Extreme wrist pain

Guest Youngguy

Guest Youngguy

My point here is not the bench, but the pain I get in my wrist.  So, for the wrist being a part of the hand I thought I might ask something.  Does anyone else get this, and what do you do to heal.  This pain is on my right hand directly below the palm on the pinky side.  Some times it feels like it could break.

Yeah i feel the same kind of pain when i bench. It's the exact same feeling i get when i do standing curls. I just stretch my wrists and move them around in between sets. That makes the pain go away usually. Sorry i can't help that much, but yeah.

Youngguy,

I used to use a wider grip on bench presses and would get some pain in the wrists. Since that time I have moved my grip closer together (for more than just 1 reason) and found this to relieve the pain.

I know this is just common sense, but it is how I delt with it.

Youngguy,

Are you using a "false grip" when you bench?  If so, DON'T!!  I knew a guy who was and he was complaining of the same thing.  I told him to grasp the bar instead, and his pain soon went away.

try using heavy hammer leverage bar, and maybe cut down on the absolut bench weight for a couple weeks.  Unless you're using mega weights, your wrist pain should resolve.  Also, make sure you keep your wrists as straight as possible.  because that is where they are strongest.  If all else fails, use wrist-wraps, it's better than the consequenses.

You'd better listen to Riotgrip!  He's gonna be a doctor someday!  :)

Had same prob.Tried changeing grip but I'm already pretty narrow.

I quit benching for several months and went to HEAVY flat bench dumbell presses  followed these with fairly light- straight bar- incline press(which for some reason didn't hurt)for medium/high reps(8-12).

Taking a break from bench alleviated the pain and the big dumbells lept my strength up...the inclines kept me 'in touch' with the straight bar without pain.It just seemed to work itself out.

Old timer here at the gym reminds me to really squeeze the bar while I'm pressing.This keeps everything tight.I also do this.

He also asked a good question:Why bother benching??!! but thats not a discussion for this forum :D

i've had a similar problem with pain a little farther down on the arm, about midway on the forearm. Closer grips actually seemed to agravate it. but the main thing that caused it was too much gripper work. I have since cut down on weight on my closegrips and gone stricter, but to this day, if I do more than a single hard gripper workout a week i am pushing my luck. definatly no every-day gripper work for me.

Also, on a nother note, there has been alot of talk recently about bringing the hands closer on the bench to help relieve shoulder pain and what not. this is not a bad idea, however, i used to bench quite close and it is not without its drawbacks. For one, elbow pain can be caused by benching too close- so closer grips should not be seen (in my view) as a panacea to all problems. A moderate grip is probably best for most people.

I get the exact same thing! :crazy  Whoever said to use a leverage bar was right.  I like to do pronations and supinations to help alleviate this.  1-3 set of 10-15 after a bench session should help.  As a matter of fact I need to do this more.