Grip Newbie Looking For Advice

SteR-

hey guys

I'm kinda new to all this grip training stuff. At the moment I lift for football and I'm interested in improving my crushing strength. As it stands, the only grip work I've ever really done is static db/bb holds for improving my deadlift. I've also thrown in the odd set of plate pinches and barbell forearm curls but I've never really focussed on my grip.

I've just ordered the CoC trainer and #1 gripper. I've had a look at the newbie FAQs etc and from what I understand I have to 'build up a base' before I get started on the heavy stuff. So I was thinking for the next 7 days or so I do 100-200 reps throughout the day with the trainer? is this correct? Atm my crushing strength is kinda pathetic and I can only close the #1 once/twice on each hand.

The thing I'm more concerned with however is how to progress once I've done this first week of getting my joints prepared. I've seen some of the beginner workouts and it involves a fair number of exercises but I don't intend spending an extra half hour or so after workouts on grip. I'm just wondering if there's some sort of compromise I can come to where I can train my crushing strength without having to spend ages working on it.

I was thinking of doing 3x a week but I'm not sure how I should structure reps/sets etc? Any advice?

Ster: first of all many congratalations; u can do 1/2 reps with your coc#1 NOW ...it took me a couple of weeks:-)

i believe 3 x week are a good start ... i recommend to use a lot of reps during the day : "greasing the groove",get used to crush that gripper. 1,5 year ago i couldnt close my #1 ... after less than 1 year i closed my #2.5 without any type of training(just picking my favourite toy during the day and CLOSE it for reps.)after the #2.5 i become very interest to learn more and suddently i see myself in "deep" trouble to improve. I dont believe a "great" routine play a big difference for a begginer. I dont mean to say i m the example u should look up but if i were u i would train smart and improve the technique (very important).

Gripper training is as much about conditioning the skin as it is the tendons and muscles, especially when you start out. Being a beginner you will be very prone to blistering, look after your skin and try and base your training frequency/volume around conditioning the skin to start with or at least pay it a little extra attention. :)

Check oput David Horne's programme for beginners in the FAQ, that'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks, I've already taken a look at this and this was the problem I was trying to address really. I've seen all the exercises but I find it very hard to fit all this into my schedule as I'm already pushed for time with my regular workouts (I literally finish 5 mins before the gym closes) so I don't have the time to squeeze it in. I'm just wondering if there's some way to compact it so I can fit it in.

Gripper training is as much about conditioning the skin as it is the tendons and muscles, especially when you start out. Being a beginner you will be very prone to blistering, look after your skin and try and base your training frequency/volume around conditioning the skin to start with or at least pay it a little extra attention. :)

damn you're telling me lol. It's only my 2nd day (I did 100 reps on trainer yesterday) and I can feel the skin getting irritated on my fingers. Is there any way to prepare for this? It seems fingerless weightlifting gloves don't help at all.. maybe I should use some rubber gloves or something? Or just let the skin take a beating and hope that it toughens up??

i think thats a lot of work with the grippers to start with, your definitely going to need contrast baths if you keep that up

I wouldn't actually recommend doing 100s of closes, you'll run out of skin quite quickly. If I were you I would warm up with the trainer, do a few hard sets on your #1, then close the trainer as many times as you can for a finisher. To save time you can do this between sets of pressing or squatting exercises.