Thumb strike a beer - kinney style

Guest sjeff70

Guest sjeff70

I posted this elsewhere but it's more fitting here.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my password for this board when I needed it:  

I started pinch gripping in June or July of this year in hopes that I would be able to put my thumb through an unopen can of beer like Kinney did in his video. I even posted about it here some months ago, wondering if anyone else had achieved the feat. Also, after reading about rafter chins in "Iron Grip" I'm motivated to accomplish a few of these.

Let me just say that thumb striking a beer is not that difficult!  At this point I'm able to 2-Hands Pinch Grip 120 lbs for 30 seconds which ain't no special feat, but apparently it's more than enough to strengthen and give support to the thumb.

The hardest part is conditioning the tip of the thumb. Attempts were all I needed to accomplish this. It just takes a little confidence because subconsciously while practicing, my thumb would glance off the center of the can because of the pain factor.  I put a stop to it when I realized what I was doing.

LOG:

Workout #1: 14 strikes same area on can; I spung a leak. After half of contents was gone, I was able to easily pierce the soda open. I was suprised I sprung a leak, it felt pretty cool and I felt cocky. The tip of my thumb will probably bruise.

Workout #2: 12 strikes, same area on can - same result. I will take more days off (2-3 days) to evaluate recovery factor.

Workout #3: Thumb seems to be conditioned a bit and is less sensitive. 12 strikes while turning the can after each strike. I sprung a leak and pierced it with little of the contents escaping.

Workout #4: Thumb feels good and I had a great CoC gripper workout. First three strikes - while turning the can after each strike - left dimples in the can. This was a first; at this point I knew I was close and that it was possible. It gave me more confidence. On the 6th strike and with no leak present, I pierced the can and the can exploded! The contents went all over the kitchen to include the ceiling. I will have to let the neighbors watch me now because I'll have to go outside now to practice.

I'm amazed at how easy the feat really is. I still have to get down to just 1 attempt but it's very doable. I'm elated that I accomplished something so quickly; that I wasn't even sure I would ever be able to do it.

Has anyone else found the feat to be not that hard? I'm going to a bonfire party at my friends house next Tuesday night; maybe I can make a little money off the feat. I know the girls will think I'm pretty cool. ####, I'm just a little guy, no one will ever think it's possible.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

i'm very surprised indeed  :0 !

I didn't even hear of that feat...

Crushing a beer can open seems to be quite a different matter since it takes both hands to Manfred Hoeberl to do that...And he's not a 90 pounder girl !

Well done anyway !

Be carefull though not to hurt your thumb: it's pretty more violent than pinch gripping plates.

What's Kinney's problem with beer cans ??

Must be a teetotal i guess :D

Guest Virgman2

Beer Can Striking Workout Routine:

1) Buy case or two of beer in cans

2) Warm up hands

3) Open cans one by one.

4) Finish beer in each can as you go

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you pass out

:p

I haven't see the video but on espn one night I saw a "breaking"competition and one of the contestants put his FINGER through the side of a coke can.

I believe he was a master of some 'Iron hand 'technique.Older gentleman(late fourty's)He had some very thick,calloused and knarled hands-they almost looked deformed,ouch :crazy .

He was very impressive in his breaks and I believe the finger through the can was his grand finale.

Again this hands,fingers knuckles were very calloused...much more so than the other contestants.

As usual my thoughts get side tracked,one topic(martial arts and striking)leads me to another- but here is an interesting factoid(hopefully he doesn't KO me)but Stacey Wigert works out at our gym.He is the 2002 Iowa State Golden Gloves Heavyweight champion.Very strong and explosive in his weight work outs-275 power cleans at 6'1.5" 182 lbs(for a skinny guy) and  is a VERY hard puncher.Won golden gloves with a devastating KO(opponent out 5 minutes)And I gotta say he has the weakest hands in the gym!!He can't close the trainer gripper! and can't Rolling Thunder 90lbs......go figure! :D I smile real big when I make fun of him though. ;)

Guest sjeff70

That sucks, the site just went down and I lost everything I wrote.  I'll try again...

The thumb is supported with the index finger.  Once I can get it on the first strike, I'll progressively move the thumb toward the tip of my index finger.  

I think I saw that Karate championship...there was a guy who struck a can with the tip of his fingers with a flat hand, but the can was already open.  He covered the top with a finger from the hand he was holding the can with.  I wasn't impressed!

Strangleholding a beer is more than impressive, indeed, but considering I couldn't close the trainer when I first got it, getting up to that level of strength is slim.  I'll have to check that tape out, but I think Kinney said you can tell those who fake exploding cans, using both techniques.  If he mentioned the thumb strike, I have to disagree.  I don't think the thumb strike is that hard.    

You gotta use soda to practice with or you may be tempted to drink your mistakes.   :p

Jeff

I'm not too sure why he (Mr. Kinney) included that in his video...It's extremely easy for him to put his thumb through the can.   The strangle hold he actually has to work some.

I asked Joe about that.  He told me he included it because he had seen guys on T.V. claim to blow up unopened beer cans when all that they were doing was "punching" their thumbs through the can, and NOT exploding them by squeezing them.

So what if you can put your thumb through a beer can?  Even Kinney said that that wasn't very impressive at all.  A real beer can will sound like a bomb going off -- then you know it wasn't done by using the thumbs.

Have you tried that yet Snott?  I've wrapped my hands around Kinney fasion but haven't attempted the break.  It appears the beer squeeze would favor one w/average to smaller hands.  My hands are fairly large (8 3/4" wrist to tip) it's hard for me to grasp it like Kinney does.

Jeff,                                                                        Hmmmm.. so the can was open?OK.I don't remember it that well but I'm sure you are correct.I do remember his hands though....the guy I'm talking about was a stout-thick looking older black guy?Was that the same one?It was just a show on breaks.....a 'world championship'.I guess I got suckered on that one......I'll tell you what though. IF those guys can get a TV camera on them we should certainly be able to get a grip contest televised on ESPN someday?Maybe just once:D If its a slow news day? ;)

Tom - you remember correctly, the can of Coke was unopened and he stabbed his pointer finger through the side of it creating a single round hole. I saw the same show and a repeat airing. On the other hand Kinney did not perform a "thumb strike", he shoved his thumb through the side of the can while holding the can with both hands. A thumb strike implies holding the can in one hand and striking it with the other. This is what the martial artist on ESPN did. This is not what Kinney did. Kinney's was more of a squeeze with a stiff thumb piercing the can.

Mike M.

Guest sjeff70

I must have seen another Karate championship...this guy struck the can with the ends of his fingers (flat hand facing the ground).  I don't remember the man's race.

Jeff

I don't waste my time punching my thumb through beer cans.

I'd rather drink 'em then spill 'em!!  :p

BTW, Kinney uses a "stranglehold" and by sheer crushing force explodes the cans open.  I think Manfred Hoerbel uses more of a press (pushing the palms together) to explode his cans.