The Big Bowtie

timiacobucci

I felt like crap today and I had some 1/2" x 1" flat steel hanging around so I felt like bending something to have some fun. I had a slightly longer peice at just under 59". Even if I cut this in half it would be less than 30", so however I cut it I figured I was going to waste a big peice which I didn't want to do. So I decided to try a simple scroll. It turns out even putting 2 bends in it reusing the center section for both bends is still the same as 2x sub 40" bends AND I wanted to cross them.

Big Bowtie 1

I also bent one leg way off center if you can't tell from that picture. I even marked the bar at 19.5", you can see the blue line where the center of the bend was suppose to be. It was about 2.5" off, so that one leg was about 17".

Big Bowtie 2

I also wanted the crossed ends as tight as possible which meant I had to unbend and twist each end over to the opposite side and recross them after I already had them fully crossed the first time. This made it like 2x more work but I like the way it looks allot better. The short leg was harder to do but I would have liked it better being more symmetrical.

Overall it was a monster. It took me well over an hour of fighting for every inch and I was pouring sweat. Doing this in 3/8" x 1" maybe at a shorter length could be a show quality scroll. You are never gonna see a video of me doing this in 1/2" though that is for sure, maybe at like 72".

Which do you think would be a more impressive show bend? 1/2" x 1" x 6' bowtie or 3/8" x 1" x 4' bowtie?

Very cool :D

Edited by big nasty

Another awesome scroll Tim!

Cool! That thing looks massive. Now you just need to scroll a nice metal tuxedo to go with that bowtie.

Seriously this makes me want to go into brace bending. It's a shame that the few local metal places only does brass or bronze. I have to go something like 30-40 miles to find a place that does stainless. And the few places I've found in the other parts of the country only deals with industry and isn't willing to sell anything unless you buy a massive amount of it. A36 doesn't even exist here, it may actually but it would go with a different brand name since the term psi doesn't exist here. It's a shame.

Thanks guys.

David that sucks man. Try looking for rebar. They gotta have that. It is harder but look for grade 40 it is similar to a36. Not as much variety but it is something.

How expensive is bronze? I know the brass and stainless are way too $.

cool stuff Tim, hows the RAVEN coming?

Awesome scroll Tim!!! I personally think the 1/2" x 1" would be more impressive to the average person and to the eye since it's so much thicker and bigger steel.

Thanks guys.

David that sucks man. Try looking for rebar. They gotta have that. It is harder but look for grade 40 it is similar to a36. Not as much variety but it is something.

How expensive is bronze? I know the brass and stainless are way too $.

Hey, I didn't even think about rebar! That stuff is easy to get. Thank you Tim

WOW!!! :rock Tim, man, that thing looks wicked! Looks like you took a piece of railroad track and tied a bow in it!! :blink I'll bet that stuff is a bear trying to get it to bend sideways on itself. Lot of cross-sectional area there. Nice stuff man, you're definitely one of the top scrollers out there. Congrats buddy! :cool

You get a :rock , and a :bow , and a :ohmy , and also a :whacked .

Super scroll, Tim!!!

Cool looking peice of work !!!! :rock

Sick strong stuff - a big "WOW". You guys need to try that 1/2" x 1" to really understand what he just did! Incredible stuff!

Thanks allot guys. I am way proud of this one, I agree with climber too, if you have access to this stuff you gotta try it, it is monsterous and allot of fun to tango with.

Paul the raven is coming, I am just running into allot of tricky things at this point and trying to sort them all out is not simple. For example I am trying to twist some ball bearings into it for the eyes and that is very tricky even with small 1/8" steel. I have allot of experimenting and creative thinking ahead of me to get this thing finished.

I want allot of detail and have a specific look in mind but I am stubborn and also don't want to go any smaller than 1/8" and even at that size it makes allot of things I want to do extremely hard.