Speed Work On Light Grippers

rolf

My SO just did some work on her Guide and Sport. For fun, I did explosive closes on the Guide during her rests. I noticed that my left hand is nowhere near as fast as my right one. I started thinking about doing maximum-speed reps on a light-ish gripper. Would there be a point to it?

I have a weightlifting background (as in the sport) and thus am of a quick lift persuasion, so to me it would seem like this might work, only I believe I would have to use something like a #1 instead of a Guide.

I think there would be merit unless the gripper is just way too easy. Where that "way too easy" falls is hard to guess. But for an Elite closer I'd guess anything below a #2 on speed closes would be a waste of time.

Slamming it shut fast would actually be good for building power, assuming your using one hard enough, but the guide is too light for that, even.

Edited by Magnus

I think it might be helpful. I use a choked gripper to develop power on the close which I find more helpful than trying to use a light gripper. I found that choker work has helped me break through a platau.

don't be afraid of using light grippers, I think I remember hearing David mortan was on a high volume program using lighter grippers and well he is the best crusher ever!

Nick McKinless recommended speed closed for me when he was getting very strong on grippers, He doesn't keep his name in the spotlight, but he is damn strong, check the last Champion of Champions comp.

Now I do speed closes for warmups. I like it.

I think for me if I get a slow start on a close it is much more difficult. I am between the 2.5 and the #3 I use a #2 to work on speed of close but my sweep is strong and a week crush. So I started doing choker work to round it out and it work's good to good luck ! :D