Grinding out progress

Roark

Question for those of you 'able' to answer:

If you are able to close the #3, does that mean that you

can grind the handles slowly back and forth on the #2 as

you hold it shut? And, back to the #3- can you grind the handles on it as you hold it shut?

For those who can close the #2- can you hold the #1

shut and grind the handles?

Finally, how many reps must you be able to close a #2 or

a #3 before you have been able to grind the handles?

Thanks.

I've been able to grind the handles back and forth on the #2 for awhile, long before I could close the #3.  Recently, on the Beef Builder Master I've been able to grind the handles back and forth, when I was about at 4 reps on the Master.  That's what I remember the reps on the #2 being when I could grind the handles back and forth.  I think I know why you're asking, it would be astonishing to grind a #4 back and forth.

I am wanting to determine, if possible, whether

grinding a gripper is as important a progress step

as reps with that same gripper.

Tom, you could grind the 2 long before you could

shut the 3? How far along on the 3 were you when

you did this with the 2? Closing the 3 halfway, for

example?

Do you consider that grinding is building or demonstrating

strength? That is, would grinding a gripper while holding it

shut be as beneficial  as repping it shut. A grind hold

instead of a strap hold.

I can grind the #2 no problem. I haven't tried  to grind a 3. I once held it closed and then walked around the house looking for my son to show him the handles touching! I dont do high reps except when I first got my 1 and 2. I made a strap lifting device but never used it. My approach continues to be, to do 3 to 5 reps on the 1,  2 or 3 on the 2, and then squeeze and hold the 3 as though my life depended on it for one rep, finishing with an all out effort on the 4 also for one rep. I feel that I do not need the stimulus or trying to hold onto a strap. I just squeeze and hold. I do not see much connection between doing more and more reps on a gripper and being able to then do better on the next hardest gripper. I also have no interest in plate loaded grippers of any kind.

I haven't closed, even my easiest 3, yet. I have been able to grind the handles of my  easier 2s for a long time. I haven't tried my harder 2, it's pretty new.

I rarely do over 3 reps. I guess I have a short attention span!

I might try some higher reps, soon.

With the grinding and reps, the strenght of the given gripper ie weak 2/ strong2, is going to make a huge difference.

That "grinding" that Joe does in the video defies description.

The technique he uses... I call it "rolling", since it seems that in the video he places the gripper in his hand and rolls it to a close.  Then when it is closed, he is able to move the handle back and forth (again this is simply jaw-dropping), and you can hear the clicking of the handles.

I can do this on my #2, but as for any of my #3's... no way.  I did shut a #3 on video, and if you can listen carefully, you can hear three separate clicks spaced a few seconds apart.  I think that was mostly luck, and I haven't been able to duplicate that since.  When I "go for the close", I close the #3 straight, and I am unable to move the handle back and forth to create that sound.

Is this interpretation correct so far:

Being able to grind one gripper happens before

closing the next level gripper in some cases.

Being able to grind a gripper is an advanced stage to

being able to close that same gripper.

So any gripper that one can grind, appears to be one

gripper level step beyond simply closing that same gripper.

So if you can grind the 4, you are probably advanced

toward clsoing the next level, if there is one?

Roark, I agree.  If you watch the Kinney video, he is closing the #4 AND moving his fingers back and forth to create that sound, just to prove that the handles are touching each other.  Again, to me, this defies description.   :0  :crazy  :0

Guest sjeff70

It is easier to close a gripper with the roll technique Snott describes, the only problem is that it won't get you that final 1/8 or so because there's no room left.  BUT, if you hit that special place right in between the roll and a straight on attempt, you can grind rather easily.  

I can grind the #1 and I'm 1/2" away from closing the #2.    It's completely accidental though...sometimes I miss my typical straight-on groove I use to close the #1, and I'm right in between the "roll" and my straight-on close.  Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to duplicate this groove.

I use strapholds...it might make a gripper easier to grind when the conditions of the groove are right.

Jeff

I believe its just a strength issue.  For example, I'm sure lots of you can take your 1 or 2, close it, then grind the handles.  I'm sure Heath or some of the others can do the same w/the 3.

There is video of Steve Weiner (3Crusher) grinding his #3.