Coc Grippers...what To Order Next?

LiftBig315

I just started getting in to working my grip strength. I ordered up the #1 not really knowing what to expect, and when I got it, I could close it, now I can close it for 10-12 reps relatively easy.

My question is if I should go ahead and order up the #2 and do partials until I can get 10-12 with it, then move on? Also, what are your guys opinions on the ImTug Grippers? I feel right now that my pinky and index finger are lacking strength as far as keeping up with the rest of my hand. I would also like to work on my pinch grip. I currently have 2 25 lb plates that I work on at home. Like I said, I am just starting out as far as grip strength goes, so i need to build up the equipment at home. I tried searching around the forum some, so sorry if I missed a guide or chart.

Thanks for taking the time,

LiftBig

Get the 2. See if you can trade the 1 for a 2 anywhere. you wont need it again. There is a trade section in the forum. Good luck!

Edited by Chris Mathison

Get the 2. See if you can trade the 1 for a 2 anywhere. you wont need it again. There is a trade section in the forum. Good luck!

I actually have a friend I think I am gonna sell it too.

Would I be wasting time with getting an of the 2 finger grippers/

First off, I disagree with Chris strongly on the not needing it again, I can close an easy #3 and I still use my trainer for warmups and two finger closes. Can you close it 10-12 with both hands? As a beginner the IMTUGS would be a waste of money for you, first you need to build up your gripper collection. Maybe you could get a #1.5 too, for wider set work, or if you can't get the #2 right away. Lighter grippers will always come in handy, coin holds, strap holds, OCs, wide set stuff, two/three finger stuff, etc. I'd say get the #1.5 and #2 if you have the money, and it's up to you but I'd recommend keeping the #1, you can and should keep using it.

First off, I disagree with Chris strongly on the not needing it again, I can close an easy #3 and I still use my trainer for warmups and two finger closes. Can you close it 10-12 with both hands? As a beginner the IMTUGS would be a waste of money for you, first you need to build up your gripper collection. Maybe you could get a #1.5 too, for wider set work, or if you can't get the #2 right away. Lighter grippers will always come in handy, coin holds, strap holds, OCs, wide set stuff, two/three finger stuff, etc. I'd say get the #1.5 and #2 if you have the money, and it's up to you but I'd recommend keeping the #1, you can and should keep using it.

Yep, both hands with about the same effort...left is actually easier even though I am right hand dominant. I could order the 1.5, and 2. But how much hard exactly is the 1.5 than the 1? I will keep the #1, my buddy has enough money he can get his own ;). Thanks for the input guys

Yep, both hands with about the same effort...left is actually easier even though I am right hand dominant. I could order the 1.5, and 2. But how much hard exactly is the 1.5 than the 1? I will keep the #1, my buddy has enough money he can get his own ;). Thanks for the input guys

When I got my first grippers, I could shut the #1 for 2 or 3 reps and get my #1.5 down to 1/4".

If you can rep your #1 that much I almost guarantee you can close a 1.5 and would bet that you could close or get really close to a #2. I bet you'll get the #2 though but hey, you can't have too many grippers as I'm finding out.

Tim

Another guy suggested that I get a Trainer, 1.5 and 2. I ordered a trainer and a 2. I figured I could warm up with the trainer, and if I get strong enough work on pinch and partials with my pinky and ring finger with it. He also mentioned coin holds with the #1. I will give that a shot. I am also going to check out the prices of plates tomorrow, see how much the 5s and 10s run for, for pinches. We will see how the #2 goes...If I can click out a rep or 2, I will stick with it and skip the 1.5. And just work my way up to 10-12 reps with it.

How does that sound to you guys?

Another guy suggested that I get a Trainer, 1.5 and 2. I ordered a trainer and a 2. I figured I could warm up with the trainer, and if I get strong enough work on pinch and partials with my pinky and ring finger with it. He also mentioned coin holds with the #1. I will give that a shot. I am also going to check out the prices of plates tomorrow, see how much the 5s and 10s run for, for pinches. We will see how the #2 goes...If I can click out a rep or 2, I will stick with it and skip the 1.5. And just work my way up to 10-12 reps with it.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me dude. But you don't really need to rep it to 10-12 to move on. Have you heard of Negs? If you can rep a #2 at all a #2.5 or a Super Master would come in really hands for Negs or BFNs (if you don't know what these are I can clarify, I just wasn't sure)

That was me! Over on BB.com :) Like Vikings said, you could even get a 2.5 once you see where you are with the #2 and do some negatives.

That was me! Over on BB.com :) Like Vikings said, you could even get a 2.5 once you see where you are with the #2 and do some negatives.

Haha, I just saw that in your sig over at bb.com

Haha I just saw that thread on BB.com and was going to point that out Zach :D

Guess it all depends on your style of gripper training. I dont own anything below a 2.5. not to say they arent useful. Its just not my style to work with a gripper I can rep until the cows come home.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Guess it all depends on your style of gripper training. I dont own anything below a 2.5. not to say they arent useful. Its just not my style to work with a gripper I can rep until the cows come home.

