Hg400 X 12 Clicks/hg400 X 20-second Hold - On My First Crushing Day Si

G-Man

To my surprise, I did this today. Honestly, I did not expect to be able to close the HG400 since I had not touched that gripper since last year.

HG400 close for 11 seconds (old video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjXJE_k1eI...feature=related

My past training sessions consisted of 100's of "forced reps" with the RB330N. Then I would follow this with up to 35-second holds with the #1 while pinching an old shopping discount card, attached to my key chain.

Forced Rep/Negative with the RB330N gripper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZAncK1gfY

I did that up until January and the only grip-related things I did since then were:

2.5" Thick Bar Hangs - Bodyweight + 45, +90, and +135

(no video)

3" Fat Bastard Crucifix Hold - full stack x 20 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD46r7TBvUE

Thick Bar Concentration Curl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btsoip-OhGs

Thick Bar Dumbbell Wrist Curl - 70-100 x 30-90 reps

(no video)

My “crushing” grip strength is quite possibly at its strongest now – and yet I have not trained crushing strength for many months. Has anyone else ever took a few months off and came back stronger?

Edited by G-Man

Hg400 for 12 reps? :blink That's really good. You should be able to close the #3 for at least 3 reps if you can do that.

Hg400 for 12 reps? :blink That's really good. You should be able to close the #3 for at least 3 reps if you can do that.

It was 12 consecutive "clicks" with the HG400 - you could call them microreps. I have a very old CofC#3 - back when less than 18 guys closed it - haven't tried it in years and doubt I could do it unless I trained specifically for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6qfJAuVaA

A half rep? :rolleyes

Edited by G-Man

i wish u could become mmlevel 0 and post here more often.

Your posts at the "armwrestling forum" are very usefull :-)

"My “crushing” grip strength is quite possibly at its strongest now – and yet I have not trained crushing strength for many months. Has anyone else ever took a few months off and came back stronger?"

i know several guys who did it:-)

Btw, how big are your pipes, G-man? I just turned 17, and I've got mine to just about 18in so far, but yours look pretty huge (19, 20, bigger?)

Btw, how big are your pipes, G-man? I just turned 17, and I've got mine to just about 18in so far, but yours look pretty huge (19, 20, bigger?)

That is very good - think my arms were similar size at your age.

My right is was just under 21" the last time I measured it cold - under 22" pumped; left is much smaller but we are looking to close the gap.

Here's an older pic - from May of 2000:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/gst...pg?t=1210172333

I should add a footnote that I am just finishing up a seven week cycle with a creatine/NO2 suppliment. Maybe this caused the sudden increase in crushing strength?

Keep up the good work. . . and cool shades. :D

My right is was just under 21" the last time I measured it cold - under 22" pumped; left is much smaller but we are looking to close the gap.

I should add a footnote that I am just finishing up a seven week cycle with a creatine/NO2 suppliment. Maybe this caused the sudden increase in crushing strength?

Did you get my pm?? Both creatine and the caffeine in the NO product (most contain it) will have helped a little.

Dang, that's pretty huge, man! :rock Right now, my ultimate goal for my bi's is 20" by the time I turn 20(so far, I've been able to keep them larger than my age in inches ;) ). I just go to the end of a 6-week routine I made, so I'm gonna start a super rest/pause for my bi's and tri's to try to shock them, so hopefully, I'll be a touch past 18" within the next 45 days. Also, I have no doubt that the creatine supplement helped. What one are you on?

Edited by Magnus

Also, I have no doubt that the creatine supplement helped. What one are you on?

http://www.megasupplements.net/en/1888/tra...5-oz-425-g.html

I'm finishing up my second bottle of that - paid $22.49 for each bottle back in January but since it had a February expiration date; I am not sure how much potency it might have lost. It definitely seems to work.

Edited by G-Man

Welldone the HG400 is a tough gripper to close.

Today was my second day off of a 50-day Creatine cycle. I was still a little sore from training back pressure Thursday night - Hammer Curls (two hands) on the curl machine for sets of six to 20 with 190-pounds.

After 35-minutes on the stairclimber and 30-minutes of heavy leg presses (for natural GH boost), I tried the HG400 grippers again:

#1 x 30, #1 x 30, #2 x 10R/1L, HG400 x 5R/1L (warm up)

Amazingly, I got 20 clicks with the HG400 this time around. Even more amazingly, I was able to fully close it with my left hand for the first time ever.

This was followed by sets of six, ten, then a few sets of five. When I could only get sets of three with the HG400, I went down to the #1 and pinched and held an old insurance card in it for 20-30 seconds with each hand for a few sets.

Edited by G-Man

Today was my second day off of a 50-day Creatine cycle. I was still a little sore from training back pressure Thursday night - Hammer Curls (two hands) on the curl machine for sets of six to 20 with 190-pounds.

