Big Tony Scrivens

Bill Piche

My fingers are long (~8 3/4"), but very narrow (~4 1/2" palm, no thumb).  That is a VERY wide hand.

Question - Is PDA the only company making an Inch training handle?  I'd like to get one.

WOW!very cool!Thank you to Mr.and Mrs Scrivens,Wannagrip and Mr. Roark.

I know i beat it to death but I told ya he had a huge hand and a huge wrist!

:D

I received an e-mail from his wife regarding the measurements and I guess i was correct.Also One 'ring'finger is an 18 and the other 'ring'finger is a size 20.She also said Phils hands are a little longer but Tonys wider than Phil's.Phil and Tony have obviously competed with each other since 98 and on numerous occasions(i've been to a lot of the Pro Strongman contests-over a dozen)so i'm sure they had time to do the old hold up your hand against the other comparison.

I had already shaken Tony's hand in Burlington(and pfisters) but then at the Strongest Man Alive in St.Louis  I met Kaz,Ahola,Magnus ver Magnusson,510lb Jeff Maddy,6'7 1/2 400lb Doug Ahr,Pfister,390lb Ralph Williams,Neese,6'4"440lb Phil Makidisi(who BTW dwarfs Mark Henry in shear mass)and Tonys' was the biggest/thickest with Pfisters second.Also as mentioned in the 'handshake'thread they(inadvertantly)had the most controlling shake...Maddy's was up there but NFl'er Ken Blackman rates up there with ALL but Tony or phil.

Now that we have Big Tony on the grip page we should all try to convince him to actually start working on his grip.LOL...I don't think he does any specialty work for his hands.Just trys things as they come along.

It is possible,with encouragement we could see some spectacular lifts.

Thanks so much.

:0  :0 IMPORTANT THING IS WE HAVE A GREAT PHOTO AND PERHAPS A NEW GRIPMASTER? :D

Even though the pic of Tony with his hand on a tape measure suggests a palm width of 6'' The pic of him holding a Rolling thunder handle shows that he has plenty of room to hold the 6'' wide revolving section.

250RollingThunder.jpg

OldGuy,

Could this be an illusion due to seeing his four-fingers-

width instead of seeing his palm width on the RT?

In my case the palm is 1/2" wider than the four fingers

measurement.

Look at the photos again on the grippage and using the

straight part of the tape that is beside his hand, mark a

measurement and place that OVER his hand.

What reading do you get?

In the photo to the right, notice you can see the 6" mark

near his hand, and the tape is almost straight as it

extends to the 12" mark, which of course is 6". So mark

a piece of paper as you place it on your monitor, then

overlay Tony's hand with that paper. I get at least 6".

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Even these pictures don't do him justice. His fingers are big as hot dogs. I have know Brian Neese for many years,Schoonie for about 3 years,Doug Ahr I met 3 years ago, and also Phister 3 years ago. All of these guys have huge hands. But as far as finger size and palm thicknes they are not even in the same ball park as Tony.

Old guy,5 1/4 to 5 3/8?my hand is 4 1/2 and....wear a 13 ring and I was dwarfed!(not that i think my hands are big)

I just did the paper comparison test and i'll tell ya what i hope the big hand big feet thing the gals talk about is ..well...just a myth. ???nervously LOL

I think the Thunder pic is creating an illusion and you can't see all of the back of his hand and he might be actually ON or even past the lip of where the center revolving piece meets the other edge???  .The tension of the Thunder might effect the width a little?A measurement would be taken with the hand flattened(as i took mine)

Pics and angles create illusions but look how much of his quad is covered by his hand.He is 5 '11" 330+lbs and TONY is a big squatter and big legpresser...how big do you think those quads are?

The hand on the quad is pretty close to his feet-those are 15 1/2 quadruple EEEE's.Again NOT a way to measure but it gives some perspective.

It IS an experience to shake all those guys hands,most of the guys i listed were FAR bigger than normal-some of the biggest hands in the world perhaps- but Tony is from another planet.Oh well- Harlan(not a newbie)said it best.

Guest CalvinP

The biggest hands should belong to Pro wrestler Andre' The Giant. I saw it on TV where the commentator asked him to put his hand on the commentator face. And the face basicly disappeared. His ringe fingers are the size of a silver dollar that was what the commentator had said. I just don't know how he's pick his nose though! jk

Hehe, is hand-size a great advantage in grippers? I have heard some people say that it actually can be a disadvantage.

