Is Posting My Arm On My Abdomen Legal For Unbraced Bending?

lightweight

It was suggested to me on one of my last bends to try posting one arm and driving down with the other. This technique has proved to be dynamite, I just bent my first 6.5" red with it.... but is this technique legal for certing on bastards since it's kinda bracing the bend? The point my elbow posts on is a couple inches below my belly button line, a bit over my hip(I have a big bruise to prove it) :)

If it's legal I'll keep it up, otherwise I might let it go.

Thanks

I kind of wondered about this myself since I had seen that technique in a couple videos. I then read the rules on David Horne's site and it states this -

"3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach."

FBBC site states this -

"1) NO BRACING - HANDS MAY BE AT ANY BODY LEVEL, BUT HANDS & ARMS MUST BE FREE OF ANY BODY PART BELOW THE WAIST. YOU MAY REST THE ARMS AGAINST THE CHEST/ABDOMEN."

Seems like you should be OK to me. Maybe the experienced guys will chime and to confirm this.

Edited by gumpster

Well, I use the post and drive crush down, BUT, I don't brace my post arm on anything such as my abdomen/chest. I find that if you use just the right angle, your free hanging post arm can be pretty immobile(kinda using your lats and pecs to hold the post arm still. As far as using your abdomen as a solid brace? I would say no. If you accidentally brush/graze it on the way down? Sure, as it is not helping you with the bend. Just my 2 cents. :cool

I kind of wondered about this myself since I had seen that technique in a couple videos. I then read the rules on David Horne's site and it states this -

"3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach."

FBBC site states this -

"1) NO BRACING - HANDS MAY BE AT ANY BODY LEVEL, BUT HANDS & ARMS MUST BE FREE OF ANY BODY PART BELOW THE WAIST. YOU MAY REST THE ARMS AGAINST THE CHEST/ABDOMEN."

Seems like you should be OK to me. Maybe the experienced guys will chime and to confirm this.

These rules are not exact science and are subject to changes (I know from own experience :D). If I understand the technique correctly then I would certainly say it's not allowed.

It's called unbraced bending for a reason ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

You need to seperate the different rules for the different styles.

"3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach." Is a rule that apply the reverse style.

Otherwise it is ok if your hands and forearms post or brace on your upperbody. This rule makes bending more safe because it reduces the chance of slipping and hurting your wrists.

But elbows touching legs or anything else is a no-no. Just the hands and forearms touching the upper body is ok.

Yeah, it didn't seem like it would be legal when I was doing it. But I wasn't sure of any other way to post my arm as suggested.

Foxman I'll have to give your free hanging post a try, do you know of any vids that show it well?

Thanks

"3. No part of competitor’s hands or forearms may touch the body. Upper arm down to elbow is allowed contact with chest/stomach." Is a rule that apply the reverse style.

Oh, I was only thinking of reverse in this case. I guess you could kind of try that technique in DO and DU styles but it seems really weird.

Otherwise it is ok if your hands and forearms post or brace on your upperbody. This rule makes bending more safe because it reduces the chance of slipping and hurting your wrists.

But elbows touching legs or anything else is a no-no. Just the hands and forearms touching the upper body is ok.

Well I'm bending DO, so I'm guessing it's a no-no for bracing on my upperbody. I want to bend big stuff, I just don't want my bends to be cheapened by techniques which are questionable. If it raises eyebrows I won't continue practising it. It seems like it's open for interpretation in the rules, as seen by the posts already so I'm a bit confused, but unless it gets the boards (or Johns) gold seal there's not much point in bending that way.

Edit* The part of the bend in question is the last part of the sweep and the crush. Sorry for any confusion with thinking it might be on the kink for reverse bending.

Edited by lightweight

Well I'm bending DO, so I'm guessing it's a no-no for bracing on my upperbody. I want to bend big stuff, I just don't want my bends to be cheapened by techniques which are questionable. If it raises eyebrows I won't continue practising it. It seems like it's open for interpretation in the rules, as seen by the posts already so I'm a bit confused, but unless it gets the boards (or Johns) gold seal there's not much point in bending that way.

Edit* The part of the bend in question is the last part of the sweep and the crush. Sorry for any confusion with thinking it might be on the kink for reverse bending.

Iv'e been thinking of doing the same thing and brace with the elbow on the hip/lower stomach area. But I doubt that it would be considered ok.

What sometimes happens when I'm in the same part of the bend is that I post my thumb knuckle on my chest to keep a good grip on the bar. That would still be considered ok.

Just as a note- To change or remove the rule that lets your hands and forearm make contact with your upper body would eliminate the DO and DU style. So that rule is a keeper.

Yeah, it didn't seem like it would be legal when I was doing it. But I wasn't sure of any other way to post my arm as suggested.

Foxman I'll have to give your free hanging post a try, do you know of any vids that show it well?

Thanks

Sure, My Insane vid shows it pretty well from about 5:30 on. Hope this helped!! :cool

Insane DO Vid

Thanks

The first person I'm aware of that did the posted brace (or free hanging post) is Acorn. You ought to check his videos and see how he does it. It's worked well for him and a few others.