Lack Of Energy Before Closing My Favourite "toy"

ewokhugo

I sleep,breath and eat "grippers":-)

i organize carefully my workouts, read carefull some expert's advices and train other muscles before grip work to warm up properly ( back/chest/biceps ... using the dinosaur training approach)

when i pick my favourite toy i warm up and fell i am stronger than ever ... ready to Finally close my #3 (i can close it with a 25 choker easely) using a paralell set ... i am ready to do the job but suddently my energy become too low ... its so bad ... i know this happend when someone its depressed or with lack of motivation ... but my motivation its high ...

if tomorrow i close my #3 i dont know if this felling will change ...

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Edited by ewokhugo

i organize carefully my workouts, read carefull some expert's advices and train other muscles before grip work to warm up properly ( back/chest/biceps ... using the dinosaur training approach)

when i pick my favourite toy i warm up and fell i am stronger than ever ... ready to Finally close my #3 (i can close it with a 25 choker easely) using a paralell set ... i am ready to do the job but suddently my energy become too low ... its so bad ... i know this happend when someone its depressed or with lack of motivation ... but my motivation its high ...

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Hugo, sorry to hear about the bust. I have had similar moments occur. I find if I psyche myself up too much, it actually drains my energy. I perform at my best the more relaxed I am, only tensing up at the critical moments. Of course these are only personal observations that may not have any relevance to you. Give it a day or two and see how you feel, Barry

"Hugo, sorry to hear about the bust. I have had similar moments occur. I find if I psyche myself up too much, it actually drains my energy. I perform at my best the more relaxed I am, only tensing up at the critical moments. Of course these are only personal observations that may not have any relevance to you. Give it a day or two and see how you feel, Barry "

Barry, good point i agree:-)

Mlstrass: maybe if overtraining means thinking to much , actually i dont work more than 2/3 times a week in the gym (overall body weight training and grippers)

Sounds odd, but I find that coffee and chocolate will pick me up mentally just about anytime. I don't recommend caffine relience, but a small bit of coffee and/or chocolate can definitely help. I find that sometimes after a few sets during my exercising I get the same sort of feeling... a sort of exercise depression of sorts. I find drinking either milk of orange juice during the beginning of the exercising can help as well... as does staying hydrated long beforehand, something I always forget :blush .

As was mentioned above, over psyching can be a bad thing, but I keep a few favorite exercise tunes tucked away for just such an occassion, and don't listen to them at any other time. It acts as a mental programming device telling my brain: "this is exercise time, so move ":D . I try to keep my mental state at a constant, but when the "exercise depression" kicks in, I try to pull out all the stops. Sometimes I just take a break - eat dinner - and try again, and sometimes if I can't make it go away, then I end early and try again on what is usually an off day. I don't think it is wise to try things when the "exercise depression" is on, as it can lead to injuries from attempting what the mind doesn't want to happen (even though the body seems ready). I am also known to pray during workouts that I can do my best so that I can be healthier to do more things, this seems to help also ;)

you sound very close to the 3, best wishes

Edited by jw7

Hugo, drink lots and lots of Redbull :D Just kidding. But, you could try taking a creatine supplement to help you out a bit, and like Jared said, eat stuff like chocolate and drink strong coffee black. Also, I noticed you train back/biceps/chest all on the same day. I would change that routine. Not only is it very taxing to do chest and back the same day(which may be overtraining, which will throw you into a state of catabolism), but because you're using your bi's in your back workout, you're already tiring them out, or if you do bi's first, you won't be able to lift as much weight. I do opposites on the same day. This is the way I have my routine worked out:

Monday: Biceps and chest

Tuesday: Triceps and back

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Shoulders, traps, and calves

Friday: Abs and legs

any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

For me, grippers(like everything else) is 90% mental. Picture the grippers already closed in your mind, I mean grinding the handles type of close, then make your mental vision a reality and squeeze that # 3 shut. Now, time to get that #3.5 :rock

Why not try working with the grippers between sets early in your workout instead of after your workout? That way you're still fresh and at your peak. I think the reason most people feel stronger afterwards is because of the "high" when really you just worked your ass off and are really at your weakest.

