Cyberpump server situation

Bill Piche

Wannagrip, TheEditor, and the hidden forces of light

behind the scenes should have practiced net birth

control, but did not.

So growth and popularity have caused a housing shortage.

Pitching in with a touch of rent seems reasonable.

It also seems reasonable (to me) that those who want a

free ride should have free read access only, and not be

able to post.

Everybodys intentions are in the right place, bandwidth however is a pretty penny and It would be great to get an idea exactly what we are up against (price wise) so we can setup a plan of attack  :crazy

mailing a donation seems like it would only be a temporary solution. also charging a subscription could greatly hamper participation in cyberpump pages (a popular bodybuilding site went under after trying such a thing). I think the cyberpump crew should take another look at the tacky flashing ad signs. The ones that just flash at the top of the screen are hardly noticable. Of course those crappy ones that keep popping up on geocities bug the #### out of everyone.

bottom line: some small ads at the top would be a good way for these sites to sustain growth without too much annoyance, and may provide some coin for webmasters for special events of some kind.

Email me for for the address.

With the visitors overall daily (the whole of cyberpump.com), 2 dollars per person would probably set us for nearly two years.

It's not the bandwidth...yet. :)

It's the machine itself that's the issue.  A dedicated server means a PC with just one site on it (this site) to use all resources.

This will buy time for me to pursue other means (if there are any) and not bring the site to a grinding halt.

Prove me wrong, please. But assume 50% of the

traffic will not contribute, and make it an even $5.

If we can't spare that much, it is time for a new

interest.

When the Sorin tapes were offered to members for donations-they seemed to go pretty fast.

Maybe you could offer a grip board training manual-put together by grip members each with their own section.  Of course, not everyone could participate-but if you take the big crushers, pinchers, thick bar, etc. guys and get them together-it could be cheap-spiral bound-and sell for $20.00 a pop.

Another option is to offer a pay only site-that means the guys who pony up the dough can get into the members only site that will have perks beyond the grip board in and of itself.  Dave Tate at www.elitefts.com is going to do the same type of thing-offer special articles, training tips, and other perks for those who pay.  And, I believe he is only going to charge $10 or so a month.  I know I am paying for it when it comes.  Maybe the grip board can offer member shirts, organize get togethers, swap grippers, etc.  You can computer guys can think up what to do with it.

Maybe someone should look into making The Grippage its own page-seperate completely from Cyberpump?

Of course, you could just go the route of accepting donations.  But, make sure to make it known who has donated and who hasn't.  This way-people can't hide out and claim to have donated even though they didn't.  

Come on guys-we have 1343 registered members.  If we each donate $20, thats $27,000.  

What price will you pay to keep this board up and running??  We pay more then $20 for a gripper that we would be clueless about if not for The Grippage.

Dig into your pockets boys-

Rick Walker :hehe

There are other webboards going through a lot more traffic than this one out there, and the grip page isn't exactly a 24/7 news site.  I think you'd be best looking for alternate hosting arrangements as the grip page itself seems to be using relatively few resources.  This is just my 0.02 but this was my job once upon a time...

I'd rather pay a bit and have the grippage guaranteed to succeed than be pitching in for all of cyberpump and find out that the rest didn't do their part and the site won't float.

Wannagrip. TheEditor and the other forces of light etc

need cash now. Not next month ,not after books are

written, or tee shirts manufactured (ask Wannagrip how

many tee shirts have been sold so far- that's NOT an

option). These good suggestions may help in the future,

but the immediate patch is money.

The grip board may have 1300 plus signees, but how

many post? Or even drop by regularly?

Just talked to a friend of mine who does not visit the

grip board very often but is willing to kick in $10- and

that is for two visits a month.

Vote with your wallet please.

Ok i've just used "paypal" to give 5$ to cyberpump (in fact the donation is to wannagrip whose identity i'm sure of now :D :D :D ). Now please when you make a donation add a reply below. Like that i'll know that i'm not the only guy who REALLY wants and BE SURE to see the grippage live. I'll also know that i didn't give five bucks for nothing.

Thanks.

Long live to our grippage.

Amaury.

amaury wrote:

Now please when you make a donation add a reply below. Like that i'll know that i'm not the only guy who REALLY wants and BE SURE to see the grippage live. I'll also know that i didn't give five bucks for nothing.

Thanks.

Long live to our grippage.

I've just donated $10.00.  Running a website as big as Cyberpump and its associated sites is a lot of work that should be applauded.  You know what, I think I'm going to get one of those T-Shirts too.

You know what, I think I'm going to get one of those T-Shirts too.

So do i ! :D

I thought of it before but i think that now it's the right time.

Great, Tom ! :)

And thanks for the reply. I hope this topic will be the longest of the grippage history.