I figure that it is much easier to set the gripper with at large hand. I am trying to close a #3, the setting of the gripper is what bothers me. The gripper is so big.

My wrist is 8 inches, hand-length 7 3/4 inches, palm-width 4 inches at the fingers. With my measurements I probably wont set any Rolling Thunder world-records or lift the heaviest blob but I havent given up on the grippers :D

I heared that Joe Kinney dont have a particular large hand, neither do Brookfield? Are there any other big crushers with small/average hands? I hope to one day close the #4. I am only 21 and have lots of time to train  :p

On my monitor, the inch division = 3/4''. the hand is 4'' across on this scale. Therefore if 3/4' is equal to 1''  then 4'' is = to 5.3333. So that is where I come up with the estimate. This is all in fun. I have not met him. No doubt he has some of the biggest hands ever seen on a person of normal height, or anyone else for that matter. I do believe that hand span and finger length are more of an advantage than a wide palm and stubby fingers. A person with a narrower palm may have a wider handspan than Tony. I think I may have beaten this one to death now!

Offhand , I can only think of 4 people who have done a full deadlift from the floor with an Inch replica. Tony Scrivens, Chris James, Mark Henry, and Matt from Kevin fulton's competition. I hope to be able to do that some day.

I met Big Tony a couple of months ago.  When I went to shake his hand the first two things that came to my mind were 'bear paws' and 'I'm glad he's not my dad'.  Can you imagine getting a spanking from those paws as a kid!?!?  You'd never sit down again.

BC.

I not had the pleasure of a replica but have pulled the real deal from the floor. However, being dressed in formal wear didn't go 'all the way' as Old Guy might say.

The replica is slightly harder than the original, due to

the increased 1/8" handle diameter. John Wood, who

has lifted both is of this view, I am told, though it is

a distinction that does not matter for purposes of our

list.

Several anonymous people have deadlifted an Inch-

were there not three or four at the Arnold Classic in 2001?

Kim Wood says several of the Bengals succeeded on their

first hands-on try!

Now that the Inch is more widespread and is not

selectively offered for attempts, more and more will

succeed. The clean? Therein lies the rub.

Without getting into just how big the hand is, it is most certainly a BIG hand!! Congratulations to Mr Scrivens for the Inch lift - as I have said before, I hope he explores his grip potential.

Patrik

I don't know about kinney but i met Brookfield and saw him do an exhibition.you are correct he has very normal sized hand and i think his wrist was smaller than mine(8 1/4).Fingers normal size(again a little smaller than mine)

Long fingers and huge hands definitely an advantage on the rolling thunder.But i think a little extra width doesn't hurt-more surface area(my hand 4 1/2).I do pretty good on the thunder and not so good at a gripper...i don't practice the gripper though but  have done a few reps on a #2.

I was told- by a promoter-that pfister said the gripper is just too small for his hand and i don't know exactly what that meant but i do KNOW that phil has spent some time with brookfield and can do a lot of feats of grip strength-besides his rolling thunder or a 408#-per hand-farmers walk or(as in 2001 WSM)do a record braking HERCULES hold with a speech at the end for good measure.Maybe this will start a debate as big as Tony's hand size did?  :hehe I will add this :when pfister was holding a can of pop(or whatever it was)it looked like he was

holding a 'd'cell battery.Ok slight exageration.

:( But the gripper would look incredibly small in his hand?

bseedot,

i particiapate in some sparring from time to time.some guys have what we call 'heavy hands'-everything they hit you with has a wallop.I wonder how heavy Tony's hand are :hehe ?No really i wonder how much they weigh.LOLBut a spanking ..no thanks either.

Of note about Tony's deadlift of the INCH-as reported with both hands is the casualness of it and that he also did it after a contest(where he was injured)and his wife said he was also keeping the rope tight during I believe for the truck pull.Basically(if this is what he was doing)you hold the truck back as the athlete pulling it gets it tightened and in position to start the pull.Very exhausting job!

I think,as Roark said,there will be many more picking up the INCH.

A question to those in the know:  is there anyone under 6 feet in height, BW less than 250 pounds that can DL the Inch (besides Kinney)?   ???

Yeah, these guys are big dudes... maybe that gives them the advantage on the Inch.

I only weighed around 230 or less when I deadlifted it. I was still tall mind. However, as said before, I practised for it, many do not.