3" and 4". The 3" is preferable

for my use. These devices work the thumb real well. I work these dynamically as well as static.

I alternate the dynamic and static. One session dynamic. The

next will be static.

I am also experimenting with a steel disc that is 3/4 inch thick

and has a diameter of 18 inches. Weighs about 50lbs. I milled

a 1 inch hole in the middle for a loading pin for additional plates.

It feels to me, with this 3/4 thickness, the thumb is more involved in a more severe angular position and makes it

work harder.

I grip this device in a reverse fashion or like you would in

a platecurl grip (both hands at the same time).

I lift it dynamically. Crush it hard, lift it 3-4 inches set it back

down. Release, Recrush it hard and lift. I'm doing sets of 8-10

reps. It does blow the hand muscle up.

What the benefits are? Do not know yet. I have been doing it

for just a few weeks. Plan to tweak around and further experiment.

You are right Jeff, posting about using "secret" devices is bullshit... [nothing personal] :)

When you use the word "secret"... it's not really a secret - most likely a piece of equipment or new routine never seen before.

BTW, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..... NAW!!  That's a secret!!!  Sorry!!!!   :p  :hehe