Nathan Holles #4

Steels

It is mentioned in the book about CoC-grippers, how he was tested on a couple of different #4's. I don't know the spesifics though.

But a question I'd much rather ask is what's the calibrated poundage on any of the #4's that have been closed. My point beeing to know what to shoot for in training, not to bash anyone's accomplishments. If I get to the point of closing a #4, any #4, I will come out and mention the specs on that gripper including the RGC-measured poundage.

Edited by Teemu I

It is not important to know how hard is his #4. Gazza went to see them and he closed Gazza's #4 for 2 reps (mini reps). He also got the HG500 to about 3mm. Don't worry, they are the real deal. I am sure they will welcome you if you visited them.

It is mentioned in the book about CoC-grippers, how he was tested on a couple of different #4's. I don't know the spesifics though.

But a question I'd much rather ask is what's the calibrated poundage on any of the #4's that have been closed. My point beeing to know what to shoot for in training, not to bash anyone's accomplishments. If I get to the point of closing a #4, any #4, I will come out and mention the specs on that gripper including the RGC-measured poundage.

Most of the 4's that have been shut have not been calibrated and most of those that shut them do not care.

As all the grippers vary, I'd sure like to know the spesifics on the hardest grippers that have been closed. For me, it's not about whose a "real deal" or any of that kind of negativity. I personally think that not all #4's can be closed by anyone at the moment and like to know what's the high mark on standard spread grippers that has been done.

Just putting my to cent's in but is'nt the change in the rule's having to credit card set the gripper set back more cert's? I can't speak to how the #4's where closed up till now maybe I am wrong. I know in my limited experience no set or ccs up's the diffculty quit a bit. :)

• Like 1

It is not important to know how hard is his #4. Gazza went to see them and he closed Gazza's #4 for 2 reps (mini reps). He also got the HG500 to about 3mm. Don't worry, they are the real deal. I am sure they will welcome you if you visited them.

I know a man who has also tried Gazza's #4, and he mentioned it as not being the hardest #4 out there!

In light of the above that means very little. If you had measurements from them all then the statement could be made. We do not and so...

Just putting my to cent's in but is'nt the change in the rule's having to credit card set the gripper set back more cert's? I can't speak to how the #4's where closed up till now maybe I am wrong. I know in my limited experience no set or ccs up's the diffculty quit a bit. :)
Yes, the CCS rule more than the other change that requires you to close a gripper taken straight out of the package. Of these two rule changes, CCS is certainly a bigger factor, making a close of any #4 a very tough feat. Old rule about the set was that the last inch of the close had to be clearly visible.

I know a man who has also tried Gazza's #4, and he mentioned it as not being the hardest #4 out there!

I totally agree with Mobster's reply on this. The "hardest #4 out there" beeing a very subjective matter, Gazza's #4 can still be a very tough gripper, or not, we can't know.

Speculations like this presented as facts are one reason I like the idea of calibration.

Edited by Teemu I

I totally agree with Mobster's reply on this. The "hardest #4 out there" beeing a very subjective matter, Gazza's #4 can still be a very tough gripper, or not, we can't know.

Speculations like this presented as facts are one reason I like the idea of calibration.

I have just sent him an email about Gazza's #4, and this is his reply: " Look! Dude that thing barely felt any harder then my good stiff #3.5! Based on these facts, Holle was probably a decent #3.5 close - THAT IS IT."

I have just sent him an email about Gazza's #4, and this is his reply: " Look! Dude that thing barely felt any harder then my good stiff #3.5! Based on these facts, Holle was probably a decent #3.5 close - THAT IS IT."

That proves what? Especially if you can't completely close either, those estimates might go awfully wrong. With these new grippers IronMind has introduced, there's overlapping. The hardest #3.5 I have closed was 190 lbs on the RGC. Similar poundage to #4 used in a US comp and closed there by 3 guys. There's no way knowing if there are even harder #3.5's than that. Compare the hardest #3.5's with monster spread to slightly below average #4 with regular spread and you get a wrong idea how easy that #4 might be.

Based on a great deal of variation to both ways on all grippers, I would be very careful stating that kind of things. In any case trying to bring down other guy is not making anyone stronger.

Edited by Teemu I

a easy #4 is still an extremely hard gripper . :o

Did he just TRY it or did he CLOSE it also?

Edited by tspinillo

I guess he was just being sarcastic.

This is a careless extension. Your friend has never touched Holle's gripper.

Who made the above statement and if its so easy im shure quite a few people could credit card set it which i doubt its here if you wanna come around and take the challenge.

Ive never been a gripper guy never will be so i dont know how it compares to other 4s let alone any other hard gripper over a 4 its a single stamped one with a 3inch spread.

Oh and by the way Nathan Hole and craig for that matter are far more than a decent 3.5 closer how about inch lifters various pinch feats and elite benders so dont go rubbishing those lads just because they dont come on here its so easy to piss on others accomplishments when there not here to defend themselves.

To be fair they never CCS anything either. But Gazza is correct let's not make up or assume too much about those of who we know next to nothing.

Oh, and to make it clear, I have no idea to whom Steels is referring to. I NEVER got any email and the post does seem to show it was me he replied to. Who was supposed to have actually said that?

I believe Nathan pulled 125KG on a dyno, that's enough for me.

Ah - the Holles - the mystery men! I'd love to visit them, I believe the atmosphere of competition that normally exists between brothers would provide a brutally competitive and positive training setup. They seem to just stay at home and get strong and not care what we think of them - not a bad idea it seems at times. I love training alone but I do think I would be considerably stronger with a good training partner(s) to push me.

What happened to the days of a goddamn #4 being a goddamn #4.

"benchmarked" GR8 springs, ever changing cert rules, and calibrators

How about not caring about Holles #4 compared to anyone elses or other worthless junk. It had to be difficult no matter what. It seems that the guys who are at the top of the pyramid don't care they are probably training.

How about not caring about Holles #4 compared to anyone elses or other worthless junk. It had to be difficult no matter what. It seems that the guys who are at the top of the pyramid don't care they are probably training.

Exactly as per my comment.

EDITED: It might help were I to read the thread before replying....

Edited by The Mac