Form With Negatives

Anthony151

hello members of the gripboard i think next month i would like to start a program consisting with negatives and some other stuff from KTA but does anyone have any videos on proper form for doing these because i think i might be doing them wrong.

thanks, anthony

anthony: not an expert; some people does it during 7 sec fighting again the gripper or u can try to fight ALL the time and do just one single.

read teemu's log , he's doing negative training at the moment.

Edited by ewokhugo

hmm ok thanks, but does anyone have a video of like how to do them as when i attempt to do them it messes up my form.

like i heard in kta you are supposed to do negatives with the one higher than your goal gripper which is like impossible for me.

hmm ok thanks, but does anyone have a video of like how to do them as when i attempt to do them it messes up my form.

like i heard in kta you are supposed to do negatives with the one higher than your goal gripper which is like impossible for me.

I've done a lot of negatives a few different ways, but have settled into a few things that make them more effective, I think.

1) Only chalk your palm.

2) Tape the finger handle.

3) Pick a gripper where, after forcing it shut, it only pops open to 1/4" OR LESS. Ideally, I would use a filed gripper that only pops open to where it would be closed otherwise. As an example, if you can close a #2 as your max, consider using a #2 that has been filed or a #2.5.

4) Do them sitting down. For the right hand, brace your right elbow against the inside of your right knee. Set the gripper as deep as possible with your left hand (this will also help setting strength). Once the gripper is in your fingers, place the back of your left hand on the inside of your left knee. Then you can mash the gripper shut by using your left palm with the added power of your legs squeezing together. Force it all the way shut. If you can't make the handles touch, the gripper is too hard.

Hope that helps.

I've done a lot of negatives a few different ways, but have settled into a few things that make them more effective, I think.

1) Only chalk your palm.

3) Pick a gripper where, after forcing it shut, it only pops open to 1/4" OR LESS. Ideally, I would use a filed gripper that only pops open to where it would be closed otherwise. As an example, if you can close a #2 as your max, consider using a #2 that has been filed or a #2.5.

4) Do them sitting down. For the right hand, brace your right elbow against the inside of your right knee. Set the gripper as deep as possible with your left hand (this will also help setting strength). Once the gripper is in your fingers, place the back of your left hand on the inside of your left knee. Then you can mash the gripper shut by using your left palm with the added power of your legs squeezing together. Force it all the way shut. If you can't make the handles touch, the gripper is too hard.

Hope that helps.

its bits of information like this that makes the GB a great site

thanks mate

Should you be holding it shut for a few seconds and then slowly release it under your own strength or shut it and the force of the gripper wont let you hold it and you have to fight it the whole way?

Should you be holding it shut for a few seconds and then slowly release it under your own strength or shut it and the force of the gripper wont let you hold it and you have to fight it the whole way?

You can do them either way. One way is called a smooth out negative and the other is a negative crush.

pc

thanks guys for the help. Now i did read KTA and it did not have a video of how to do negatives. Also in KTA it says you should be doing negatives with a gripper higher than my goal gripper which would be like impossible for me as i cannot really even move the gripper 1 higher. Anyways ill tell you how it turns out.

thanks, anthony

1) Only chalk your palm.

Hope that helps.

its bits of information like this that makes the GB a great site

thanks mate

It is true - you do learn something new every day - thanks guys, I wasn't too sure on the negatives either

I do one set of NEG's after my goal gripper attempts, currently a BBSM. I use a 240N which is harder, but not impossible.

I try my hardest to shut it, then assist with my free hand, hold it shut or close to it for a 3 count, let it open to parallel, assist it shut and hold, open to parallel, assist it shut and hold again. 3 BRUTAL reps, but they seem to help. That's all I do for NEG's though as they're tough on the hands and I don't need an injury.

thanks guys for the help. Now i did read KTA and it did not have a video of how to do negatives. Also in KTA it says you should be doing negatives with a gripper higher than my goal gripper which would be like impossible for me as i cannot really even move the gripper 1 higher. Anyways ill tell you how it turns out.

thanks, anthony

I wouldn't say it is impossible...you just need the right gripper. Using specifically Ironmind grippers I would say that is a challenge. It is a little easier now that they have the .5 grippers (1.5, 2.5, 3.5). To be working toward a #2 and doing negatives with a #3 is extremely difficult...as most people with that difference in strength can't even set the gripper they will be doing negatives with. However, you can chose a gripper from the Beef Builder or Robert Baraban line. They offer much more variety in the strengths and you can find one that will fit your needs to do negatives with. If you need help selecting a gripper, feel free to ask here. There are lots of experienced athletes who can help.

I would offer a suggestion, but I don't know what your goal gripper is.

pc

Thanks for the help here are the following grippers i own.

Bone Crusher Grippers 100- 300

Heavy grips 200-250

COC #2

My bone crusher grippers are just about equal to my Heavy grip grippers. And my COC #2 is just about equal to my HG 250 and my BC 250.

Right now im working on mastering my BC 250 but my goal gripper would probably be my BC 300, which at the moment i can barely move as i believe the BC 300 one is what you would call a harder gripper as its like a half inch wider than every other one of my grippers and i can barely move it.

Right now do you think i should work on mastering my BC 250 and once i can move my 300 a little further than start doing negatives.

i know i gave alot of info here,

thanks guys

I would file down one of your 250s right now. :D

Force it shut, and squeeze with all your might.

See i thought of filing but the Bone crusher grippers are a very bad brand of grippers as i think it may fall apart after filing it. As my BC 100 fell apart on me know i use the BC 150 for warmups instead. For right now i think i might keep working on the 250 until i can get more used to closing it and then attempt negatives when im ready.

thanks guys.