Tried Some Braced, Some Brass, And A Cool Scroll!

foxyj75

Hey guys,

Finally found a steel supplier close to my house. The name is "Alco Steel", and I got a killer deal on a ton of steel! I got 20' each of 3/4'', 5/8'' and 1/2'' A36 HRS round, and 5' each of 3/8'' 360 grade hard brass, and 5/16'' CRS round. All for a grand total of..........100 bucks!! :rock :rock :rock Needless to say, never going back to hardware store again!!

Anyway, on to the bending! I had been wanting to do some long/mid bar stuff, and tried out the 1/2'' stuff first b/c I can cut it w/ my bolt cutters.

I started with a 20'' piece. Not even a challenge. Noticed a huge difference on the kink from the hardware stuff; MUCH easier!

I got greedy :blush , and tried a 14'' piece next. Kink was no problem, but was too long to hip-crush, too short for under the leg, and my thighmaster crush sucks, so I couldn't move it any farther. If I can figure out a position I'm comfortable in, I could kill it easily. Maybe next time! :D Any suggestions on positioning from you mid bar killers? :cool

Next, figuring if I could get into hip-crush range I could kill it, I tried a 12'' piece!! :blink To my own surprise, I kinked it over my thigh, but that was it! Bit off a bit more than I could chew!! Oh well, had to try it right? :happy

Tired of braced bending, I cut a piece of the brass. Now I don't know if I was just having a weak day, or if this brass is tough, but after all the comments about the Golden Bastards having a soft kink, I was rudely awakened!! :blink The kink on this thing was just as stiff as a 6'' Edgin, and the rest was just like a Huge Shiny!! I'll send a piece to Eric(if he doesn't mind) to calibrate to see what this stuff rates. Fun bend though! Very springy! :D Check out the vid!

Last was my favorite bend, and one that I am sorta proud of. Tim I had mentioned trying to scroll a bastard, and I wanted to try! :rock I only have one Bastard left (of the normal-strength stock) , and I wanted to save it for another Fantastic attempt, so I cut a 7'' piece of my new 5/16'' CRS as an equivalent. I bent it all braced, and mostly on top of my hip. I have more power in some ways unbraced, but with the weird angles, I didn't feel safe putting a ton of force into it. Doing so would have invited injury for sure. This stuff felt harder than my last batch of bastards(before the brutal ones), and took about 30 minutes of planning, bending, twisting, pushing, and sweating! :D:blink Thanks to Tim I for the idea of starting with small bends, and slowly increasing them alternately. I could probably get the bends tighter, but I was smoked from all the previous bending. Pics below!! BTW, that is a real Bastard in front of the scroll for reference.

3/8'' huge golden equiv. bend vid

Huge Golden equiv. measurement pic

20'' 1/2'' A36 bend pic

14'' 1/2'' A36 kink pic

12'' x 1/2'' A36 kink pic

SCROLLED BASTARD equiv. pic!!!

SCROLLED BASTARD equiv. pic 2!!!

God Bless,

Fox <><

Edited by Foxman

:blink AWESOME BENDING FOX!!!

Lot's of steel there for a great price.

Looks like some fun ahead!

I enjoy learning all the different styles for braced bending, even different moves for different lengths.

I'm very sore today from yesterday's braced bending, and it was a struggle to go through the training tonight. Every muscle aches!

David

Sweet bends man, I love that scroll. I can't wait to see what you can do when you get to work on that 3/4" and 5/8" too.

For the 14" I think you still need to move it more in the first phase. Anything much under 20" I think you pretty much only get the kink and crush, it doesn't really have enough length for the intermediate techniques. I hate to say it but your probably gonna have to start out behind Derek's 14.5" I guess. :D

One thing that helps me get a bit more movement out of the thigh kink with longer stuff is to put one end under or against the inside of my other leg and get the other half of the bend sticking out straight more so you can push it down further. Sort of similar to the horseshoe thing I described only using your other leg to brace under instead of your stomach.

Very nice bending! That must have been a mutant piece of brass Jeremiah. That stuff would not even make you wake up out of a deep sleep if it was the stuff I've bent in the 5" version. Guaranteed it'll calibrate higher than usual.

Sweet bends man, I love that scroll. I can't wait to see what you can do when you get to work on that 3/4" and 5/8" too.

For the 14" I think you still need to move it more in the first phase. Anything much under 20" I think you pretty much only get the kink and crush, it doesn't really have enough length for the intermediate techniques. I hate to say it but your probably gonna have to start out behind Derek's 14.5" I guess. :D

One thing that helps me get a bit more movement out of the thigh kink with longer stuff is to put one end under or against the inside of my other leg and get the other half of the bend sticking out straight more so you can push it down further. Sort of similar to the horseshoe thing I described only using your other leg to brace under instead of your stomach.

HA!!!! Yup he's right Fox, get behind me!! Thinking you can beat me psssshhhhhhtttt!!!!!

