Hand strength of a mover

Guest CalvinP

Guest CalvinP

When I moved to Austin in 2001. The mover Co. sent 2 men to pack our stuff, One of them was a large African man, but he was of no-built just big guy, not muscular neither, about 6'3'-6'4". When he pack our stuff into a box, he then sealed it with shipping tape, beige color transparent plastic tape. He would casually poked the tape to snap it in half with his index finger. So easy was his feat that the tape barely stretch before it was snapped. Other guy used a pencil to achieve the same result. I have tried this and it damned near breaking my index finger . So I made sure he did not use the pencil by walking around him to look. Yet! NO pencil was used. His hands was average for his size but not large. Can any of you do this?

I'm not sure but this might have a lot to do with the density of his fingertips themselves and the speed with which he did it.  If your fingers are hard then they don't 'squish' as much when you drive them into something which means they exert a larger pressure (per area) on whatever your're jamming them into.  I've played bass for a few years and my fingertips on my fretboard hand are solid.  I can shove them through that sort of tape like nothing with the right technique but if one were to try it slowly ramping up the pressure instead of 'snapping' through the tape I'd imagine it would take a lot of pressure.

It's a lot like breaking a board.  A guy can punch one and break it easily but if you just put your fist against it and start pushing harder and harder you're likely to bruise your hand really badly before it goes through.  Also, for reference, my hand strength would qualify at the pitiful level on this board.  I can close the #1 gripper at will but am 1 cm off the 2 at my best effort, I can only lever a 10 lb sledge once if it's parallel or maybe 8 times if my arm is parallel (my pinch grips are equally crappy but we're talking finger strength here so I needn't embarass myself more to show that this act probably doesn't have to deal with the finger strength so much as density).

Guest CalvinP

You have not noticed I said he casually did that. I saw him pushed his index finger thru the tape slowly. So it wasn't speed that did it. I saw him did it so many times I just shaked my head in amazement. May be he taunted the tape tightly before poking it. His finger nail was not short, but they are not long neither! I even tried with a (dulled) pencil, and I found out I still have to push hard enought to snap it. I am sure the pencil was a lot harder than my finger. Let just say if I ever fight him I hope he would not poke me in the eye. Or else I 'll be One-Eye-Jack