Stabilizing Bar Used To Train Wide Pinch Lifts

Brad Manion

Last night was the first time I was ever able to pinch a set of five 10# plates in either hand. I had to have a loading pin run through all of them and have it clamped at one end, but it was still tough for me nonetheless. I guess I could address my question to guys who can pinch at least five 10# plates per hand and other tough feats as well, such as two 45's:

How much do you feel training with a stabilizing bar would help in developing one's ability to pinch-lift wide objects with one hand? If so, how do/did you utilize this method? I found that one I was locked out, I could hang onto the five 10# plates for about 5 seconds with my right hand; with my left, I was just able to lock out the lifts.

I found that when I normally try the 5 plate pinch, my hand is strained so much just stretching out over the plates, that I'm not trying as much to crush the weight as I did with the stabilizing bar.

It's hard for me to say too much about this. by the time I got around to trying 5x10 I got it on my first try. I also have very nice plates for this. Something I do now is 5x10 with a bar throught the middle and weight added. So, I'll do 50 plus a 2.5 on either side and so on. I think this helps a lot. And if you can get them with the pipe that will be a stepping stone to without. If you don't have 1.25 plates you can get big washers or really anything that allows you to micro load. I think you will need to kepp trying the 5x10 regularly. There will be a bit of a mental block otherwise. But, that can be a nice training tool to work with. Also, you can try putting some chalk on the faces of all of the plates. That will help decrease the slippage.

Brent

Interesting subject. I'm dreaming of doing the 2 45's feat. I'm still pretty far from doing it though and most of my training is based around using those 2 45's and doing 2HP's with them using a pipe trough it. My max is 175 pounds like that. Once every three weeks I do some negatives and other exercises to work up to the 2 45's.

I was wondering how good this plan is. To do 2 workouts of 2HP's, alternated with 1 workout of negatives, incline drags and other extercises.