After 35-minutes on the stairclimber and 30-minutes of heavy leg presses (for natural GH boost), I tried the HG400 grippers again:

#1 x 30, #1 x 30, #2 x 10R/1L, HG400 x 5R/1L (warm up)

Amazingly, I got 20 clicks with the HG400 this time around. Even more amazingly, I was able to fully close it with my left hand for the first time ever.

This was followed by sets of six, ten, then a few sets of five. When I could only get sets of three with the HG400, I went down to the #1 and pinched and held an old insurance card in it for 20-30 seconds with each hand for a few sets.

That's pretty impressive, Gary, sounds like your making some impressive gains. Btw, that hammer curling is pretty insane as well. How much can you 1, barbell curl, 2, alternate dumbbell curl, 3, alternate dumbbell hammer curl?

Btw, that hammer curling is pretty insane as well. How much can you 1, barbell curl, 2, alternate dumbbell curl, 3, alternate dumbbell hammer curl?

Thanks - I only started seriously training backpressure two years ago.

I haven't done a barbell curl since my early teens - at 14, I cheat curled 185 (Bay State Gym, Palmer, MA, August 1986).

By cheat curl, I mean from your thighs to your pec line. I never counted it as a rep if I could not get it to my pec line.

I did do a fair amount of curling (actually cheat curls) with an E-Z Bar, long after I realized it did absolutely nothing for arm wrestling ability. My best was 255 (25-pound bar + four 45-pound plates + two 25-pound plates + two light collars) x16 (Maggs Strength Room, Salisbury State University, Salisbury, MD, August 1994).

The secret was using quality thin 45-pound plates and fastening the collars extra tight - if you didn't, the weights would flop around and kill your momentum. The other secret was doing 1200-1400-pound leg presses prior to training arms to get a natural GH boost. From April to August of 1994, I was able to increase my E-Z Bar cheat curl from 205 x 4 to 255 x 16 using this method. I didn't even take supplements back then either - not even a protein bar or shake.

My best standing alternate dumbbell curl was 145 x 9 - right arm only/no straps (Golds Gym, West Springfield, MA, Fall of 1995). Again, this was full range - like the Barbarian Twins would do - and not like those incomplete weight swings you see on YouTube.

I haven't done anything special with hammer curls but will probably tape 190 x 20 on a machine with a thick bar and add that to my YouTube page.

Edited by G-Man

Btw, that hammer curling is pretty insane as well. How much can you 1, barbell curl, 2, alternate dumbbell curl, 3, alternate dumbbell hammer curl?

Thanks - I only started seriously training backpressure two years ago.

I haven't done a barbell curl since my early teens - at 14, I cheat curled 185 (Bay State Gym, Palmer, MA, August 1986).

By cheat curl, I mean from your thighs to your pec line. I never counted it as a rep if I could not get it to my pec line.

I did do a fair amount of curling (actually cheat curls) with an E-Z Bar, long after I realized it did absolutely nothing for arm wrestling ability. My best was 255 (25-pound bar + four 45-pound plates + two 25-pound plates + two light collars) x16 (Maggs Strength Room, Salisbury State University, Salisbury, MD, August 1994).

The secret was using quality thin 45-pound plates and fastening the collars extra tight - if you didn't, the weights would flop around and kill your momentum. The other secret was doing 1200-1400-pound leg presses prior to training arms to get a natural GH boost. From April to August of 1994, I was able to increase my E-Z Bar cheat curl from 205 x 4 to 255 x 16 using this method. I didn't even take supplements back then either - not even a protein bar or shake.

My best standing alternate dumbbell curl was 145 x 9 - right arm only/no straps (Golds Gym, West Springfield, MA, Fall of 1995). Again, this was full range - like the Barbarian Twins would do - and not like those incomplete weight swings you see on YouTube.

I haven't done anything special with hammer curls but will probably tape 190 x 20 on a machine with a thick bar and add that to my YouTube page.

Wow, your alternate Db curl almost matches Mat Duvalls :ohmy The most I've ever db curled is 60lbx8 :blush, and bb cheat curl(I consider it from my thigh to my chin) 150 for a few reps. You are one strong dude :rock

Wow, your alternate Db curl almost matches Mat Duvalls :ohmy The most I've ever db curled is 60lbx8 :blush, and bb cheat curl(I consider it from my thigh to my chin) 150 for a few reps. You are one strong dude :rock

Thanks - but Mat says his best is 140:

MAT DUVALL: ARM TRAINING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl6pi0jrmLc

Thanks - but Mat says his best is 140:

MAT DUVALL: ARM TRAINING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl6pi0jrmLc

Yeah, I saw that a while back. I can't figure that out, cuz his site says 145x10, so maybe that vid is older(?) Idk,

but must be cool to maybe have stronger bi's than Mat :bow