Hammer Event Grip

Bob Lipinski

Just a picture in case you were curious on how I will judge the grip in the hammer.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7431

The lowest part of the hand needs to go below the tape. The tape marks 31". Left is an illegal grip, while on the right is legal. Viewed from the finger side, if you have a fat hand the bottom of your pinky might be .5-1" higher than the marker.

I tried the platform method this afternoon Bob and have some questions regarding how you'll judge the lift. I understand the fact that we're allowed to grab the 31" mark so I've marked that on my 8lb sledgehammer. Next I duct taped some weight to the top of it. Then I put a big ice chest/cooler on top of a card table so I'd have a platform for my arm. I squatted down about 6" and then my arm was parallel to the floor. The problem I had was with the end of the handle preventing me from being able to lever the weight up without feeling like I was encountering extra unncessary resistance. I lowered the sledge head until it lightly contacted my forehead and then reversed it until it was vertical again and motionless. I actually missed my first 3 attempts with 10 pounds because I'd lever it up and at the last second the handle would veer off sideways and I'd lose it.

My fix for that was to hang my hand off the edge a few inches so that there wouldn't be any contact from the handle with the top of the platform. Is that legal? Or will the entire arm be flat on the platform and the hand won't be allowed to hang over the edge to prevent contact with the sledge handle and the platform top?

I have a feeling what I did is not contest legal because it felt much more stable than doing it the freestanding way that I've done a few times. Didn't hit any big numbers but my arm is finally feeling good enough that it only hurts for a few hours after levering instead of days after.

I tried the platform method this afternoon Bob and have some questions regarding how you'll judge the lift. I understand the fact that we're allowed to grab the 31" mark so I've marked that on my 8lb sledgehammer. Next I duct taped some weight to the top of it. Then I put a big ice chest/cooler on top of a card table so I'd have a platform for my arm. I squatted down about 6" and then my arm was parallel to the floor. The problem I had was with the end of the handle preventing me from being able to lever the weight up without feeling like I was encountering extra unncessary resistance. I lowered the sledge head until it lightly contacted my forehead and then reversed it until it was vertical again and motionless. I actually missed my first 3 attempts with 10 pounds because I'd lever it up and at the last second the handle would veer off sideways and I'd lose it.

My fix for that was to hang my hand off the edge a few inches so that there wouldn't be any contact from the handle with the top of the platform. Is that legal? Or will the entire arm be flat on the platform and the hand won't be allowed to hang over the edge to prevent contact with the sledge handle and the platform top?

I have a feeling what I did is not contest legal because it felt much more stable than doing it the freestanding way that I've done a few times. Didn't hit any big numbers but my arm is finally feeling good enough that it only hurts for a few hours after levering instead of days after.

I believe I can answer that but Bob will hopefully go into deeper detail. The platform isn't big enough for your wrist/hand to contact it. Ideally, your wrist should be off the platform floating while your arm remains on the platform. If we end up using the same boards for the comp I used, then they are only about 2ftish TOPS. Again, you don't even need to brace against the platform. You can raise your arm up and lever it freestanding if it's more comfortable that way :)

Thanks Zach! You've been a lot of help to me on this stuff. Every little bit of info is going to help me minimize the points I lose in probably my weakest event. After reading what you said I went out and did 13lbs for a single and I'm pretty sure it would have passed in a contest but I need to take a video to have you guys critique it again.

Zach is spot on. We should have taken videos or pictures our last get together.

Again, the platform is just there to prevent your arm from going too low. If you want to lift your arm a little higher, go for it!

Zach is spot on. We should have taken videos or pictures our last get together.

Again, the platform is just there to prevent your arm from going too low. If you want to lift your arm a little higher, go for it!

Nice! That's great to know that I'm on the right track at least.

Is that 31 inches from the top of the head, or bottom?

Brent

I put this tip into effect last workout and noticed quite a difference. I too have the fat hands so it gave me a 1/2" or better.

I don't think this is cheating in any way, because I know when I go as far down as I want on the hammer, I don't have my hand hanging off the end.

I don't think this is cheating in any way, because I know when I go as far down as I want on the hammer, I don't have my hand hanging off the end.

If I put my pinky flush with the end my hand hangs off

If I put my pinky flush with the end my hand hangs off

Me too! I'd guess by at least a 1/2" and maybe more. I've got obese hands.