Wrist workout

Guest champs

On the topic of wrist training...has anyone ever tried those pushups on the back of your wrists???  I can't even do one as the pain is just too intense for me.

Someday I'll be wrist curling a 25lb and 10lb plate together -wicked weight!!!

Jon@han

Guest CalvinP

Hi Jonathan

How much do you weigh? I weigh only 140# so wrist push up is easy for me. I saw Jackie Chan did this, only He reversed (flopped) his hands everytime he went down again (back to palms) and keep flip-flop it over N over. Ouch! Try to do this on your knee until your wrists conditioned. My Kung Fu classmate did this by just hold the wrists there without pushup (be careful). Lately I 've been doing twisting-curl with dumbell (loaded to one side only) 2 weeks ago , now I see forearm muscles on the outside I've never seen before. In fact my outter forearm still sored. Today, to my surprise I picked up a bottle of 3 Gl. water by the side handle and held it straigth up quite easy, despite the soreness. So I hope I can do the 5 GL. bottle in the future (18.9 Kilo). I have small wrist of 6.1/2" So I need all the build up I can. I found out twisting-curl is better for me, because "the pump" did not inhibits my arm from doing normal and delicated movement such as drawing. Wrist-curl's pump will make my hands lose all the small movements until the pump go away. I started with very light weight at 12#, now I get up to over 22#. I felt I can higher, but the pain on the base of my right thumb quite high (from unknow cause..fading away though) plus I want to give my wrists time to get used to this kind of movement. I know the feeling is you want to load it up high. I can't afford the risk, but I love to do it at 50# or more later.

Calvin,

I'm 5'6, 193lbs and not very lean.  Thanks for the tips on the wrist pushups...I thought it might be a good exercise to stretch the ligaments/etc. in the wrist and hand.

Jon@han

Tom,

The arm if straight, no bent elbow or bent wrist, but the

forearm may be tensed via a clenched fist. Some of the early

American measurements may not have been taken this way, but Inch used to complain that the Americans had changed

from the proper way (explained above)

Really doesn't matter- unless we are comparing to previous

recorded measurements, then of course, copying the method

is important.