New 3/4" Bend And A New Scroll

timiacobucci

I bent a 3/4" hrs bar at 36" today.

3/4" x 36"

This was a weird length for a max bend, it is not like a 4' bend or a 2' bend. I got stuck at one point but pulled it through with Aaron's around the ass move. Thanks man I don't think I would have ever tried that one on my own. Worked like a charm at this length too, I was wrong about it only working at close to 4'.

I think I can go shorter but I gotta work on technique and form a bit to pull it off smoothly and in a timely manner for a video.

I also made a scroll I have had the idea to do for a while now. The steel I always had was either way to easy or rediculous to try it with. I made it with 3/8" x 1 1/2" hrs flat stock at 100", just over 8'. This was waaaay harder than the 3/4" bend. Scrolling is fun.

Big Twisty 1

Big Twisty 2

Amazing bend and beautiful scroll Tim!

Those are incredible creations, Tim!

As a side, have you noticed much of a difference in strength with the different brands and batches of A-36?

WOW!!! That's an incredible 3/4" bend Tim!!!! Spectacular scroll too man!! I can't imagine how hard that must've been.

Wow!! :blink That's mighty short for 3/4''!! That must have been kinda stiff! :D And that scroll proves that you are one of the best in that area buddy! Very symmetrical, and a beauty to behold. Congrats on two world-class bends Tim!! :cool:rock

Thanks guys. Eric I would say it is hard to tell. I haven't tried many different brands and the different batches from the same place I get most of my stuff seem pretty consistant.

I actually have found some days I feel super strong and stuff that felt hard before will melt, cut off the same bar even. Other days a routine bend feels like a max, so really I think I fluctuate much more than the steel and that sort of makes me not a very good measuring device if you see what I am saying. I have never experienced a crazy noticebale jump or drop with a36 though. I just sent some of my stock to Tim T recently so he can compared the stuff I have to his. I would certainly like to try more brands to get a better feel for the variation though.

My overall thoughts on a36 though are that it needs a relatively low minimum yield strength to meet the spec and modern foundries are probably pretty good at figuring the least amount of money and time that needs to go into a certain alloy to bring it to spec and not waste much producing something significantly stronger, so I would guess most major brands will be pretty damn close to spec.

impressive scrolls Tim! :rock:rock:rock

Great Work Tim!!! :rock

Both are truely incredible, are there any video's of you making a scroll? Because I'd love to see them!!

That's some incredible stuff! 3/4 that short is really, really good! :rock:rock

Impressive!

Keep at it.

Tim

awesome bending! how long do you think it took you? Have you opened up a gallery yet? you need to sell you scrolls to the public and become famous! :tongue

Thanks a bunch guys. I am pretty proud of that scroll. Sorry Luuc there ain't much video of me doing anything at this point. I want to video some braced bends and shoes and a shiny bastard too. The scrolls though, they take a long time and I rest and think and plan allot so I don't know if that would be much fun to watch. I could try and do a simple one sometime like a big coil or a pretzel. Have you seen Erik's dvd?

Paul I am a very disorganized person, I would like to do something like that but I'm not sure how to go about it and it always feels like I have 100 other things going on and all sorts of stuff I would like to do. When I have built up a decent amount of stuff to show I will try and persue that more seriously I think.

You gotta get on that 3/4" man I wanna see what you can do. Wait till I recover from this last round with the steel, I'll get a camera and get you motivated on that 5/8" too, hehe.

And as for time, the long bar was probably around 5 mintues only because I was screwing around and I got stuck at one point until I tried Aaron's move, so that shouldn't be a problem next time.

The scroll took a good bit over an hour. I had to do allot of resting and coming back to it, I really didn't think I was gonna get those 2 ends crossed like that for a good while. That stuff is no joke, it looks smaller in relation to the 1 1/2" width but it is as thick as a spike and 4 times wider.

Awesome bend Tim :rock:rock I know that is very tough. Congrats!!!!!

Very nice bends Tim. That scroll is super cool. :rock