Best Way To File A Gripper

steelbiceps

I see some pictures of grippers filed off the inside of just one handle, but I'm thinking of doing it off the insides of both handles symmetrically. Is there a good reason to choose one way or the other?

I have always filed the non dogleg handle.

I have filed both sides before and I could see it becoming a problem if you over do it. Seems like you could pinch the skin of your hands if you file too much off both sides. That said I have never actually had that problem happen but my hands aren't that thick.

I like to file one handle.

When nothing is filed, the two rounded handles come together and only touch at a single point.

If you file one handle, there is still a round handle touching a flat handle at a single point. In other words, you can really bugger up the filed handle and it doesn't really matter (Luke). :tongue

When you file both handles, it's difficult to get both flat surfaces to line up along their edge. Especially when you try and account for the torsion in the gripper. It's totally possible, but more needless work, I think.

I just think it's much easier to file away on 1 handle. :D

I think there would definitely be a greater chance of pinching yourself if you filed both. If you file one, it leaves a moon-shaped gap for clearance, but

if you file both, it makes them both close perfectly flush, which makes corners, which will pinch ya :D

Thanks guys. All your logic sounds good. I can picture the pinching & aligning being a nuisance. I'll go ahead and file the non-dogleg.