New Article About Credit Card Set

Teemu I

Well, I wrote this article to express my views and opinions on the matter and to help out guys training grippers to spend their time on the things that matter. I'm open to any sort of feedback, but hope not to create an ugly debate leading nowhere around this.

Credit Card Set - A Recent Trend

Edited by Teemu I

i enjoyed the article and i think your right. all i do is negatives, overcrushes, and no set TNS. BUT, i also have the advantage of not having to set the gripper because my hand is big. i think people with smaller hands would have to practice more so then people who don't or people who practice TNS and no set.

Interesting Teemu, I see the point you are trying to make.

I am now in what I would presume you would call the minority in grip training now as in having closed the #3 and no MUST train CCS over anything else as i need to cert on it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head but I would also say, you should try and use all sets at some point in your training to keep things varied and keep muscles guessing. That muscle memory can can grow stale and stop gains if you don't change things in your training every now and then.

Interesting Teemu, I see the point you are trying to make.

I am now in what I would presume you would call the minority in grip training now as in having closed the #3 and no MUST train CCS over anything else as i need to cert on it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head but I would also say, you should try and use all sets at some point in your training to keep things varied and keep muscles guessing. That muscle memory can can grow stale and stop gains if you don't change things in your training every now and then.

Not quite the point I wanted to make, I did not say that you should be training CCS over anything else, but to practice it just enough to nail the technique WHEN you are strong enough to pull it off on most #3's or any #3, that's it, othervise you are better off concentrating on getting stronger instead of goofing around with the card all the time. That is the point I wanted to make.

As for varying things, it needs to planned and more importantly the choice of the set width should be a matter of training appropriately considering your individual weaknesses. I did try to stress these things too in the article.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Teemu I

Thanks for the article Teemu. It was very well thought out and a good read.

Very good, Teemu, well done. But, you forgot to mention the hard CCS vs. the easy CCS

The Hard CCS

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7358

The Easy CCS :rolleyes

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7359

But on a serious note, do you think it's true that Ironmind came up with the CCS rule because they were afraid more people would be certing on the #4 with the inch-set?

Edited by Magnus

:) Thanks Magnus.

I don't think so, they just felt a need to come up with something more specific and universal way to measure the set, as people were closing #3's with deeper set than the 1" set.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. :)

Edited by Teemu I

Great article! Pretty much my thoughts. Wide training can be fun, but I'd just rather go TNS if you want to do it that way.

I do think the CCS was made to limit the amount of #3 closers. It was originally supposed to be a hard feat, then it became within reach for almost anyone.

Another good article Teemu. I had already questioned the topic in my mind, and I'm glad we have some good experience to shed some light on it.

just out of curiosity - if you were certing on the #3 and you were to TNS the gripper in front of your witness, would you even need to fumble w/the card at all? or would the card still need to be used as a formality? thanks

just out of curiosity - if you were certing on the #3 and you were to TNS the gripper in front of your witness, would you even need to fumble w/the card at all? or would the card still need to be used as a formality? thanks
I do think that you would have to stick the card between the handles anyway.

Very good, Teemu, well done. But, you forgot to mention the hard CCS vs. the easy CCS

The Hard CCS

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7358

The Easy CCS :rolleyes

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7359

But on a serious note, do you think it's true that Ironmind came up with the CCS rule because they were afraid more people would be certing on the #4 with the inch-set?

Love this post!!!

But your article Teemu, really hit home with me, I agree that the strength should be the first concern. Then worry about the method.

But your article Teemu, really hit home with me, I agree that the strength should be the first concern. Then worry about the method.
Cool to hear, that is the simple point I wanted to make: use your training time on things that make you stronger and make it happen faster. Why spend your time on something like tons of CCS work, as it's not going to bring you the best possible gains for the reasons I talked about in the article.

Another good article on grippers. Thanks Teemu :D I agree with it all.

Very nice article and I think it's also extremely well written for a not-native speaker. Well done!

great article Teemu

wow, thats a great article right there, good job!

Nice article! You addressed the issues without stating that strictly one type of training should be done (very diplomatic ;) ), and you also gave good advice. I'm starting to pick up grippers again (took a long break from them), and I may try parallel training. I've never done that before, but I think your article sums up the point of training what your bad at very well, as I can move the sweep to parellel of all grippers I own, but can't close all :D

Another good one Teemu. Makes sense - keep it simple, build a foundation of strength, and wait to worry about the specific card cert set when one has the foundation to do so. I'm personally weak on the close and finishing off the gripper. For me this makes sense to work the range that I'm weak on, and train that explosive strength quality. Throw some no-set work into the cycle and it seems like you'd cover all your basis.

I have also wondered whether a plain no set is better than TNS for training. Just positioning the gripper with the other hand gives me enough leverage to get the most out of a close that way.

Thanks for the feedback and nice words guys, glad to hear it made some of you to think about what you should be trying to improve. Some of you summed my thoughts together very well!

Bob, I do think that plain no set is more effective for training than TNS. TNS is lot more about juggling.

i like your brutal honesty and the high level of knowledge u have , your articles are a must read.

congrats :-)

Edited by ewokhugo