True weight imbalance dumbell as leverage bar

Guest CalvinP

Guest CalvinP

HI everyone

Lately I have been using dumbell to develope my forearms. But Instead of using the weight evenly on the dumbell, I put most (sometime all) of the weight to one side to force my forearm to compensate to this imbalance. And the result is awsome. I know using the long leverage bar, you have to use a lighter weight, it still creates a lot of torque via distance from the fulcrum point. But my theory is the arm still only bears the light load as whole. Now I use a shorter bar (dumbell's handle) I can load more weight so my arm will feel the stress of more load and torque on the fulcrum

Try this! Hold the dumbell with weight stagered to one side. Now curl your arm and twist the weight (forearm) as you come up. You can do this with palm down or up. Or you can put the weight inside or outside of your forearm. For hammer curl I put the weight to the front. For inside of forearm's work put it to the rear with your arm hanging down and just use your wrist to bring it up. I also do this with the weight in front, then I would do this with my upper arm parallel to the floor and forearm straigth up. I like this better because It fits my theory of true load bearing exercise for whole arm.

You can hold the handle 2-3" away from other end or close to it (more weight used) The first week I used only 12-15# and my forearms were so sored I could not even close #1 CoC, and the other day I was driving I noticed how my outter forearms bumped up (cold) thinking: alright! (only after 10 days) Experiment with different curls and weight and see for yourself.  But be carefull or your forearms N wrists get blasted

:D

I discovered the same thing about ten years ago.I use about 20-30lbs. but I like sledge hammers better.I saw a picture  of Bruce Lee doing it with a steel bar, I think he could have bent a 60p nail veary easy.

Guest CalvinP

Sledge hammer is good, but your arm as a whole bears a load only as much as that hammer weighed. Using dumbell with weight on one side only, you can increase the load to the point your upper arm will be affected by the weight as much as your hand when curling. Which is my approach any way. One of the curls I do is to curl with palm down and weight staggered inside (toward my body) and for me 20 # on one side only is a lot, as I curl up I twist my hand so that by the time I reach the top the way is now OUTSIDE. I then come down in this mode before I curl up again to twist the weight so that by the time I reach the top the weight is now INSIDE. At the bottom I always keep my arm bent at least 15-20 angle to have constant tension and NO SWINGING. My forearm was so sored It took me 5 days to recover. My short goal is to curl in this fashion at 50#, not just to leverage the dumbell but CURL and TWIST. Bruce Lee, by the way, was a forearm exercise Freak too