Knuckle cracking

Drassk

I just got my #2 today and having just recently closed the #1 (I closed it the first time in mid-August) it feels -tough-.  I'm gaining fast, though, and can rep the #1 15 times so I think the #2 isn't far off.  My question has to do with something I've noticed about the grippers and my family in particular, though.

As soon as my younger brother gave the #2 his first squeeze all his knuckles cracked at once.  I've seen this happen to him before when he tried (and finally closed) the #1 and I've had it happen to me once but generally I don't experience it.

My question is this :

#1 : Has anyone else had the experience of watching someone 'crack' their hand on a gripper (it's loud as #### and elicits some intereting looks from anyone else in the room)

#2 : Are the hardcore gripper users chronic knuckle-crackers or is this something that only happens to certain people?  Most guys I've handed the gripper to never have the cracking but it happens to my bro nearly every time.

my knuckles crack if i'm not warmed up enough. don't like it.

get your brother to warm up on the trainer first, and see what happens. maybe that'll solve the problem (if this may be considered a problem)

train hard

david

If it cracks this loud, you're not properly warmed up. I warm up with light stretching and a few sets of high reps on a store gripper (mine is a Wal Mart). Then I do 3-5 fast singles on the #1 before trying the #3 and doing my workout.

When I brought my CoC’s to work to test my soldiers, I noticed that about 75% of the guys’ hands popped and cracked in odd places.  Some of the noises were so loud and intense that I didn’t want them to keep crushing.

I think it’s just loose tendons from not specifically training hands for a heavy crush.  For me, at first my hands popped every time I picked up a gripper, but it hasn’t happened in months.  

Just make sure you warm up and ease into the work out, and over time the joints will strengthen and tighten.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not so much worried about the cracking as wondering why it occurs.  I think the 'loose joints' theory probably holds some decent weight.

If I take any IM gripper #1 or above and without doing any sort of warming up, when I squeeze it as hard as I can I definitly get a very nice popping sound. However if properly warmed up it's not a problem.

When I first got my trainer, I closed it a few times, heard the clicks and all. Then my dad came by and asked to try. Closed it pretty easially with a HUGE crack noise. I thought it was the handles clicking and was very suprized. Then he told me it was his one of his knuckles cracking. I thought it was just because he is fairly old, 53 or 54, but I guess it happens to other people as well. Ive never had my knuckles crack when closing any grippers. Maybe it just depends on the person. But as for other joints, Im crackin all the time, especially my elbows and shoulders.

Mine sound like guns going off-both hands-the first rep of the day.  This happens regardless of gripper or warmup.  If I start light with the #1-they crack.  If I jump right to my PDA 387-they crack.  If I grab the #3-they crack.

It only happens once, but regardless, it happens every time!

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick, you crack head!!   :hehe  :p  :hehe

My explanation is the pressure on the bones and joints from the gripper itself.  It's nothing to get worried about.

I took my COC #4  to work and let a co-worker try it. With no warm up, he got it to about 3/4" with each hand but his hands sounded like someone was popping Popcorn!