Thumb Placement For 2hp

barbe705

I was talking to Josh Dale at MGC6 and he said he was using too much knuckle on the pinch. This let him know his thumbs weren't where they needed to be. That seems to be the only spot I ever hit. So, my question is, how do you place you thumbs and how do you try to apply pressure. Maybe I have odd biomechanics but, I seem to place all of the stress right on the first knuckle of my thumb and very little on the the actual pad. Thoughts?

brent

Brent,

Some guys use more of the side of the thumb, maybe this is what Josh meant. I tend to have my thumb more straight on. If you can watch Dave Horne's Iron Grip DVD, he explains all this and more better than I could here.

Way back when we had the Chat Room - David was kind enough to coach me thru how to learn (teach myself) to do the 2HP. I have 5 or 6 pages of notes somewhere around here where I tried different grips and pressures of all kinds. I really want to bring my pinch up so it's back to taking notes again - we'll see how it goes.

As for thumb placement - I can do about the same with either placement but one hurts and the other doesn't.

I guess that taking notes and seeing what works might be the way to go. I was going to try and train pinch twice a week. But, the way I'm doing it is pretty hard on my thumb. One idea I had was to try front loading to take stress off of the thumb and train my thumb some other way that doesn't tear it up so much.

brent

I was talking to Josh Dale at MGC6 and he said he was using too much knuckle on the pinch. This let him know his thumbs weren't where they needed to be. That seems to be the only spot I ever hit. So, my question is, how do you place you thumbs and how do you try to apply pressure. Maybe I have odd biomechanics but, I seem to place all of the stress right on the first knuckle of my thumb and very little on the the actual pad. Thoughts?

brent

One of the challenges for me is the wider widths feel better as far as it not slipping out to that first knuckle/blob callous but I'm not as strong, as 180 felt horrible at 65mm. To clarify: 65 felt great when I gripped up and then reality set in when I started to lift. I think I'm going to just have to break down and buy a pinch apparatus because the transition to 54 when I'm used to pinching on 63mm, just ain't gettin it. I'm also going to experiment with placing the fingers a little further apart so I can get more of the flat part of my thumb on there. I seem to be using more side now and I don't feel as strong.

I think distance between hands when you set plays a role. I've been placing my index fingers about 2 inches apart. then I place my thumbs a little closer together. I might have to try placing my thumbs even closer together to get more of the pad on.

Brent

I finally solved the inability to train pinch by making a 2" pinch setup from a piece of 2"x6" rectangular stock - the edges are a nice smooth larger radius - finally I can actually train pinch and not bleed. Being able to train more often will hopefully help out. Sharp edges serve no purpose I can see - take a grinder to your training setup and round them until it doesn't hurt so much. And Josh - I agree - I can't go down from 64 to 54 either and do anything - get yourself a good set up to train with.

I've been looking into some 2" stock this week. Does anybody sell set ups domestically?

brent

I've been looking into some 2" stock this week. Does anybody sell set ups domestically?

brent

Scott George does but I think he's gone right now?

Sharp edges serve no purpose I can see - take a grinder to your training setup and round them until it doesn't hurt so much.

I think i'll do it for my apparatus because it's very sharp & it tears the skin of the base of my thumbs.

I tried another thing. I let a space between the cavity thumb-forefinger & the edge of the 2HP to lift the apparatus with the fingers a little more

I see a lot of people using the below grip. I have smaller hands so my finger pad does not entirely fit around the device like others. The positioning, as I understand it, is basically the same.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7568

I have more recently been usuing the grip below. I have much less thumb on the device, but more fingers and my entire finger pad fits over the edge this way. I use a good bit of tilt and I actually feel much stronger this way than with full thumb contact. Everyone I've suggested this to has said it doesn't feel right, or that they are much weaker, but it works for me and I don't get thumb tears from it.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7567

Scott George does sell them but I think he's back right now, or will be in July?

I've been using a bit of a gap myself. I also have to wonder how much difference it makes when I transition from plates to a real pinch set up. I'm not getting one too soon so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll do what I can with the plates.

Brent

Go to your steel supplier - buy a piece of 2" x 6" 11Ga rectangular tubing one foot long - it should cost roughly $20 (the gauge doesn't matter) - stop by Tractor Supply and buy an eight or 10" long 1" bolt and nut (sold by the pound - I used a grade 5 bolt) - get someone to weld the nut in the middle on the bottom of the 2" piece - put your weight plates on the bolt - screw the 2" piece onto the nut - chalk it up and lift it. It's a terrific training tool and at 2" is about 50 mm so the transition isn't bad to either 48 or 54 mm in a competition. The rounded edges allow for a lot of training with no thumb tears.

Chris,

Do you have a picture of this? Also, tomorrow I plan to clean up the computer and send all the pics from OSG.

Brent

Go to your steel supplier - buy a piece of 2" x 6" 11Ga rectangular tubing one foot long - it should cost roughly $20 (the gauge doesn't matter) - stop by Tractor Supply and buy an eight or 10" long 1" bolt and nut (sold by the pound - I used a grade 5 bolt) - get someone to weld the nut in the middle on the bottom of the 2" piece - put your weight plates on the bolt - screw the 2" piece onto the nut - chalk it up and lift it. It's a terrific training tool and at 2" is about 50 mm so the transition isn't bad to either 48 or 54 mm in a competition. The rounded edges allow for a lot of training with no thumb tears.

Picture in my gallery Brent

I see. I might have to try and get one together this weekend. That looks like it would be a lot easier on the hands.

brent