Finally Bending Some Horse Shoes

wscorpion

It took some time before I had some horse shoes available for bending, but tonight it finally happened ;)

So as my first bend I gave the St. Croix Forge Polo #2 a try. I couldn't get it past the 180 degrees, so I still need to work on that technique.

Second I gave some other (dunno what brand) horse shoe a try bare handed, this one I could fully finish ;)

Here are the vids to the bends:

St Croix Forge Polo #2:

---------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0-opByxYJk

Unknown Brand #5:

---------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxBLiXi8Lk

If you know the unknown brand, please let me know :D

So, what are the rules for bending these things, if there are any?

Should it be a heart shape before the bend is complete, or is >= 180 degrees sufficient?

Personally I would go for the 180 degrees since it's a lot easier to measure then a heart shape ;)

cool bends, i especially liked the barehanded one. Good job!

Edited by TKtheGreek

Thanks!

And btw, just made a heartshape out of that #2 Polo.

Realized that a little more padding would probably do some good, and it did.

Finished it within 10 seconds or so ;):

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7387

Edited by White Scorpion

Your thighs will toughen up in no time so less padding will be needed eventually(which makes it easier). When you do use padding, try rolling it up into a cylinder and pushing the center of the shoe on it, it'll help you get that little extra distance past 180 on a tougher shoe. Last tip, put your driving hand hanging half off the shoe leg, imagine where it is during a DO bend with thin pads.

Other than that, great bends!!! I'm not sure what that #5 is but it looks like a thinner and larger version of another shoe I have. I think it's called a Werckmen(sp?)

I'm pretty new to horseshoes also, but I found one thing that works well for me is to take a really wide stance with my legs, place it on my thigh and lean way over to the opposite side as I begin the pull, this allows me to pull with my arm straight I got much better leverage that way. It might not work well for you. Video here kind of shows how I'm doing it.

Never seen either of those shoes, but nice job bending them!

Great job on the shoes! Never had any experince with a St Croix Forge Polo #2 myself but from what I've heard it's between a st croix forge ultralite #2 and a Diamond classic #1. Very good first shoe!

Never seen the big one. But anything barehanded is cool. :cool

Thanks guys!

@MalachiMcMullen and rniel, the biggest problem was from 200 degrees to approx 240 degree. So just past the "kink".

The extra padding was needed to crush it between my legs since only the thin leather pad wasn't sufficient ;)

Similar to my technique used in short braced bar bending to crush the bar....

But my technique will improve over time :D

Nice shoe bending!!!! The bare handed heart is very impressive!! :rock

Great bends Mark! :rock

Thanks Guys!!! ;)

Nice stuff man, I knew you would be good at the shoes. I like the big #5 bend. I like the bigger shoes better, I wish I could find some easier big ones to start with. Most are enormous. I dig the hatebreed soundtrack too, I just saw them play here last week so I am still amped hearing that music.

Zach is right about the padding too, you will get tougher pretty quick and once you can do it with less you will see how much better it is, much less force dampening. You push and it goes, no big towel to push through before you build enough resistance to get it bending.

Watching these make me really want to try some more shoes, I am sick though and I am really trying to make myself take it easy and actually fully recover. I keep almost getting better and feeling good then I lift heavy or bend a hard scroll and I am all messed up again the next day. I hit some squat pr's monday and then tuesday I felt like I was gonna die. I guess your body can't recover from that and finish off a lingering virus simultaneously. So I can't watch your videos again and hear that music or I am gonna go bend some horseshoes and get sicker again.

Nice stuff man, I knew you would be good at the shoes. I like the big #5 bend. I like the bigger shoes better, I wish I could find some easier big ones to start with. Most are enormous. I dig the hatebreed soundtrack too, I just saw them play here last week so I am still amped hearing that music.

Zach is right about the padding too, you will get tougher pretty quick and once you can do it with less you will see how much better it is, much less force dampening. You push and it goes, no big towel to push through before you build enough resistance to get it bending.

Watching these make me really want to try some more shoes, I am sick though and I am really trying to make myself take it easy and actually fully recover. I keep almost getting better and feeling good then I lift heavy or bend a hard scroll and I am all messed up again the next day. I hit some squat pr's monday and then tuesday I felt like I was gonna die. I guess your body can't recover from that and finish off a lingering virus simultaneously. So I can't watch your videos again and hear that music or I am gonna go bend some horseshoes and get sicker again.

:D

Don't worry, I'll take a small break as well. Got a few (almost) injuries to recover:

- Bicep tendon right arm

- right thumb / thumb pad is heavily overloaded

- muscle required for reverse bending / front lever is slightly overloaded

- legs are bruised from bending

So in a few days I should be ok again :D

Im sure new PR's will fall soon! :rock

Edited by White Scorpion