Really amazing work on the Bastard scroll, that's really cool dude. Looks like you either had a HORRIBLE day with the brass or you got some PSYCHO stock!!! I know my Huge Golden pretty much melted and you can kick my ass at DO :D There is steel variance and Brass is no different, you just got a hard batch. I can't wait to see what you can do when you start training braced, I'm sure you'll be beating me in no time ;) Oh and I wish my supplier had brass, $100 for that stuff is about normal, here I would probably pay $65 or so with everything but the brass, and yeah hardware stores are WAYYY overpriced.

that's some great stuff i can't wait to see what you can do braced too i'm sure you'll be in the 23-26" 5/8" stuff once you get into it a little bit at least! i would say that's a pretty normal price on all that stock specailly since you've been buying hardware store stuff forever i would get it all for about $75 here with the brass without it probably around $70 5/16" here runs about $8.60 for 20' and 20' of 3/4" is around $25 1/2" is right at around $16.80 for 20' with 5/8" at $21.45 i don't know if that is normal price but it seems to be fine and doesn't seem too expensive :rock

that's some great stuff i can't wait to see what you can do braced too i'm sure you'll be in the 23-26" 5/8" stuff once you get into it a little bit at least! i would say that's a pretty normal price on all that stock specailly since you've been buying hardware store stuff forever i would get it all for about $75 here with the brass without it probably around $70 5/16" here runs about $8.60 for 20' and 20' of 3/4" is around $25 1/2" is right at around $16.80 for 20' with 5/8" at $21.45 i don't know if that is normal price but it seems to be fine and doesn't seem too expensive :rock

Thanks Casey! :cool It seems to be that the brass is the big difference in price here; for the 5' x 3/8'' piece of 1/2 hard 360 grade brass, It was 20 bucks. I think I forgot to mention that that 100 dollar price included the steel shop cutting all of it up into 5' sections so that it would fit into my car!

Concerning the 5/8, I think you are in the ball park with the length. I do a 3' hardware store piece(not now!) in my shows regularly. It is a very easy bend really. I put a little more "showmanship" into it for the crowd, but I know I could probably go 10-12'' shorter. As far as the 3/4'' goes, I don't know. I have only tried 1 piece, and that was after the SOHGC, and I was totally smoked!! It was a 44" piece, and I barely warped it. I'll have to hit the 3/4'' fresh, and see what I can do.

I am going to send Eric some TY FNL Edgins to cal at various lengths, and I will throw a couple pieces of the brass, and a couple pieces of the 5/16'' crs in to see how they rate, and the extra pieces are for Eric to try out if he wants, so that he can give a far more experienced second opinion. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and kind words, they are very much appreciated!!

Now that is some good bending! Love the scroll!

I researched brass once and there is quite a huge variety of grades and some were quite tough in the specs. I can't remember the terms but you probably got a different grade so don't feel bad. Hard to know what kind John sells.

As for the 14 inch piece, again don't feel bad since it's your first go and that is a great bend at that length. As for advice, on thing I've noticed with HRS is that sometimes it helps to not only give the bar all you've got to start the crush, but apply max force for a few seconds. Even if it doesn't move at first and you can't increase the force anymore, sometimes it sorta gives in and yields. Back up to a 15 or 16 and give it a go. Like Tim I said, I don't think there's really a good technique between the kink and crush with that small a length.

Really outstanding job! I'm sure you'll be killing the big stuff in no time.

Tim

Now that is some good bending! Love the scroll!

I researched brass once and there is quite a huge variety of grades and some were quite tough in the specs. I can't remember the terms but you probably got a different grade so don't feel bad. Hard to know what kind John sells.

As for the 14 inch piece, again don't feel bad since it's your first go and that is a great bend at that length. As for advice, on thing I've noticed with HRS is that sometimes it helps to not only give the bar all you've got to start the crush, but apply max force for a few seconds. Even if it doesn't move at first and you can't increase the force anymore, sometimes it sorta gives in and yields. Back up to a 15 or 16 and give it a go. Like Tim I said, I don't think there's really a good technique between the kink and crush with that small a length.

Really outstanding job! I'm sure you'll be killing the big stuff in no time.

Tim

Thanks Tim! Thanks for the advice also! I don't know why I didn't try that, I really noticed the "yielding" effect when I was doing my 5'' edgin, and fantastic bastard bends. It wouldn't move, I kept pushing, and slowly, it began to move. I will definitely give that a shot next time.

Thanks again brother,

Fox <><

Tim T, John sells 360 Brass just like Fox bought, he just must have gotten a crazy batch.

jeez $20 is pretty crazy it's between $12-$18 here depending on which one of the 6 steel shops i go to :D i was pretty shocked when you had a hard time on the kink :blink i knew it was messing with you it definately had to be some monsterous stuff! :D great bend again fox i'm sure that 14" x 1/2" piece will go down soon! :rock

Tim T, John sells 360 Brass just like Fox bought, he just must have gotten a crazy batch.

I don't know if John sells the exact same stuff or not, but the stuff I got was half-hard. I researched it, and it turns out to be just a notch below fully hardened brass. I checked the yield and tensile, and they were 48k and 58k, respectively, and nominally. The hardening may have an effect on this though.

Edited by Foxman

Great work Jeremiah !!! :rock

As for technique, give this a try:

starting from 2:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBZbxx-Nt8

starting from 5:35 (I'm the 2nd one on the left)

As you can see the technique used here is great for the mid length bars.

From 13" and lower I dropped this technique and just went straight to the crush from kink ;)

Awesome :rock