I don't recommend caffine relience

Please don't get into caffeine use if you don't already rely on it i have been relying on it to train for over 2 years now and up til a month ago hadn't had a workout without at least 300mg+ caffeine before hand. Caffeine in high amounts does allow you to focus (and still does, in my case) but the long time use of it causes a lot of problems namely tolerance, headaches when you haven't had caffeine, nervousness for no apparent reason, sleeplessness, inability to wake up properly before you have had caffeine, nausea/stomach upsets, inability to eat much in one go etc...

Recently i have cut down on the caffeine i have about the equivalent of 2-3 cups of coffee pre workout these days and even though i have noticed a dip in training performance i am able to focus on the task at hand in other ways recently what i have been doing is not getting aggressive or angry at anything or anyone anymore instead saving it and everytime i feel annoyed take it out on a gripper it really works well.

Agree on above. (No offense Sam for pointing at your case) but this is what I meant by reliance. Still though, 2-3 times per week coffee/caffeine is not bad, and studies have shown it has some health benefits in small doses (1-2 cups 2-3 times a week), but again, agree above in the don't get hooked.

Just wanted to clarify, I wasn't saying get hooked on caffeine or anything, but as in most things, they can be used for good in moderation

Edited by jw7

Agree on above. (No offense Sam for pointing at your case) but this is what I meant by reliance. Still though, 2-3 times per week coffee/caffeine is not bad, and studies have shown it has some health benefits in small doses (1-2 cups 2-3 times a week), but again, agree above in the don't get hooked.

Just wanted to clarify, I wasn't saying get hooked on caffeine or anything, but as in most things, they can be used for good in moderation

It's ok mate, no probs. My post was using my example to put Hugo off consuming excessive caffeine. In the short term he will close the #3 sooner but in the long term he will need it everytime he trains - and 'needing' caffeine is the problem. I agree, a cup of coffee a day, considering that it is an antioxidant, is good for your health. Caffeine is a lot more addictive than people realise.

Why not try working with the grippers between sets early in your workout instead of after your workout? That way you're still fresh and at your peak. I think the reason most people feel stronger afterwards is because of the "high" when really you just worked your ass off and are really at your weakest.

I agree with this sentiment. I always perform my grippers before my workouts or after a few sets of pull ups. When I try after my workouts I feel drained, particularly when it is a cns intensive workout. Personally I would avoid using any supplements that are not already used because they are not inherently needed unless your training volume requires it. One or two bananas or a slice of toast with jam on it does the trick for me, or a scoop of recovermax. The only supplement I use is a recovery one because of my training volume and intensity and it helps me recover for work and everyday life. I would never use cafeine, but that is only my personal preference.

what can i say?

i fell like an happy kid because my friends gave me good advice ...

i am really happy because the lack of energy was my main problem .. its obvious (i didnt realize this ...)after about 50 mn of training (Magnus ... i train 2 bodyparts each workout only ... i said chest/back/biceps ... to give an idea i train all my body in 3 workouts during the week) i fell little tired and my energy its not at his peak ... picking a gripper at this point its BORINg ... its like waiting to close sometimes u fell u are not at 100% to do it ... this state of mind its confusing...

in fact i need to start to do grippers in the beggining of my training after a few sets of warm up (like Jose and Kiselbj said ...).. already did this kind of approach during the rest period of squats(it works) but if i am doing back or other groups , doing gripper during the rest period its not good because my hands are sore.

Sam/Jared: i drink about 2 coffee a day . one before my workout ... sometimes i eat chocolate along with my coffee(it feels good!) if the old ultimate orange was available ... it was the best thing i drank to boost energy about 10 years ago ...

THANKS THANKS

I don't consume ANY caffeine from any source, except maybe the small amounts found in chocolate. I do not drink coffee, and I do not consume soft drinks, sodas, cola, whatever. I take a simple whey protein after a workout, and take a creatine supplement before I go to bed.

I used to do my grip workouts after the gym, but I realized during my grip routines, my biceps are flexing, my triceps are flexing, and it even feels like I'm using my chest muscles when closing grippers. Because of that, I started doing grip work before the gym, and I've seen better results. Most likely thats just from more energy from muscles that aren't fatigued.