Question And,observation

1stCoC

I was invited to watch a final squat workout last night by Don Thompson prior to defending his world record power total in England against the mighty Andy Bolton and after Donnie knocked out an almost "casual" 1105 (yes 1105!) Big Tex his spotter grinning ear to ear stood a 70lb hex dumbbell on end grabbed it by the face and deadlifted it. I was tired, and gave it a go... it didn't budge for me. I dont know how "good" that is but it sure got my attention! Bert got a video of it and we will try to put it up soon. My question is.. has anyone done this movement or with this much?...I really liked it as a potential exercise I did it years ago with the rounded York bells but the hex thing felt quite challenging ( and easy to purchase) Any feedback guys? RS

Richard - I just went out to the garage and mine is stuck to the floor too :blush

Mr. Sorin,

I have done this before and use to train it quite frequently. It is no easy task for sure...congrats to Tex :rock

Chad Woodall

I think I remember Wade saying he's done it and something to the effect of "it makes the blob look easy".

If you drop that down to a measly 40 lb. hex (as high as I own) then yes I've down that many times :D

I like using uncut hex's for pinch like that, I find it challenging, and the weight swings around at the bottom, making it harder. 70lbs that way I can't even imagine... I think I might only be able to fit my thumb and pinkie around that... 70 Wow that's tough :rock

Ok guys drag the hexes out and go to work! Any 80lb lifters out there ( remember to "clarify" it is the entire dumbbell not half of one, so, you are actually lifting 70lbs or whatever the whole bell weighs) Thanks for the replys!RS

Ok guys drag the hexes out and go to work! Any 80lb lifters out there ( remember to "clarify" it is the entire dumbbell not half of one, so, you are actually lifting 70lbs or whatever the whole bell weighs) Thanks for the replys!RS

Mr. Sorin,

Did you get my email? I sent it to your Sorinex account.

Thanks

Well, I've tried doing that with my hex 50s, and they didn't budge for me either, so don't feel too bad :)

But man, doing that with 70s...Tex is just, wow.

Edited by Magnus

I tried this today starting out with a hex 50 and got it with my right hand but couldnt get it with my left....i kinda like this lift and will prolly incorporate it in to my training as i really have not access to blobs...but yeah a 70 pound hex is pretty wild and for now only a dream for me.

Well, I've tried doing that with my hex 50s, and they didn't budge for me either, so don't feel too bad :)

But man, doing that with 70s...Tex is just, wow.

I have done a 70 on a few occasions, the first time being probably around 5 years ago. When I do it none of my fingers or thumb touch the part with the number on it, only the flat surfaces. It is extremely hard to do and conditions have to be just right to get it. A 60 is there all the time but a 70 is a different story. 75 or 80 would be a considerable feat. Good job Tex. Richard, I suspect your hand might be too small for this one but maybe you will prove me wrong.

Wade

Yeah guys? Well... well I failed to lift my 30 hex blob in this fashion... :cry

this is the only kind of pinch i've been able to try and i was barely able to get a 35 lb. off the ground :blush

Tex doesn't have big joints or thick hands but they are long and so strong...when I saw him lifting the things I became amazed pretty quick.( beacause it shut me down pretty quick and the ease in which he lifted them)) I plan on working on it a bit . In some of the specialty feats (grippers included) I think a learning time curve is naturally included and needs to be addressed because it involves more than "just strength " to do these things like this. Thanks guys! RS