No Set Form? Newbie Here Thanks

DeathKnight

I only have like 3 videos up and would really appreciate it if you guys would help em on my no sets. Near the end of the close it feels a bit weird. I can't describe it, like the gripper shifts i guess. Like the handle on my palm isnt fixed, mayb ei need chalk?

Anywhere here is my account. Thanks guys!

http://youtube.com/user/carnagex90

What usually happens during a no set is the handle near your thumb slides back a little bit. Even the strongest get that sometimes. It is also the reason No Sets are the most difficult way to close a gripper. If you get yourself some lifting chalk, you can rid yourself of much of the slippage. You'll still want to work on your technique, but it will make it easier to hold onto :)

Oh yeah, Ironmind sells chalk. If your lucky, some sporting goods stores might have some around you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I used to have the same problem when I started, and chalk helped alot. Really let's you keep a strong set.

And Zach's right; sporting good stores probably won't sell chalk...I had a really hard time finding any. Go figure ;)

Try an outdoors store that would have rock climbing / bouldering supplies. I got a huge brick of magnesium carbonate chalk for $1 at an Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) store.

Try an outdoors store that would have rock climbing / bouldering supplies. I got a huge brick of magnesium carbonate chalk for $1 at an Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) store.

I found some at a sporting goods store near me and they were selling t for $9.80 for a 2oz. block! Needless to say, I did not buy.

You can get a pound for about $9.00 at http://www.muscledriver.com

Chalk helps with the gripper slipping, but I feel that TONS of practice with the technique will help this as well. Get so comfortable manipulating the gripper in your hand that it's second nature. Even then, you're typically going to forfiet an ideal hand position.

So the other thing you can do is get really strong Beyond the Range. When the gripper slips in your hand, the only reason that's harder is because you have to close the gripper farther. It's almost like BTR without filing the gripper. So if you get real stong on filed grippers, your "no set" closes will improve because you'll still have gas in the tank even if the handle position isn't ideal.

For Chalk try eBay, also try looking for magnesium carbonate, to help widen your search. Here's one on "Buy it now!" (Item number: 290241373288) :)