Dont You Agree Me?

taekwondo911

hi,

the captains of crush #3.5 is rated at Rated at 322.5 lbs and the #4 is rated at 365

for an example teemu can close the 3.5 with even 2 fingers but cant close the #4!

why is that?

because it is a big step from the 3.5 to 4

so i think there should be a 3.75! :happy

what do you think?

Edited by taekwondo911

hi,

the captains of crush #3.5 is rated at Rated at 322.5 lbs and the #4 is rated at 365

for an example teemu can close the 3.5 with even 2 fingers but cant close the #4!

why is that?

what do you think?

I think that once you get your crush strength to an elite level. . . . progress is a very tough, long process. Even just to gain a couple pounds of grip strength is hard work. Also grippers vary, so some 3.5's feel like 4s, and so on. Also you can forget the COC pound ratings. These days only RGC data matters.

hi,

why is that?

what do you think?

I think that once you get your crush strength to an elite level. . . . progress is a very tough, long process. Even just to gain a couple pounds of grip strength is hard work. Also grippers vary, so some 3.5's feel like 4s, and so on. Also you can forget the COC pound ratings. These days only RGC data matters.

I agree with you, this is in everything in life even stamina for an example if you could run 20 miles it is hard to add a couple of miles.

BTW, what ia an RGC data??

Yep, it's what Casey says. Also, Teemu didn't close the 3.5 with his p&r, per se, he forced it and held it shut, which is different, but still insane. I'd bet he could do the same with the #4. And yes, scrap the IM ratings...they're in inch-pounds, which is torque, not pressure, and are never consistent anyway. Really, a perfect #3.5 is 179.91lb, and a perfect #4 is 209.2. RGC data is is the poundage of a gripper measured on the Redneck Gripper Calibrator.

You hang the weight of the end of the handle, and whichever weight closes it is the true poundage of the gripper.

Then, if you want, you can use a formula to calculate that poundage out to find it's 3-rating.

Edited by Magnus

Yep, it's what Casey says. Also, Teemu didn't close the 3.5 with his p&r, per se, he forced it and held it shut, which is different, but still insane. I'd bet he could do the same with the #4. And yes, scrap the IM ratings...they're in inch-pounds, which is torque, not pressure, and are never consistent anyway. Really, a perfect #3.5 is 179.91lb, and a perfect #4 is 209.2. RGC data is is the poundage of a gripper measured on the Redneck Gripper Calibrator.

You hang the weight of the end of the handle, and whichever weight closes it is the true poundage of the gripper.

Then, if you want, you can use a formula to calculate that poundage out to find it's 3-rating.

Oh cool machine

do you know the rating of the 1, 2 on that machine?

Oh cool machine

do you know the rating of the 1, 2 on that machine?

I believe a #1 would be 83#, and the #2 would be 110#

There's a lot going on here.

The IM ratings were done by Richard Sorin in a similar manner to the RGC ratings. He hung the weight from the middle of the handle and, as a result, the numbers were higher.

I think when PDA was calibrating grippers, their results where in IP. I'm not 100% on that so anyone correct as necessary.

Also, I personally think we need to be careful about saying "a perfect 3 is X lbs" or "a perfect 4 is X lbs". The decided upon numbers (150=3.0 for example) were based on a bit of data that was collected, but they are really just a made up conversion. There is no actual relationship there except it was a chosen average. The discussion in the other thread about sticking with the poundage makes more sense to me the more I think about it. As more grippers are calibrated, I think you can barely say something like "a #4 will usually calibrate around x pounds." There has been a HUGE range for grippers at almost every level.

It think the RGC is great for pounds when the gripper is closed, but I think the conversion is unnecessary.

taekwondo911, back to your comment, there ARE lots of grippers than can fill the gap between a #3.5 and #4. And, depending on what grippers you already have, another #3.5 or #4 might be just right.

There's a lot going on here.

The IM ratings were done by Richard Sorin in a similar manner to the RGC ratings. He hung the weight from the middle of the handle and, as a result, the numbers were higher.

I think when PDA was calibrating grippers, their results where in IP. I'm not 100% on that so anyone correct as necessary.

