Another Michigan Comp?

MalachiMcMullen

I have been thinking about holding a contest for awhile now but never really did anything about it. Well, I'm doing something about it. What I would be doing, as per Ben's suggestion, is holding a contest specifically designed for qualifying for GGC. I am not sure how many of you guys haven't qualified but I happen to be only 1 contest lift/bend away :rolleyes Unfortunately, GGC is on August 30th if I remember right. It is now June 23rd so it would be extreme short notice as far as comps go. This would be at the end of July on a Saturday in Southeast Michign, in my neck of the woods :)

Events would be something like this,

TNS Grippers(only because I found out I'm decent at TNS ;) )

2HP(I would need someone to bring an official implement)

2" Vbar

DO axle deadlift

Medley

I will substitute Reverse Bending if Jedd, Bob or someone else with a 2HP is unable to make it.

I do not have a date set currently but I will be working on it.

If there ends up being a comp fee, it will be $20 or less. I would like to dispense with the prize system for this one comp so I would only require enough to pay for the food :)

So guys, any interest in a prizeless qualifying MI comp in late July?

Google Earth or Mapquest "Temperance, MI 48182" to get an idea of where the comp would be held.

Brouse, you'll be in MI for this one so , if it happens, you better show!!!!!

Shit, I need to rest.

The euro pinch is at Larkin's, yours to borrow if you need it Zach.

Also, my advice is that if you are holding a qualifier, make all the lifts qualifiers.

This might be a good idea if the interest is there. I held 2 meets a year for a few years, but it just got too big for me to handle.

Brouse, you'll be in MI for this one so , if it happens, you better show!!!!!

I haven't trained my hands in 4 months. But I will still beat you. :)

Glad to see you're gauging interest Zach. It'll help you get qualified for the GGC. I won't make it since I've already spent my allotment for the year. But I'll be thinking of you guys and wishing you the best.

Oh yeah, for those of you on the edge of qualifying like myself, this will be the LAST opportunity before GGC to qualify. And Bob was right about the events, I posted this at nearly midnight so my brain was shot. The events will be the qualifyer events,

MMS Grippers

2HP

2" Vbar

Reverse Bending

DO Axle Deadlift

I'll need a few "I'll be there"s for me to try and get this rolling. The venue will be my family's new garage, 4000 sqft of floor space... so long as I push the junk to the sides :)

Zach,

I can come down and help if I'm in Town the weekend you have it.

I should have my 2HP setup back shortly, you are welcome to use it for the Conest.

Zach,

I should have my 2HP setup back shortly, you are welcome to use it for the Conest.

Thanks for the offer Dave!!! Careful, I might take you up on it ;)

BTW, I figure I'll call this the "Last Chance Qualifier"

thats a good idea

do you have to get the 3 required minimum s

in the comp ?

Qualification Chance 2: Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during 2007-2008 competition:1" Vertical Bar - 290

2" FBBC Vertical Bar - 200

Gripper - IM #3 or equivalent (140#), or 150# choker close

Reverse Bending - Grade 5x6" bolt

Axle Deadlift - 290

Plate Pinch - 170

or just place top 3?

thats a good idea

do you have to get the 3 required minimums in the comp ?

or just place top 3?

Either. If there are enough competitors, then a top 3 placing will qualify you. If you perform all 3 lifts, or have peformed 1 or 2 lifts prior and the 2nd and/or 3rd at my comp, then you are also qualified.

Zach,

The LCQ. It's catchy and it works like the BBB or the MGC. Nice.

Zach, I am thinking of buying an Apollon's Axle...the real deal...if I did you could use it. Of course, an unseasoned AA is a lot different than the rusty one.

Zach,

The LCQ. It's catchy and it works like the BBB or the MGC. Nice.

Zach, I am thinking of buying an Apollon's Axle...the real deal...if I did you could use it. Of course, an unseasoned AA is a lot different than the rusty one.

That would be AWESOME MATT!!!!!!!! I would gladly use it, provided, of course, that you bring it along and compete ;) I've wanted one for awhile but the price has kept me away as of yet. I hate being a college kid :angry:

Apollon's axle is way over priced for a hollow bar...

2" solid chromed steel from New York Barbells is 78lbs and friggin sweet buy for a similar price.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0055.html

Or you can get their hollow version for only $100.

You can also get the same stuff from Midwest Barbell(which is actually who I bought mine from).

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/midwe...l/Detail?no=237

Apollon's axle is way over priced for a hollow bar...

2" solid chromed steel from New York Barbells is 78lbs and friggin sweet buy for a similar price.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0055.html

Or you can get their hollow version for only $100.

You can also get the same stuff from Midwest Barbell(which is actually who I bought mine from).

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/midwe...l/Detail?no=237

I've actually seen those before, good bars I hear. However, I'm not sure about the type of axle that can be used in a qualifier. I know that an AA can be used but if there is a standard set or not I do not know.

I'm not terribly interested in having a thick bar with knurling. Plus, I've got some cash that needs to be spent irresponsibly.

I'm not terribly interested in having a thick bar with knurling. Plus, I've got some cash that needs to be spent irresponsibly.

Amen brother, amen.

Don't you work with steel a lot Zack? A 2" solid bar would be about $100 and indestructible. I don't know if you could trust the AA with rack pulls.

That's true, if you can manage to fabricate your own and it wil still work for qualifying give that a shot, then.

I've used and abused two different axle with my current training crew and they've held up pretty well to rack work, mis-racks (heh...), awkward dumps from OH, etc, etc. They are pretty nice. Okay, now I am just talking myself into buying one...sheesh.

Make the comp on a SUNDAY and I can be there and can bring my IM axle if you need one. I would LOVE to try and qualify for GCG and will do what I can to help make it happen.

Sunday would likely work for me as well. Still don't know what the schedule will be like after the move, however, so just guessing.

Make the comp on a SUNDAY and I can be there and can bring my IM axle if you need one. I would LOVE to try and qualify for GCG and will do what I can to help make it happen.

Andrew, sorry we missed you at the MGC man! You won't be "trying" to qualify with your crazy strength. I was going to offer up my IM axle too but there are plenty of guys closer to you than me. Glad to see the interest is there for this Zach. You'll host a great contest I'm sure. Hope to hear that Ryan competes in another one as well. He's got the physical tools.

Well if a Sunday works better for you and might work for Matt then I'll aim for either 7/20 or 7/27. I just got the OK from my parents and I think there is sufficient interest, plus I have a few locals that could probably make it.

Andrew, sorry we missed you at the MGC man! You won't be "trying" to qualify with your crazy strength. I was going to offer up my IM axle too but there are plenty of guys closer to you than me. Glad to see the interest is there for this Zach. You'll host a great contest I'm sure. Hope to hear that Ryan competes in another one as well. He's got the physical tools.

Oh trust me, Ryan, MY LITTLE BRO ALEX and my dad will be competing. They'll have no excuse now :devil

I'll iron out details later and post a thread about the now upcoming "Last Chance Qualifier" :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen