Ivanko Gripper Vs Standard Grippers

Tel0004

I'm looking on working on grip strength, and I'm trying to decide on the Captains of Crush vs the ivanko super gripper.

Its seems like everybody talks about the COC, and there really isnt much talk on the super gripper, so I was wondering if there is an advantage to one or the other, or is it just the fact that its easier to talk about COC grippers. I realize talking about closing a number 3 has a special thing about it that the ivanko super gripper just doesn't have, therefore there will be more threads on COC, but even on threads talking about training, people just don't seem to mention using the ivanko super gripper.

So, as a begginer, what would you guys recommend. I would like to get certified on the #3 one day, but that a long ways away.

Id like to spend around 60 or so, so I could get 3 coc gripper,

or the complete set of heavy grippers.

If I were you, I'd get three CoC grippers instead of the Ivanko toy. Then I'd buy the KTA program for grippers. You'll make very fast progress this way. If your goal is to close a #2, e.g., you would want to buy the 1.5 (which you should be able to close), the #2 (your goal gripper), and the 2.5 (for negatives). Adjust this recommendation to whatever your actual goal is.

I've bought the Vice gripper (same as ivanko except cheaper and with knurling on the handles) and like most people say, it's great for building up crush strength with small increments at the time, however, it's not that great if your goal is to close a big gripper.

Of course it will always help, but I noticed that especially the last mm of a gripper is very hard to train using a vice gripper / ivanko super gripper.

I've also ordered the Vulcan gripper, which I believe would be the best way to go. It has the advantages of the gripper and vice gripper put together.

Only thing that worries me a bit is that is doesn't have any knurling since I'm not used to it, but I don't really think thats going to be a problem ;)

If you only have so much to spend, and your goal is:

- to get a good crushing strength, get the vice gripper or the vulcan gripper

- to get Ironmind certified, get some IM grippers

- to get better in closing grippers, for contest, etc, then I would suggest the cheaper grippers, which will allow for a much bigger range at the same price.

Even though the cheaper grippers tend to get easier after a while, it should still be sufficient for your training needs ;)

just my 2 cents :D

I've bought the Vice gripper (same as ivanko except cheaper and with knurling on the handles) and like most people say, it's great for building up crush strength with small increments at the time, however, it's not that great if your goal is to close a big gripper.

Of course it will always help, but I noticed that especially the last mm of a gripper is very hard to train using a vice gripper / ivanko super gripper.

I've also ordered the Vulcan gripper, which I believe would be the best way to go. It has the advantages of the gripper and vice gripper put together.

Only thing that worries me a bit is that is doesn't have any knurling since I'm not used to it, but I don't really think thats going to be a problem ;)

If you only have so much to spend, and your goal is:

- to get a good crushing strength, get the vice gripper or the vulcan gripper

- to get Ironmind certified, get some IM grippers

- to get better in closing grippers, for contest, etc, then I would suggest the cheaper grippers, which will allow for a much bigger range at the same price.

Even though the cheaper grippers tend to get easier after a while, it should still be sufficient for your training needs ;)

just my 2 cents :D

Like White Scorpion I would recommend that you get David Hornes Vulcan gripper, it really is the best of both worlds. Its about half way down this page:

David Hornes Site

But if its between the Ivanko and Ironmind COC's for me there is no contest! Ironmind wins every time. However at the end of the day the kit is not the most important thing its how much dedication you put in! Whatever you choose work hard and in no time you'll have a strong grip.

Edited by Fraser

Vulcan

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll look into the vulcan, but man, is it expensive. Too bad the US exchange rate sucks right now.

I think I might get a sledge hammer also to work on forearm strength, and maybe I'll get into bending, and blobs and all that stuff in the future as well.

If I were you, I'd get three CoC grippers instead of the Ivanko toy. Then I'd buy the KTA program for grippers. You'll make very fast progress this way. If your goal is to close a #2, e.g., you would want to buy the 1.5 (which you should be able to close), the #2 (your goal gripper), and the 2.5 (for negatives). Adjust this recommendation to whatever your actual goal is.

No disrespect Rex, but that's stupid. No one should EVER under ANY circumstances do KTA without AT LEAST a couple months of base building on your grip strength. Now, that said I'd also recommend a Vulcan. I know it's expensive and all that, but it replaces every COC gripper made and then some. It has an infinite range of adjustability, you can't get much better then that. The only downside is it doesn't replicate the skew of regular grippers, other then that the design is near perfect, get it, no question.

Grippers can't be beaten. Go with a CoC#1 a #1.5 and a #2 if you can only afford 3 of them.

Grippers can't be beaten. Go with a CoC#1 a #1.5 and a #2 if you can only afford 3 of them.

If you would want to buy only grippers, then I would suggest #1 - #2 - #2.5

I don't have the #1.5 and never missed it ;)

You'll get that #2 soon enough :rock

..... I still believe the Vulcan is a valuable asset though ;) .....

Edited by White Scorpion

• 2 weeks later...

All I have to say is I hate the Ivanko Gripper. I think they standard grippers work much better.