Also, I personally think we need to be careful about saying "a perfect 3 is X lbs" or "a perfect 4 is X lbs". The decided upon numbers (150=3.0 for example) were based on a bit of data that was collected, but they are really just a made up conversion. There is no actual relationship there except it was a chosen average. The discussion in the other thread about sticking with the poundage makes more sense to me the more I think about it. As more grippers are calibrated, I think you can barely say something like "a #4 will usually calibrate around x pounds." There has been a HUGE range for grippers at almost every level.

It think the RGC is great for pounds when the gripper is closed, but I think the conversion is unnecessary.

taekwondo911, back to your comment, there ARE lots of grippers than can fill the gap between a #3.5 and #4. And, depending on what grippers you already have, another #3.5 or #4 might be just right.

I agree that the conversions are unnecessary, and sticking with the poundage is better. But, when I said a "perfect" #X,

I just meant that that is the #X used for comparing the rest using a conversion, not that it should be the de facto standard for measuring grippers, or that, in fact, there is a "perfect" gripper rating for any one gripper. I think the pounds-only is definitely better, especially considering the variation between people/methods, margin for error, etc.

Edited by Magnus

hi,

why is that?

what do you think?

I don't think Teemu can close the #3.5 with 2 fingers, but I seen him on you tube closing it with a NO SET I believe. I can close the #2 with a NO Set, but can't close the #2.5 even with a deep set. That's just how it is sometimes. That extra strength required to the next level is hard to obtain and most can reach the #2, few reach the #3, and no one will really reach the #4. When I started gripping I wasn't able to close the #1, Today I can close the #1 for many reps and #1.5 for around 20 reps. I can close my friend's #2 for 5-6 Reps, yet can only close my #2 for 1-2 Reps. I really hope I won't be stuck at this level, so it seems the progress is moving slower than it was when I first started. Hopefully I can find a decent discussion here that actually talks about how to train efficiently. Doesn't seem there there is anyone on here explaining how to train or giving away some KTA exercises. My goal is only to obtain my goals from training on the grippers alone, without any other exercises catered for the grip. Hopefully that can be obtained. So far I'm happy with my #2 close, which I can demonstrate at any time, but would really wish to progress to #2.5 and beyond!

hi,

why is that?

what do you think?

I don't think Teemu can close the #3.5 with 2 fingers, but I seen him on you tube closing it with a NO SET I believe.

No, he didn't close it with 2 fingers, but he forced it shut and held it with his p&r. Here's the vid.

Just to add my opinion on the original question-

When I went to from closing the #1 to the #2 it was easy ( a couple of weeks training). Going from the #2 to the #3 was very very hard ( over 1 year hard training and wondering if it would ever be possible for me).

Now I've closed a #3 over two months ago, I've started playing with the big boy grippers, BBE, BBSE, BBGE and today I got myself a brand new #4 out of the packet (the first #4 I've tried) and all I can say is holy crap! The jump form the #3 to this #4 is a far greater gap then the #3 to #3.5 or any other grippers for that matter. The #4 feels much harder than the BBGE I have, I've been doing negs with the BBGE and I'm nowhere near closing it but it feels closable with hard training and focus......the #4 I got today though feels like a brick. Trying to even do negs with this thing is a joke and to be honest it made me think that anyone that's ever closed a #4 can't of had one this tough, I know though that this is how I felt when I first tried the #3!! Saying that, I'm yet to see anyone close a double stamped 2007 onwards #4 so perhaps they are tougher now, although that's a question for another thread......

To Say Ironmind need to make a #3.75 is a good idea as it would give us an Idea of who the best guys were as only a handfull would be able to close it. Although to be honest there are enough gripper brands out there offering #3.75 levels of gripper so for the guy training to close the #4 I think there are already tools out avalible to do the job.

Emphasis on LONG! With reasonable goals you can do it slowly, minimize injuries, and without the need for a #3.75.

Give yourself a 5 year goal of closing a #3. I mean TNS, inverted, the whole show.

Then once there, give yourself a 5 year goal of closing a #4.

make little goals in the process and you're bound to succeed. Problem is most are not interested in doing a 10 year sentence. :)

Give yourself a 5 year goal of closing a #3. I mean TNS, inverted, the whole show.

Then once there, give yourself a 5 year goal of closing a #4.

OMG, where did you come up with this? :blink

There are some guys that are closing the #3 much faster than others - for me, it took two long hard years of training.

By the same token, 95 - 99% of those guys won't approach the level of strength needed to close the #4 no matter how hard or long they work at it. That's why there are only 5 guys on the list for the #4.