One-handed Deadlifts

naturalstrength

Just started getting into doing one-handed deadlifts but I am still in the dark regarding certain aspects of this lift. Would appreciate any insight on the subject (ie: hook grip -vs- regular, thumbless, what's considered a good lift in terms of weight pulled on a standard olympic bar, front deadlift -vs- suitcase lift? -vs- between legs lift, etc.) I tried a forum search but couldn't find much on the topic

Many Thanks!

-Carl

Just started getting into doing one-handed deadlifts but I am still in the dark regarding certain aspects of this lift. Would appreciate any insight on the subject (ie: hook grip -vs- regular, thumbless, what's considered a good lift in terms of weight pulled on a standard olympic bar, front deadlift -vs- suitcase lift? -vs- between legs lift, etc.) I tried a forum search but couldn't find much on the topic

Many Thanks!

-Carl

Check David Horne's site for rules and BHSA records (mostly mine).

If you're around 200 bodyweight I'd say bodyweight-225 is really good on the thumbless 1HDL.

Here's an impressive one from my youtube-friend Delmole85:

He has straps on, but still, doing that kind of weight in one arm is impressive.

This guy also has a good grip. Check out his hg300 x 12 and card ripping vids, too.

Edited by Magnus

My max DL is 405, and before I inured my hand I worked up to 275lbs one handed on a cambered bar (lifted in front, conventional style) and 245 on an Olympic bar, straddle style (At 210 lbs bw). I think as long as the legs are strong enough, it's just a matter of grip and practice.

Hook grip makes a big difference of course. I made 105kg but failed 110kg without hook grip. After that I did 150kg fairly easy with hook grip. It just hurt my thumb but it wasn't a hard lift.

please dont mix "no-hook-grip" and "with hook-grip"

1 HDL with straps is not a grip-feat. every powerlifter or weightlifter can do this.

Edited by unequipped

Powerlifting bar vs. weightlifting bar makes a big difference.

Why, can you explain that?

One flexes a little the other does not. Some 'strong' old timers were a little naughty because they used bars which were bent or cambered. The more it bends the easier to balance.

One flexes a little the other does not. Some 'strong' old timers were a little naughty because they used bars which were bent or cambered. The more it bends the easier to balance.

It makes a big difference. With a slightly bent bar i have done 180kg. On a freely spinning bar a lot less.

Ironmind still sells bars like that, I believe.

Yep. Search for 'cambered bars'.

One flexes a little the other does not.

Is it the powerlifting bar that flexes? I haven't used one, so I don't know

Edited by jw7

Depends what kind of bars that are used, but in general PL bars are stiffer then OL bars.

No. Olympic lifting is dynamic so they like a bar that flexes. Where as powerlifting is far slower so they prefer a bar that does not whip around or flex. Others have mentioned 'free spinning' bars and the top quality models have very slick and smooth bearings which make the bar want to roll out of your hand. I've always trained on Olympic bars and if there were several to choose from used the one that spun the most.

Why, can you explain that?

The center knurling is much smoother on a weightlifting bar.

Err no. Knurling depth has more to do with the hardness of the steel. There are some great articles on steel quality use in lifting bars on the Ivanko site.

Err no. Knurling depth has more to do with the hardness of the steel.

What? Weightlifting bars have smoother knurling in the center than powerlifting bars. I don't care what causes it, it's a fact. IIRC, there was no center knurling on weightlifting bars at one point. You don't want rough knurling tearing your throat open in the clean, whereas you don't want a smooth bar sliding down your back in the squat. We're talking Eleiko and other quality bars here, not some shady "weight lifting" bars.

Edited by rolf

I hope one day I'm strong enough to worry about the bar bending from all the weight I put on it :D

I hope one day I'm strong enough to worry about the bar bending from all the weight I put on it :D

A weightlifting bar starts bending at around 100 kg already, so that day it shouldn't be too far. ;)

Err no. Knurling depth has more to do with the hardness of the steel.

What? Weightlifting bars have smoother knurling in the center than powerlifting bars. I don't care what causes it, it's a fact. IIRC, there was no center knurling on weightlifting bars at one point. You don't want rough knurling tearing your throat open in the clean, whereas you don't want a smooth bar sliding down your back in the squat. We're talking Eleiko and other quality bars here, not some shady "weight lifting" bars.

Pull your neck back in. You say you don't care what causes it yet then go on to state it's a fact. Indeed while coming across all like you disagree every single point you make then reinforces what I said. Especially the quoted bit.

Quality bars are made of better steel. Better steel can flex and still be harder to push a knurling tool into. Better quality bars can have knurl in the centre or not. That's something which can be added. We have, for example, a 450-kilo and 700-kilo rated bars in our gym. The thinner, softer more flexible bar (450) had centre knurling.

Both bars are Olympic bars not powerlifting so that in and of itself proves that you're wrong in thinking only certain types (Olympic only) have it. Another example are powerlifting bars used for deadlifts only (it'd rip the shins more than they already get) do not have it but those used for squatting (grip for the neck) and benching (for spotters) do.

What you are saying does not completely oppose my point. I say harder steel is harder to knurl - correct. Not 'what?'. You say that it is deliberately shallow on 'quality' Olympic bars for the reason you state.

Now can you do more than me? Or are we gonna debate semantics over effort in the gym?