Horseshoe Brands & # Calibration Ratings So To Speak?

GatorGrip

HORSESHOE DIFFICULTY RATINGS BY BRAND, # and STYLE --- PL versus DC, LITE, Ultra Lite. Polo ect....

I know this should be almost a commonsense thing if you go down the numbers and brands like a:

St. Croix 1 should be easier than a St. Croix 2

or

A Diamond Classic DC00 should be easier than a DC1

but I am ingnorant to the the whole horseshoe calibration ratings so to speak.

Everyone knows I am trying to get myself back into the Grip Game to perform a Strongman Show as a tool for get the attention of my countys youth so I can present a drug and alcohol abuse prevention presentation. Shoes are a favorite feat of strength and I wanted to get a better grasp on the progression so I can shoot for something worthwhile.

If there is already a topic or list type thing on the board feel free to direct me to it and I will be happy.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and encouragement.

I started a thread a couple months ago titled horseshoe progression. Sorry my computer is so slow or I'd find it but if you search that you will find it and it had quite a few good replies.

Basically, the ultra lites are the easiest followed by the polos from St Croix, followed by the diamond classics then the St croix lite rims. Goes up from there but that's as far as I've ever got in my very limited shoe experience.

Eric M has gotten really good at them lately so with his calibration brain he could probably give more info.

Tim

I was thinking about this as well. The previous thread did not address where Lite's fit in with Diamonds, as I recall. I can try to rank the shoes I personally have bent:

St. Croix Ultralight #0, 1, 2 (I can't really tell the difference between these three)

St. Croix Eventer Front #0 (Aluminum)

St. Croix Polo #1

Diamond Classic #0

Diamond Classic #1

Diamond Classic #00

Diamond Classic #2

Diamond Hind #1 (only to 90 degrees)

Diamond Bronco #0 (Only managed 45 degrees)

Here is Tim T's thread

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=25881&hl=

And here is mine which aludes to Tim's.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=26603&hl=

This picture represents some of the shoes that I have bent

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7025

SCF Ultralite #0

SCF Ultralite #1

SCF Ultralite #2

SCF Polo #1

Aluminum SCF Eventer Front

DC0

DC1

Kerckhaert SX-7(tough to say for this one, the crushdown was beastly)

DC1 Hinds(not shown but tougher than regular DC's)

00PL(Bronco shoe and it is not shown but fits in here)

SCF Lite #2 Rimmed

SCF Lite #3 Plain

SCF Regular #2 Rimmed

The two shoes in the middle (the one with chalk and the bigger one next to it) are harder than the Rimmed Regular #2 and the small one is MUCH tougher than a Rimmed Regular #2.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7100

Overall, the toughest shoes I have encountered have been these Kerckhaert #3 SSP's that Adam Glass sent me. I have not taken one past 95 :pinch

Those Bronco(Diamond ##PL) shoes are TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH!!!!!!!! I have never finished one off in one session yet I have done #2 Regs and those crazy Hand Forged shoes in one session and all under 5 minutes. Much respect to the guys who can stick with the pain of a Bronco clear through to 180.

The smaller the shoe, the harder the shoe.

The wider the shoe(not the "U" shape of the shoe but the stock the shoe is made of) the harder the shoe.

As far as calibration and shoe knowledge, this is the best I can offer without being there in person :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I was thinking about this as well. The previous thread did not address where Lite's fit in with Diamonds, as I recall. I can try to rank the shoes I personally have bent:

St. Croix Ultralight #0, 1, 2 (I can't really tell the difference between these three)

St. Croix Eventer Front #0 (Aluminum)

St. Croix Polo #1

Diamond Classic #0

Diamond Classic #1

Diamond Classic #00

Diamond Classic #2

Diamond Hind #1 (only to 90 degrees)

Diamond Bronco #0 (Only managed 45 degrees)

Here I am thinking I will try the easiest shoe to start off with being the Diamond Classic DC00 rather than the DC0 and DC1 I bought. :(

If these are listed in order of thier percived difficulty then I don't feel as weak as I thought I was with that DC00 bend.-- :blush

REMEMBER I AM NEW TO THE SHOE :D

Zach, did you bend the Nordic D-Lux shoes from the sample pack, and if so where do they fit in?

Zach, did you bend the Nordic D-Lux shoes from the sample pack, and if so where do they fit in?

I bent the #2, I'm burnt out on the shoes for now but I'll get back to them eventually and bend the #3. The #2 feels tougher than the DC's by a tad. Maybe nearer the DC Hinds. The pointed ends really stink though because I always push on the furthest point and when it is literally a "point", it hurts more.

Anyone else who is horsing around with the shoes is welcome to chime in with their thoughts and opinions. :D

Actually I think this is a great thread. I'm looking for shoes as well, never bent one myself and don't even know the proper technique.

