Some New Braced Bends

vikingsrule92

These videos aren't the greatest, the 5/8" Square is a little dark and the 5/8" kink is hidden by the table I had the camera on :D but I'm so damn proud of these bends I wanted attention ;).

5/8" x 29 7/8" HRS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c2FTp1YNeQ

5/8" x 42" Square HRS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkx5qKeRmjQ

ECSTATIC about these bends!! I think I'll go for the 29" in 5/8". But I can't decide if I want to go for the 41" or 40" of the Square. Thoughts or opinions?

Here's the full writeup from my log because I'm too lazy to write it again :D

"More Braced bending!!!

Warmups:

3-60ds

12" Shiny Spike-for some reason this was hard, I really don't know why. I thought this was a bad omen but this workout ended up DAMN good!!

5/8" x 42" Square HRS PR!!! REALLY easy!! Not sure if I want to go for the 41" or the 40" next workout. Thoughts?

5/8" x 29 7/8" PR!!!! YESSS!!!! Sub 30"!!!!! SO exuberant about this!! Fairly tough, but not as tough as the 31" last time. Probably because I didn't do it first so I was more warmed up. I'll probably go after the 29" next time.

3/4" x 48" Not even a kink. This really felt like it would move but its so damn awkward since its so long. I'll get it eventually I suppose.

1/2" x 16.5" PR This was by far the hardest bend of the day. I needed more chalk on my pads, they were slipping all over the damn place, thats why I could only get it down to 4", instead of farther.

9 3/4" Galvanized Griprite PR Not to bad, never finished one of these before, nice thing to work up to the 10" Keystone Tim I gave me

9" Shiny Griprite PR Sweep was damn tough

Isos on a 12" Tree Island. I kinked it farther then it was before, but when I went for the sweep it kept flexing but not bending. If I'm fresh and I do it from straight I think I can do it.

Craploads of KB work, not sure exactly what. Some TGUs, Snatches, Jerks, Presses, OH Squats, etc.

Ran a lap around my mobile home park with a brief ~30 sec walk where I couldn't keep jogging. Pretty mad about this, I was so close to making it all the way, stopped about 1/4 mile from my house. I'm going to go cal how long this route is in my car.

The vids of the 5/8" Square and 5/8" will be up shortly."

Nice Bends Derek :rock:rock That 3/4 inch stuff is tough. I kinked a piece at SOHGC and Eric had to finish it :blink a Big bow to David, Stewart and Mats on their monster bends :bow

I think you will get there in time young Strong Man :rock

Good job Derik - those bars are getting shorter and shorter fast! :rock

Nice bends...i didn't realize I temporarily passed you by bending the 16.5"x1/2" first :D What? A 26 year old is catching up :D Better train harder, tough guy.

Nice job man, especially on the 1/2". That is getting pretty short. You and Matt are only 2 1/2" off my max bend right now at that size. You will get that 3/4" soon the way you are killing the 5/8" square, and you are definitly good for more on both those bends from watching the videos. Don't be afraid to cut more off, I am always surprised at the stuff I can pull off, I will cut it down and be like no way that looks stupid short, but don't be intimidated by it and you will surprise yourself and kill it.

Haha, was I the Tim you were apologizing too when you chest crushed the 5/8? I am not trying to tell you what to do man, like Tim T said all of this is basically dangerous, I just think as your big bars get shorter you will start to feel differently about that technique like Matt is starting to figure out. And if you haven't been practicing other stuff like the under the leg pull you started with you are going to have to go back and start over again if you do choose to drop it eventually.

Another thing you gotta remeber is you got all the time in the world and it is about training hard AND smart. You have all the time to get great at the difficult techniques that take the most time to learn, but one single bad injury could put you out of the game forever possibly. That is the only thing that concerns me really, especially at your age. If we get messed up doing this we are adults doing a crazy thing, I think you are prehaps a bit more impressionable and we on this forum have a greater responsibility to duely warn you of the dangers involved and steer you in the right direction.

Nice job man, especially on the 1/2". That is getting pretty short. You and Matt are only 2 1/2" off my max bend right now at that size. You will get that 3/4" soon the way you are killing the 5/8" square, and you are definitly good for more on both those bends from watching the videos. Don't be afraid to cut more off, I am always surprised at the stuff I can pull off, I will cut it down and be like no way that looks stupid short, but don't be intimidated by it and you will surprise yourself and kill it.

Haha, was I the Tim you were apologizing too when you chest crushed the 5/8? I am not trying to tell you what to do man, like Tim T said all of this is basically dangerous, I just think as your big bars get shorter you will start to feel differently about that technique like Matt is starting to figure out. And if you haven't been practicing other stuff like the under the leg pull you started with you are going to have to go back and start over again if you do choose to drop it eventually.

Another thing you gotta remeber is you got all the time in the world and it is about training hard AND smart. You have all the time to get great at the difficult techniques that take the most time to learn, but one single bad injury could put you out of the game forever possibly. That is the only thing that concerns me really, especially at your age. If we get messed up doing this we are adults doing a crazy thing, I think you are prehaps a bit more impressionable and we on this forum have a greater responsibility to duely warn you of the dangers involved and steer you in the right direction.

Thanks Tim!! Yeah I'll be trying shorter stuff in about a week. Then I'll be at my dad's and I'll have a cameraman, so when I go for something on the midbar list it doesn't turn out terribly and David will accept it.

Yeah you are. I know that's what David told me too. It is starting to put a good hurt on my chest, and I'm concerned I might have to abandon it, but if I do I don't have nearly the strength with the other techniques, so I might have to start over. We'll see I suppose.

I can make my own decisions Tim, it's not like I'm a lemming or something give me a little credit. I do train smart, I'm just semi concerned with this technique, since I don't have the base that some people like David have who are also using it. We'll see what happens next workout. If I can get it by hip crush I will, but we'll have to wait and see.

Well done Derek, that 29 7/8 is a serious bend, its not that long ago the record was only a couple of inches shorter than that, The 3/4 will come and I dont think its going to take to long.

Edited by Stew

Nice work Derek!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Derek,

Nice job man! Those are some serious PRs on some serious steel.

The 3/4 is a tough bend but once it yields just a little, you'll get it. Addrenalin will take over and carry you through. That was my dream bend when I started and when it started to give I was just blown away. The 5/8 square isn't that far from it so you're getting close.

Nice work.

Tim

Derek,

Nice job man! Those are some serious PRs on some serious steel.

The 3/4 is a tough bend but once it yields just a little, you'll get it. Addrenalin will take over and carry you through. That was my dream bend when I started and when it started to give I was just blown away. The 5/8 square isn't that far from it so you're getting close.

Nice work.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Its not even the adrenaline that'll carry me through, I'm 150% sure I could finish it if I could kink it. It's the long awkwardness that's killing me!! Yeah I've gotten pretty short on the 5/8" Square, so I think a 3/4" should die soon.