Odd experience during gripper workout

OldGuy

Yesterday, I did my usual gripper routine. 5 x #1, 3 x #2, and then an all out attack on the #3. This time I failed to close it. After a break I tried again. Same thing, no close. I moved onto the #4. As usual I tried to apply an almost manic force. I got it down to 3/4'', and then somehow sqeezed even harder. It kept closing ! I squeezed even harder, the same thing, it was down to 1/2''. I was so amazed that at that point I stopped as if to say this can't be happening. Going from a failiure on a #3 to my best ever with the #4. Training and results are not predictable. I am not even using the #4 with the hopes of closing it, just as an aid in closing the 3 more easily.

Maybe true, but I have never been able to further close a gripper once I reached the sticking point. That is kind of like reaching your maximum speed, and instead of holding that speed, somehow going even faster. I had done a fullbody routine prior to the grip work.

Guest DavidHW

Next time, try skipping from the No. 2 warm-ups straight to the No. 4, THEN make an attempt on the No. 3. No promises, but I wonder whether shocking your hand with the No. 4 first will enable you to at least add more velocity on your No. 3 attempt.

I'm thinking of buying an IM No. 4 precisely for this purpose, to gain consistency on my No. 3 closes. Maybe if you or someone else tries this workout, I'll know whether it might work. :-)

David

None of the responses explain how I was able to close a #4 down to 1/2'', which is worldclass. I do not have any outstanding grip abilities. My thickbar is pretty good and my pinchgrip mediocre.

Oldguy,

more seriously, i have closed my #2 for the first time a few days ago. The day before i was 3mm away and three days later (after two days without touching my grippers) i was (and i'm still)...3mm away from closing it !

At first i thought it was because of my hairdryer (if you remember my previous post) but i tried the experience again and it failed.

So maybe it's a similar case of VERY good groove that day?

The first time I closed my #2 was the same thing. I closed it very unexpected, then I somehow couldnt close it anymore for weeks.

Oldguy: Can you hold the #4 shut when you do a negative?

I am trying to close the #3 now and I cant quite hold it shut yet. But I can close it the way Brookfield said to have closed the #4, by supporting it with a finger from the other hand.

Anyone who has tried the Brookfield thing? I was wondering how far I am away to close it with no support.

I have cheat close a #4 just to get a feel for it. My idea of negatives is to squeeze on a gripper as hard as I can, without assistance, and keep squeezing even when it opens out. I do this once on the 3 & 4. I have no use for reps except as a warmup doing a few on the 1 & 2. When I have mastered the 3 , I will drop the 4.

Guest Jeff Roark

OG,

If you are getting that close without truly training on the 4 maybe you are more gifted than you let on. Very impressive to say the least. How many times have you closed the #3?

The #3 went down today without problems, except that I have an intermittenly annoying habit of the handles twisting at the last moment. I do not know why this happens or how to prevent it. Like I say it comes and goes. Used to happen with the #2 as well. Now it's time to see if the 4 will cooperate. I am training grip following heavy shrugbar deadlifts. This warms up my hands well. (heavy for me that is)

Only 5/8'' on the 4 today. I wasn't mad with myself for failing on the 3!

except that I have an intermittenly annoying habit of the handles twisting at the last moment

I have the same problem with my left hand.  I've always assumed it was the coil of the gripper winding, being more favorable to the right hand.  Sometimes when I warm up I actually feel stronger in my left on the T-#2, and yet by  the time I get to the Master with the left the reps are awkward.  The strength is there, the reps are just awkward.  It seems more of a matter of control of the gripper.   I've never had this problem with my right.

On the #4 rep to 1/2", my guess is you set the gripper deeper.  When I use the Elite and #4 I sometimes do better than I expect because I just seem to give it more than trying to close the #3, which I'm about where you are on.

Guest sjeff70

I think it is soooo important to do full singles with a gripper you can close for the simple fact...you have to practice the groove.  If my groove isn't greased, it makes all the difference in how many closes I get.  

What's harder...

Trying to get a second rep in a near max Squat or trying to get another rep in a high rep set.  In which scenerio do you think the groove is more critical???    

Jeff

The twisting comes and goes. I only now sometimes experience it with the 3. It's a little frustrating when you get the twisting when you have almost completed the close, as any further force now applied makes the twist worse instead of finishing the close.  Oh well!