G5's

TravisRush

Maybe I can't find this, but does anyone know how tough these G5's in order?

"JH", Triangle, "FNL TY"

I kinked a Triangle one to about 30* but only moved the JH to about 5*

Edited by TravisRush

In my experience, TY FNL is the easiest, then triangles, then the JH's. Some of those blackish JH's cal'ed at 400ish lbs. at the 6'' length.

In my experience, TY FNL is the easiest, then triangles, then the JH's. Some of those blackish JH's cal'ed at 400ish lbs. at the 6'' length.

Exactly my reply. There is a very noticeable difference between the TY-FNLs and the JHs.

Does this hold true with all bolt diameter and grades?

I may be wrong, but I think with the 5/16" stuff the order of difficulty is this (at least for the 6" stock): TY FNL, JH FNL, W.T. and then Triangle - easiest to hardest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I may be wrong, but I think with the 5/16" stuff the order of difficulty is this (at least for the 6" stock): TY FNL, JH FNL, W.T. and then Triangle - easiest to hardest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I think you pretty much nailed it Paul. I remember those linear "S" bolts were the hardest at the SOHGC this year with a cal. around 745lbs. at 6''. I think the Triangles are right with the W.T.'s at 715ish. But in any case the range of difference isn't huge, with the TY FNL at 665lbs. and the Linear "S" at 745lbs. So across the board a max of 80ish pounds. The JH FNL cal'ed at 685, the W.T. at 715, and the Linear "S" at 745. Hope this helped buddy! :cool

I think you pretty much nailed it Paul. I remember those linear "S" bolts were the hardest at the SOHGC this year with a cal. around 745lbs. at 6''. I think the Triangles are right with the W.T.'s at 715ish. But in any case the range of difference isn't huge, with the TY FNL at 665lbs. and the Linear "S" at 745lbs. So across the board a max of 80ish pounds. The JH FNL cal'ed at 685, the W.T. at 715, and the Linear "S" at 745. Hope this helped buddy! :cool

Cool! thanks Jeremiah - I wish there was someway to calibrate the crushdown - cause it seems that some stuff isn't that hard to kink but ridiculous to crush and visa versa. Agree? maybe someone can cheat bend some bars to past 90 and then use a gripper calibrater to cal the crush - any other suggestions? < <

In 1/4 inch I have to agree. The FNL or fastenal G5s are by far the easiest. You can tell it too by the bend they make. There are a couple different makes of triangles and they would have to be middle in my opinion too. As a matter of fact the FNL cal'd at 345, the triangle cal'd at 390 and the JH greenish ones hit 400. Honestly, I think the JH at 6 inches is harder than the FNL at 5.5 inches so really for bending purposes you could almost consider the FNL like a grade 4 in the sense that it can help you to get to the harder G5s. Somebody had some silver JH G5 bolts that hit 430 which is way crazy for a G5.

Also, if you ever run into any "LE" or Lake Erie G5s, they'll be really tough. Everything they make is premium.

Fastenal uses other manufacturers that put the "FNL" on the head so don't think it necessarily means every size will be that way. Might be, but might not.

I guess we all pretty well agree on the G5s.

Tim

I was thinking about this and another super easy G5 is the "P" from overseas that I bent some of last year and the year before. As easy as the FNLs for sure. My shortest DU G5 was 3.75" and I believe it was an FNL but can't remember now.

Cool! thanks Jeremiah - I wish there was someway to calibrate the crushdown - cause it seems that some stuff isn't that hard to kink but ridiculous to crush and visa versa. Agree? maybe someone can cheat bend some bars to past 90 and then use a gripper calibrater to cal the crush - any other suggestions? < <

This is a great idea Paul. I have been attempting 5/16 stainless and It got to 90 degrees pretty easy but then. . . . what the hell ? The crush is way harder that the kink. I would love to see some crush down calibration and the gripper calibrater might be the answer. BUT, the calibrater sure would have to be mounted securely because the weight would be tremendous.

Some of the triangle G8s are american made I think and some are Canadian best I can tell. Some of those have hit crazy high numbers like 495. The LE G8s hit 485 and typical JH G8s hit 465. Weakest I've had are nucor that hit 445 but Ben had a batch of these that he said were tougher than LE bolts.

Later,

Tim

hmmm all the G5's I have been bending have the triangle on them. Usually they bend extra right at the threaded part which is the indicator they are extra hard. This is good stuff to know. At least I have not been using the easiest ones though.

All the triangle G5s I've bent were plenty strong so that's a good bend. Pad placement and thickness can have an affect on if the threads bend or not. Hand placement can affect that too. I've noticed variations as I've tried out different pads and styles over the last couple years.

Later,

Tim