Measuring Gripper Strength?

stork

Hey guys, I bought a couple of grippers from ebay that were advertised as 100lbs and 250lbs.

The 100lbs I can close without much trouble, I can hold a penny between the handles for about 15 seconds.

The 250lbs one I can get it to within about half a centimetre of closing.

I'm skeptical that these grippers are the strength they were advertised at - I mean someone like me (amateur weightlifter - only been doing for 2.5 months) with not particularly big forearms shouldn't be able to close a 250lbs right?

So my question is, how can I measure the strength of them to find out if I was conned or not? Thanks :)

Hey guys, I bought a couple of grippers from ebay that were advertised as 100lbs and 250lbs.

The 100lbs I can close without much trouble, I can hold a penny between the handles for about 15 seconds.

The 250lbs one I can get it to within about half a centimetre of closing.

I'm skeptical that these grippers are the strength they were advertised at - I mean someone like me (amateur weightlifter - only been doing for 2.5 months) with not particularly big forearms shouldn't be able to close a 250lbs right?

So my question is, how can I measure the strength of them to find out if I was conned or not? Thanks :)

... the coc 2 = 88 kg = 194 lbs, and the coc 2,5 = 108 kg = 238 lbs, so both are not easy.

but some people (you?) are very strong by nature.

but the last cm (the last 3 mm) is really hard

Edited by unequipped

Those sound like HG or similar grippers, in which case the number does not correspond to the poundage to close. Usually the HG100 is easier than an Ironmind trainer and the HG250 is around #2 level or a bit less, so you're not doing bad if you're close on this one.

You're not being conned. Most of, if not all the companies that make grippers I believe measure the closing poundage somewhere around the middle of the gripper handle. There are people on this board that will know for sure. The way the rest of us calibrate grippers is by putting a strap on the end of the handle which produces far lower numbers. Which brand did you buy?

Don't worry, you've not been conned. Sounds like you got HG's. The ratings on the are in inch-pounds, not literal pounds. So, a 200 in-lb gripper is really about 85lb +/-, a 100 in-lb grippers will be about 40lb, etc. CoC's do the same thing, but are measured slightly different than the HGs(I believe at the end of the handle), giving them a lower rating for the same strength gripper. A good rough estimate for comparing them to CoCs is to take 50lb off the HGs torque rating. This will vary alot, since grippers vary all over the place, but it gets you close. Fir instance, the hg200 is usually a bit harder than the #1, but mine's identical, making it easier than normal. The 250 is usually a bit easier than the #2, but mines a bit harder, etc.

Edited by Magnus

They look like this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson114a.jpg

The 100 says 'HEAVYGRIP 100' on each handle and the big one says 'BONECRUSHER 250' on each handle.

I contacted the seller a while back and he said the poundage was measured on the spring, not the bars, which makes no sense to me since I'm not closing the spring...

Edited by stork

They look like this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson114a.jpg

The 100 says 'HEAVYGRIP 100' on each handle and the big one says 'BONECRUSHER 250' on each handle.

I contacted the seller a while back and he said the poundage was measured on the spring, not the bars, which makes no sense to me since I'm not closing the spring...

Like the previous member wrote... you have to subtract around 50 lbs between Heavy Grips & IronMind. But then again from my own comparison I felt: HG100 was a little harder than the Guide (60 lbs). HG150 was a little harder than the Trainer (100 lbs). HG200 was a little harder than the #1 (140 lbs.) HG250 was a little harder than #2 (195 lbs). HG300 was a little harder than #2.5 (237.5 lbs). Then again this is inaccurate because some got HG250 which is slightly easier than #2. Heavy Grips are not consistent, meaning you can have two HG200's that feel different. Your best bet is to get rid of those suckers on eBay and get yourself a pair of the gold standard of grippers from IronMind. Start off with Trainer & #1. If you can only hold the HG100 for 15 seconds, you definately need to start at the Trainer. If the Trainer is still too hard for you, then don't bother ordering the Guide or Sport, just go to a local sporting good's store and get yourself an Everlast wooden gripper - I rate this Gripper at 75 lbs. and is definately better not to waste money on the Guide or Sport. I never understood why IronMind came out with those two jokes, but oh well. Anyway stick to IronMind, they are the best and made in USA, not like HG's - made in China, not consistent and even the handles don't close evenly when fully shut. Lemme know if you got any questions. Good Luck!

For a summer project I'm working on building a computerized force-displacement transducer to calibrate grippers accurately. It will be a little while before it's done.

It sounds like you mainly just need to find some brand name grippers that you'll know the approximate strengths of -- then you'll be on your way with the training. A lot of guys on this board are in Europe, so some will definitely know where to get grippers there. Good luck!

Thanks muchly for the advice.

Do you know a place I can get ironmind grippers in the UK?

Thanks.

www.ironmind.com

IronMind will ship anywhere in the world.

You can order from this guy on eBay - he's from the UK.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ultimate-Grip

Just make sure you get the IronMind from him, not HG's.

Well best to compare the price in Pounds and order from whatever source is cheaper for you.

Cheers! :rock

p.s. also make sure he's selling you the 2006 version of the Grippers. Some on eBay might be selling older versions. Look into the price at IronMind.com, your best bet!

Edited by DannyGrip

• 2 weeks later...

you can test your grip strength on a grip test dynometer but not sure how the reading from that relates to the calibration of the grippers as i can close the 2 and can get the 2.5 within millimeters everytime but my reading on the dynometer is a consistant 75kgs!? anyone else had this same issue? any resolution?

Thanks muchly for the advice.

Do you know a place I can get ironmind grippers in the UK?

Thanks.

www.ironmind.com

IronMind will ship anywhere in the world.

You can order from this guy on eBay - he's from the UK.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ultimate-Grip

Just make sure you get the IronMind from him, not HG's.

Well best to compare the price in Pounds and order from whatever source is cheaper for you.

Cheers! :rock

p.s. also make sure he's selling you the 2006 version of the Grippers. Some on eBay might be selling older versions. Look into the price at IronMind.com, your best bet!

pullum sports - based in luton, they do all sorts of other grip goodies too www.pullum-sports.co.uk