Ttk

Guest rockblaster

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rockblaster

I would think that someone must use the TTK consistently enough to have an idea as to what  a good "heavy"  weight would be on the TTK.  Any input is appreciated. :)  ;)

Rockblaster,

When I was pinch gripping the hub of an Olympic 45lb plate (something I will get back to shortly) I was using 20lbs for two sets of 10-15 with my thumb on top of the TTK and four fingers on the bottom. A routine suggested to me by Randy Strossen many years ago is: Four fingers on top, thumb on the bottom, two sets of 8-12 reps. Ring and pinky (I hate the word "pinkie", it sounds queer!) fingers on top, thumb on the bottom, two sets of 8-12. Lastly, thumb on top, also two sets of 8-12. This can be done twice per week. At my best, I was using 30-35lbs with four fingers on top. I was not "strict" in the performance of these reps as I would not keep my arm perfectly straight in front of me. In fact, I would place my TTK on top of an old chest of drawers in the basement. This would bring the base of TTK to approximately my mid-chest level. Keeping a bend at the elbow, I would work the 4 fingers and last two fingers. I'd then set the TTK on a flat bench in order to work the thumb. I hope this helps.

I asked this same question here on the board a long time ago and never received a response. Since then, I have worked up to 25 pounds on the TTK for low reps which doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty tough for me. I have heard of others using 20 or more pounds too. I think 20+ pounds is good weight on the TTK. I always attempt to keep my form as strict as possible. When I use the TTK, I work one hand at a time. I hope this helps.

Can one possibly say that the TTK has a ratio rating much

like the PDA Atlas and Gripanator have a ratio rating?

This is what I did with my TTK as an experiment. I put 20lb.

on the loading pin and the began balancing weight plates

on the buisness end where your thumb and fingers go.

It took 42.25 lbs. of weight to move the 20lb. on the loading pin. Is this of any significance?

Or is it too crude to determine that one is actually pinching

more weight than is on the loading pin?

Any thoughts?

Guest rockblaster

Thanks for the input .

Right now I am doing reps like hublifter suggested, using 15-17 pounds and less with the thumb on top .  This position is much harder for me.  I can do 20 pounds if I am just working on the TTk for that day.  I was just wondering about a good weight to work up to since it is extremely hard to progress on this device.  I work on the TTK either on weekends and /or at the end of my regular workouts.