I had my girl bring me some shoes which were worn already, but those things were not even moving a millimeter :(

hey, I have just started with bending and everything and bent the ultra-lite 0 from the FBBC beginners bag first try. I still can't move the diamond #0 i have, maybe because of lousy technique?

anyway should the polo #1 be a good stepping stone towards the diamond #0? should i order some more ultra lites #1 #2? these things aren't cheap..

is FBBC the cheapest supplier of horseshoes around?

thanks,

Jonathan.

hey, I have just started with bending and everything and bent the ultra-lite 0 from the FBBC beginners bag first try. I still can't move the diamond #0 i have, maybe because of lousy technique?

anyway should the polo #1 be a good stepping stone towards the diamond #0? should i order some more ultra lites #1 #2? these things aren't cheap..

thanks,

Jonathan.

As I posted above, the Ultralite #1 and #2 are not any harder than the #0. The Polo 1 would definitely be a good step, but Diamonds are still quite a bit harder than that. For my part I watched videos again and again (Mostly Zach's) to figure out hand placement and such for bending horseshoes, and it was only with dozens of failures I got a Diamond to move. I mostly only bend Diamonds now because I can get them locally...I don't know of any other shoe suppliers, and unfortunately it is expensive.

Real Quick for those following this thread. I bit off alot for my ability and but I managed to bend the Diamond Classic #00 ( I may rethink this no padding business I done cause I still have a horrendous bruise with a hard spot in the middle of course really high up on the thigh--normal I assume though) thinking because it had two zeros it would be easier than one zero or a 1, 2 ect....

If I got it right then a DC#1 should be a tad easier than the 00?

If these are the DC's where does the PLs fit in, my limited understanding is they are much harder?

Hadn't certed on anything in a long while and I do have a few shoes from FBBC (2 are PL) that I have had a long time and their just aching to get warped but I don't want to waste the FBBC cert shoes so I figure I want to be able to bend a locally bought shoe at least 1 level above the FBBC number shoe before I break off into a cert shoe.

A DC 1 is a fair bit easier than a DC 00 in my opinion, though not enough easier I could tackle one without padding :D I was not aware FBBC ever sold PL shoes...there is not a cert mentioned on the site. I have some from TS where they are sold as 'Diamond Broncos' but are just marked PL 0 or PL 1 on the end of one leg. Anway, they are MUCH harder than any size DC I've tried, and have not managed to get one past 45 degrees yet.

By the way, I bent an easy aluminum shoe bare handed the other day, but I don't know what brand it was. It was used and any markings were worn off. It wasn't too bad, but I realize the shoe has to be easy enough to PULL apart with arm/wrist strength, where usually I PUSH down with all of my upper body strength to get the initial kink.

It is lousy technique. The technique just "clicked" with me as I kept bending shoes. You just have to keep going with it and use what works. Watch some videos on YouTube like Matt did and you'll start to get an idea of hand placement.

The Polo 1 is a great stepping stone to the Diamond #0! The Diamonds are still a good bit tougher as Matt stated but when you get consistent with the Polos, you will have learned the proper technique.

FBBC is the cheapest for guys in the states. You being in Israel kind of mucks things up a bit. It certainly wouldn't be cheap to get a big box of shoes and have them sent all the way over there. You'll probably have to look around or buy from a European supplier if you want them cheaper.

Real Quick for those following this thread. I bit off alot for my ability and but I managed to bend the Diamond Classic #00 ( I may rethink this no padding business I done cause I still have a horrendous bruise with a hard spot in the middle of course really high up on the thigh--normal I assume though) thinking because it had two zeros it would be easier than one zero or a 1, 2 ect....

If I got it right then a DC#1 should be a tad easier than the 00?

If these are the DC's where does the PLs fit in, my limited understanding is they are much harder?

Hadn't certed on anything in a long while and I do have a few shoes from FBBC (2 are PL) that I have had a long time and their just aching to get warped but I don't want to waste the FBBC cert shoes so I figure I want to be able to bend a locally bought shoe at least 1 level above the FBBC number shoe before I break off into a cert shoe.

I recieved PL's as my first shoes! Your thigh will get used to it before you know it Gator :) I thought it was impossible to bend a diamond without padding on my thigh at first but I worked up to it and now it doesn't hurt... but I still bruise :blink

To clear things up, a Diamond brand horseshoe with the letters PL# are the Bronco shoes. The Bronco PL shoes are TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH. MUCH tougher than DC shoes of any type.

Yes, a DC1 is easier than a DC00. The smaller the shoe, the harder the shoe.

FBBC does not offer a cert on the PL shoes(John, you totally should!!!) If you can bend the PL shoes then a DC will feel like a coat hanger.

FBBC does not offer a cert on the PL shoes(John, you totally should!!!) .

Seconded :whistel