Flexibility With 7" Bends

MrZsasz

I know this has been brought up before but I've only recently run into the trouble myself. I just can't seem to get into a power position with any 7" piece of steel. Which isn't so good if someone still wants to bend a Bastard or a Red Nail. My bending somewhat ground to a halt some time ago so I decided to give myself a break. At that point, my best bend was 7" 1/4 square FBBC.

Fast forward to now, and I find the 1/4 stainless and hex both a pain. They are doable but I am just pushing through it. Compare this with the 6" G8 bolt I took down the other day which just felt right and I could get myself into position to really put some power into it. Today I tried a Red Nail and I couldn't find that sweet spot. It just feels incredibly awkward and the power is dissapating rather than being driven into the bar.

Again, I know this has come up but how did some of you get over this hump? I am tempted to just give on the 7" and just begin working to a Big or Huge Bastard. Well, tempted in theory....

Thanks in advance.

if you try to DO a 7.5 inch or even an 8inch then the 7 inch will seem alot shorter and you can prolly get into your power position easier. Stretching before hand could help too. For me when I go for a 7 inch piece I start by bringing the bar back into my neck with my knuckles facing forward then ease into it, by slowly gettting over top of it.

I have the same trouble I am rather large and it is hard to get good leaverage. This is how I do it I grab it a little farther in on the steel it does make it some what harder but once I get it kinked I am fine I slide back and power in. Give it a try maybe it will work for you. :D

Seems like that hit me recently. I had gotten used to the 7 inch and even started to preffer them but then I did alot of 6 inchers and got "unused" to it and boy it was a pain when I tried it again.

You can adjust your grip and use your middle fingers more which is what I've been doing recently. Sorta "fanning" my fingers out more I guess.

You're right though, it is a royal pain and even tougher if you try to unbraced bend an 8 inch piece like an 80d. I did a 8 inch piece of 3/8 HRS and that made the 7 inch feel much better.

Later,

Tim

I know this has been brought up before but I've only recently run into the trouble myself. I just can't seem to get into a power position with any 7" piece of steel. Which isn't so good if someone still wants to bend a Bastard or a Red Nail. My bending somewhat ground to a halt some time ago so I decided to give myself a break. At that point, my best bend was 7" 1/4 square FBBC.

Fast forward to now, and I find the 1/4 stainless and hex both a pain. They are doable but I am just pushing through it. Compare this with the 6" G8 bolt I took down the other day which just felt right and I could get myself into position to really put some power into it. Today I tried a Red Nail and I couldn't find that sweet spot. It just feels incredibly awkward and the power is dissapating rather than being driven into the bar.

Again, I know this has come up but how did some of you get over this hump? I am tempted to just give on the 7" and just begin working to a Big or Huge Bastard. Well, tempted in theory....

Thanks in advance.

There is a GB member, David Wigren who accomplished this incredible feat about 6-8 weeks ago. If your problem is flexibility, imagine doing this:

He very well may have some good advice for you

Exactly my problem. I am pretty big through the lats and chest and lacking flexibility. I have no idea what to do going to try some of the ideas on here. Maybe get an 8" piece and work with it for a bit to get into it. I feel strongest leverage at 5.5" right now. Got to get used to the longer stuff.

I'm no expert, but for me just doing isos with a 8mm x 7inch CRS worked (of course I would do bending of other steel as well). For a long time nothing happened to the steel, then I got a tiny kink. Then after several weeks it all just fell into the place. It still isn't easy to find the right positioning and I have to get started with the bend slowly trying to get the 'feel'.

Wow. Lots of good ideas here. And glad to see I'm not the only one who has trouble. I know I have tight shoulders but I am stretching for that and I get ART now and then. I'm going to start with some bends at 7.5" coupled with iso bend attempts at 7". It's funny but I should have seen this coming. When I was deadlifting off a block to improve my power off the floor. But when I went back to regular deadlifts, I couldn't even match what I was pulling off a 4" block. It had changed my form enough that I needed to re-learn the form. Which is why I will keep 7" iso in the mix lest I forget.......Thanks guys.

if you try to DO a 7.5 inch or even an 8inch then the 7 inch will seem alot shorter and you can prolly get into your power position easier. Stretching before hand could help too. For me when I go for a 7 inch piece I start by bringing the bar back into my neck with my knuckles facing forward then ease into it, by slowly gettting over top of it.

Interesting. A great idea. thanks for posting this.