Should I Go See Richard Lupkes?

darthsith19

Should I go meet Richard Lupkes?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• Yeah why not?
    • Nah, there's really not any point. Not worth it.

Alright so I live in the same state as Richard Lupkes does. He is supposed to be one of the best armwrestlers in the world. He lives about 3 hours away from me. I plan on becoming a professional armwrestler asap and becoming a world champion. So should I go see Richard Lupkes? I know he could teach me some stuff but I could probably learn it from other people closer to me, but he is a true champion so should I go meet him just because? And, I found his phone number on whitepages.com but if I call him what should I say? Should I just tell him that I am getting involved in armwrestling and would like to meet him?

Or, should I say whatever I'll meet him sometime but there's no point going to meet him soon.

I just think it would be cool, that's all.

definatly worth it. but call him and ask first :p dont do it stalkerstyle. good luck, hope u learn lots of great things if u get to meet him

I'd advise you wait 3-4 years...

Any reasons for this? Or, was that just meant to be a joke.

Edited by Josh H

Whilst I can't speak for Josh, I think he may have meant is that what Lupkes could teach you.... well, you might not be ready for it yet.

I'd advise you wait 3-4 years...

Any reasons for this? Or, was that just meant to be a joke.

I would call him up and introduce yourself and just let him know you are getting into the sport and are wondering if he might be willing to show you a few things. Chances are he will be glad to help you out and invite you for some training. I did the same sort of thing with a very good armwrestler nearby. I went out to his house each saturday for about a month and he basically showed me how to armwrestle and how to train.

• 4 weeks later...

I called Lupkes, he wasn't home and I talked to his wife. She said he never practices. She said he lifts weights and if he needs practice he goes to a tournament. She said she'd have him call me if he did have some guys getting together ever.

I called Lupkes, he wasn't home and I talked to his wife. She said he never practices. She said he lifts weights and if he needs practice he goes to a tournament. She said she'd have him call me if he did have some guys getting together ever.

Richard is one of the strongest armwrestlers in the history of the sport - if not the strongest ever. You would be better off entering a contest in the novice division and meeting some people at your level to train with. Training with someone that much stronger than you won't do you much good.

There have been 2 contests in the past 3 weeks down in the Sioux Falls, SD area. There is a contest this weekend in Madison, SD, and another in 3 weeks in Viborg, SD, then the SD state championships on Aug 16th in Yankton, SD. Contact Chris Josten - the SD state chairman - for contest details: chris@sd-armwrestling.com (www.sd-armwrestling.com) Unfortunately you aren't going to find much else closer than these contests which would be a 4-5 hour drive for you. Good luck.

Wade

What Wade said and you might want to add a "Mr." in there when/if you meet him. ;)

You should listen to some of the advice given to you by some of the board members. I felt the same way u do. I felt that i was good enough to even compete with a world class professional. Im 245lbs. and armwrestled cobra rhodes at a body weight of 168 and didnt even stand a chance against him. and im a decent armwrestler. Get some practice before you go against exerience. trust me you will thank me later.

Alright so I live in the same state as Richard Lupkes does. He is supposed to be one of the best armwrestlers in the world. He lives about 3 hours away from me. I plan on becoming a professional armwrestler asap and becoming a world champion. So should I go see Richard Lupkes? I know he could teach me some stuff but I could probably learn it from other people closer to me, but he is a true champion so should I go meet him just because? And, I found his phone number on whitepages.com but if I call him what should I say? Should I just tell him that I am getting involved in armwrestling and would like to meet him?

Or, should I say whatever I'll meet him sometime but there's no point going to meet him soon.

I just think it would be cool, that's all.

If he's willing to meet with you, then why not? He may share his experience or give you some lessions or exercises to do on your own. Why not learn from a Legend right away? Be like a sponge: absorb as much as you can, from anyone you can. You will however, still need to put in the hard work and time on the table, at a local armwrestling club. :rock

Richard is one of the strongest armwrestlers in the history of the sport - if not the strongest ever. You would be better off entering a contest in the novice division and meeting some people at your level to train with. Training with someone that much stronger than you won't do you much good.