That's why you don't rep it Chris :D You use it for fewer finger closes, warmups, and really long overcrushes. Most big gripsters use light grippers for one thing or another, you're the anomaly here :laugh

High rep grippers, as David Horne made me see, helps with endurance, carryover and recovery. Keep them and get a Vulcan.

Well I got the grippers in today...

So I warmed up with the trainer doing 2 sets of 12...then did a set of 10 on the 1...I got the 2 right around a 1/4" from close....do you guys think I should go ahead and order up a 2.5 and work on that with a choker? or work on the 2 with a choker? Can tell I am still green to the whole grip strength training :)

Anyways, if you guys have any kinda workout routine I should follow with the grippers that would be awesome. thanks. Still gotta get in to the store and price out some plates...and get chalk.

So I warmed up with the trainer doing 2 sets of 12...then did a set of 10 on the 1...I got the 2 right around a 1/4" from close....do you guys think I should go ahead and order up a 2.5 and work on that with a choker? or work on the 2 with a choker? Can tell I am still green to the whole grip strength training :)

Anyways, if you guys have any kinda workout routine I should follow with the grippers that would be awesome. thanks. Still gotta get in to the store and price out some plates...and get chalk.

I would say get the #2.5 and #3 if you can afford it, maybe even the #1.5 if you have spare money laying around, haha. All 3 will come in handy in the near future. The #2 in a choker is also a good idea, in addition to doing Negs on the #2 and on the #2.5 when and if you get it.

As for a routine, do warmups on the Trainer, overcrushes/strap holds/coin holds with the #1, do attempts/Negs/choker attempts on the #2. I can't really give you an exact rep scheme or anything like that because different things have different effects on different people, just try things out and make sure not to totally destroy your tendons this early in your grip training.

I would say get the #2.5 and #3 if you can afford it, maybe even the #1.5 if you have spare money laying around, haha. All 3 will come in handy in the near future. The #2 in a choker is also a good idea, in addition to doing Negs on the #2 and on the #2.5 when and if you get it.

As for a routine, do warmups on the Trainer, overcrushes/strap holds/coin holds with the #1, do attempts/Negs/choker attempts on the #2. I can't really give you an exact rep scheme or anything like that because different things have different effects on different people, just try things out and make sure not to totally destroy your tendons this early in your grip training.

Thanks for the input man, I will get the 2.5 and possible the 1.5 here soon. We will see how pissed the gf is about the grippers I have and the tubs of why I just ordered :cool She doesn't care for when I spend my money the way I do, but hey, that's why it's my money ;)

Thanks for the input man, I will get the 2.5 and possible the 1.5 here soon. We will see how pissed the gf is about the grippers I have and the tubs of why I just ordered :cool She doesn't care for when I spend my money the way I do, but hey, that's why it's my money ;)

Haha exactly! Well keep us updated on your progress dude! In fact it'd be a good idea to keep a log here, that way pro gripsters can give you feedback on your training, that'll keep you motivated AND help modify your training where needed so you'll get optimum results.

for me personally,choked#2 work got the #2 and bb master closed

I actually closed the number 2 today...I was itchin all day to try it when I was at work, so when I came home and did a couple warmups with the trainer...Then closedd the number 2 with my right, and almost got it with my left, like 1-2mm off.

I will start up a log here in the next couple days. Can't believe I actually closed it, can't wait to start reppin it, but I gotta take it easy so I don't hurt myself somehow...

I was thinkin, since I use my hands all day at work...lifting plates, holding welder, using heavy grinder...that all that kinda acts as an active recovery? Because my hands never get sore, they just feel tired the morning after my training, and then after work I feel like I could go back and do gripper work...I am gonna try to stick to 3 days a week...but I am a newbie and like I have read,,they usually over train :blush tryin not to though...well thanks everybody..

just try things out and make sure not to totally destroy your tendons this early in your grip training.

I must respectfully disagree with that Derek :) What I would do, what I did do, is rep my Trainer and #1 until the cows come home and it worked perfectly for me back when my goal was a 1.5 straight through until my goal was a 2.8 RB210 :) Everyone I have suggested high volume reppage to has had great results(something like 6 people that I know personally).

I was thinkin, since I use my hands all day at work...lifting plates, holding welder, using heavy grinder...that all that kinda acts as an active recovery? Because my hands never get sore, they just feel tired the morning after my training, and then after work I feel like I could go back and do gripper work...I am gonna try to stick to 3 days a week...but I am a newbie and like I have read,,they usually over train :blush tryin not to though...well thanks everybody..

If you use your hands that much at work and you've been doing it for more than a few months then YES. Active recovery and it is helping your grip out more than any workout plan could. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OVERTRAINING, worry about UNDERTRAINING. Your body can adapt to ANYTHING :)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made any decent progress using IMTUGs? I bought my first CoC #1 gripper last September, and closed it with both hands soon after. I then bought a #2, but found it way too tough to close, and bought some IMTUGs to work on instead. I can close the #6 IMTUG for 4-5 reps (index/middle finger combo) and the #4 until it becomes boring (pinky/ring finger combo). Neither seemed to help much, so I went back to working with the #1 gripper and can now get 8 parallel reps, and the #2 looks like being closed pretty soon. Did Iron Mind mess up on the IMTUG strength rating? According to their scale, I should be getting ready to close the CoC #3!!! :blink