There have been 2 contests in the past 3 weeks down in the Sioux Falls, SD area. There is a contest this weekend in Madison, SD, and another in 3 weeks in Viborg, SD, then the SD state championships on Aug 16th in Yankton, SD. Contact Chris Josten - the SD state chairman - for contest details: chris@sd-armwrestling.com (www.sd-armwrestling.com) Unfortunately you aren't going to find much else closer than these contests which would be a 4-5 hour drive for you. Good luck.

Wade

There are 2 armwrestling tournaments this summer in MN about 2 hours away from me. Mr. Lupkes is going to the one in Madison this Saturday, his wife told me. I know he is one of the strongest and greatest ever, but he could probably teach me some stuff. Do you armwrestle? I see you live in MN.

What Wade said:

Whereabouts are you Josh?

Minneapolis. In the heart of the city, not a suburn.

You should listen to some of the advice given to you by some of the board members. I felt the same way u do. I felt that i was good enough to even compete with a world class professional. Im 245lbs. and armwrestled cobra rhodes at a body weight of 168 and didnt even stand a chance against him. and im a decent armwrestler. Get some practice before you go against exerience. trust me you will thank me later.

Thanks, but I have 0% expectations to beat Lupkes. But like others said, he could teach me some stuff. I watched a training video with Allen Fisher on ArmTv and he said no matter what the weight or skill level, any 2 people can practice together and get good practice. But I am practicing with a few guys who are more on my level this Saturday. Well, I am closer to them anyways... Lupkes yeah maybe I can beat him like 25 years from now. ;)

Josh - where are the MN tournaments?...I haven't seen anything posted for them.

Edited by Wade Gillingham

Where did you look? There is one in July and one in August, down by Rochester. There may be even more, I don't know the dates yet but I will very soon. I can give you more info when I get some, if you'd like.

Where did you look? There is one in July and one in August, down by Rochester. There may be even more, I don't know the dates yet but I will very soon. I can give you more info when I get some, if you'd like.

I just look on the northeast board since MN doesn't have a website. Yeah, let me know when and where and how you found out about them.

Hi Josh!

What's your experience level in arm wrestling at the moment?

I would try and hook up with Lupkes for sure if only on a once a month

basis. Call and talk with him first. He's a very nice man and the STRONGEST

arm wrestler I've ever pulled. I've messed around with Lupkes after a tourney

and he pulled me up on the table why I was using both hands.

I'm a former pro arm wrestler myself (1979-1994) and Lupkes is without

a doubt the strongest human I've personally met. Scott Norton, Bobby Hopkins,

and Cleve Dean run a close second.

If you meet up with him let me know and I can explain a way you can pull with him

so that it will be fair and you can give him a workout too.

Hope this helps.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Hi Josh!

What's your experience level in arm wrestling at the moment?

I would try and hook up with Lupkes for sure if only on a once a month

basis. Call and talk with him first. He's a very nice man and the STRONGEST

arm wrestler I've ever pulled. I've messed around with Lupkes after a tourney

and he pulled me up on the table why I was using both hands.

I'm a former pro arm wrestler myself (1979-1994) and Lupkes is without

a doubt the strongest human I've personally met. Scott Norton, Bobby Hopkins,

and Cleve Dean run a close second.

If you meet up with him let me know and I can explain a way you can pull with him

so that it will be fair and you can give him a workout too.

Hope this helps.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

I am a beginner, with almost 2 years of consistent pulling at school over desks, and did my first tournament almost 3 months ago. I have more planned. Yeah I know Lupkes is extremely strong, I even read on the John Brzenk Q&A page that John said Lupkes is the strongest man he's ever pulled. Mr. Lupkes never trains, however, but sometime I will hopefully get to pul him after a tourney.

I just look on the northeast board since MN doesn't have a website. Yeah, let me know when and where and how you found out about them.

For armwrestling tournaments in/near Rochester, call Todd:

(507)-765-2324

For wristwrestling tournaments in MN and the surrounding states, call Jerry:

(563)-568-5275

Another armwrestler gave my this contact info.

Edited by Josh H