Why Do U Have (twice) The Same Gripper?

ewokhugo

just to curious to know why some guys have 2 coc#3 or 2 beef builder elite ... two reason came to my mind: to do them at the same time, or to have one easy #3 and one harder #3

i believe there are more reasons than this ...

any thoughts?

I can think of a few reasons for this. 1. addicted to grippers, 2. collector of grippers, 3. looking for either an easier or harder gripper of the same kind, mostly a #3.

I know what you mean, guys like Teemu who have approximately 337,004 Bb Elites :) I think it comes down to this:

1.(as said above) Gripper addiction (don't be rough, it's a vice we all share)

2.(as said above) Gripper collectors

3. Gripper variance(i.e if you have an easy, avg. and hard #3)

4. Gripper addiction

5. Gripper addiction

Edited by Magnus

Gripper variance is the reason for me, helps the training.

I only have doubles of the 1.5 & 2, normal and filed for BTR training. But I am getting a new #3 as the old one I got in a trade doesn't have the best knurling. I've finally gotten remotely serious about grippers and have found that I prefer sharp knurling, the kind that digs into the skin and stays put. Also tends to tear the skin on my fingers, but that's part of the fun :tongue

I no longer buy or collect grippers, but I am working currently on making 4 non knurled steel handled grippers. I don't care for sharp knurling and want to try smooth steel with chalk.

I know some guys are going for what Oldguy says, an "Easy #3" to say they closed a #3. I have various grippers around the #3-elite level because 1)I am addicted to collecting them and 2) Because of gripper variance it is the only way to get a real good spread of difficulty.

I've given away or traded away quite a few grippers that I have had duplicates of in terms of strength.

Oldguy-

Those Tetting retro grippers feel best without chalk.

I am attempting to copy the Old style Tetting smooth steel handled grippers. I have the springs and the steel for the handles. It's just a matter of drilling the handles to accept the springs. I need access to a drillpress or at least a vice to hold the handle. I know machine shops charge a lot for even the smallest of jobs.

I can think of a few reasons for this. 1. addicted to grippers, 2. collector of grippers, 3. looking for either an easier or harder gripper of the same kind, mostly a #3.

I am #2 :D

I don't think its that important to get two of the same gripper till your high up like 3.5+. Either way people like there grippers, I would do the same if I had the money :D .

I only recently got a 2nd #1.5 and #2 and filed them both and feel that it's been a great addition to my training.

I do remember a while back when guys were stocking up on #3's, looking for that "easy" one. I'd prefer one on the harder side, so once I can close it consistently then most #3's should fall, other then the rare brick out there...

1. for me

1. addicted to grippers,
Yup
2. collector of grippers,
Yup
3. looking for either an easier or harder gripper of the same kind, mostly a #3.
3 strikes, and I'm out. Although I'm aiming for average and hard grippers, not easy ones.

I'm reason #3.

Right now the only gripper I have two of is the hg250. I ordered the hg150-250 as a set of 3, and then later bought the hg250-350 as set of three.

The only other gripper I'll buy that I already have is the #3 since I want to get certified. Once I get the second one I'll know if my current one is a easy #3 or a hard #3.

I'm reason #3.

Right now the only gripper I have two of is the hg250. I ordered the hg150-250 as a set of 3, and then later bought the hg250-350 as set of three.

The only other gripper I'll buy that I already have is the #3 since I want to get certified. Once I get the second one I'll know if my current one is a easy #3 or a hard #3.

Having two #3's is not yet enough to know that and to be well prepared for the cert. You might have an average one and get an easy one, think that your old #3 is hard and prepare with that, then the gripper you get out of the package in the cert proves to be a monster of a #3. #3's can vary from 2.8 to 3.3 (atleat that much variance there is) and you might be in for a surprise. Best thing to do is to get your grippers calibrated, dominate a 3.3 gripper and you are ready for any #3.

3 strikes, and I'm out. Although I'm aiming for average and hard grippers, not easy ones.

the 3 you have had off me makes for a good start - that #2.5 is a very hard one, as is the HG300, also that #3 aint exactly easy.

I'm reason #3.

Having two #3's is not yet enough to know that and to be well prepared for the cert. You might have an average one and get an easy one, think that your old #3 is hard and prepare with that, then the gripper you get out of the package in the cert proves to be a monster of a #3. #3's can vary from 2.8 to 3.3 (atleat that much variance there is) and you might be in for a surprise. Best thing to do is to get your grippers calibrated, dominate a 3.3 gripper and you are ready for any #3.

I think you're exactly right. I recently found out that Cannon lives in my area, and he is going to calibrate my grippers for me. I'm most curious about my hard hg300...still paper thin with that one. If average 3's are about 145-150, my guess is that my hard 300 is about 135.

I'm reason #3.

I think you're exactly right. I recently found out that Cannon lives in my area, and he is going to calibrate my grippers for me. I'm most curious about my hard hg300...still paper thin with that one. If average 3's are about 145-150, my guess is that my hard 300 is about 135.

I have a very hard 300 that's 145lb :whacked What makes it worse is that it has very smooth knurling.

I'm reason #3.

I have a very hard 300 that's 145lb :whacked What makes it worse is that it has very smooth knurling.

Same here! Out of every HG that I have, the 300 has the smoothest knurling! The 350 comes in at second place on that list. What the heck is with that? My dads 300 is the same way.

I'm reason #3.

Same here! Out of every HG that I have, the 300 has the smoothest knurling! The 350 comes in at second place on that list. What the heck is with that? My dads 300 is the same way.

That's funny, cuz my 350 has very good knurling. The only knurling that's better than my 350 is on my Bb's(which are very sharp). From smoothest to sharpest, my grippers look like this: 300, 100, 200, 150, 250, 350, BBE & BBGE(tied).

Edited by Magnus

I'm reason #3.

That's funny, cuz my 350 has very good knurling. The only knurling that's better than my 350 is on my Bb's(which are very sharp). From smoothest to sharpest, my grippers look like this: 300, 100, 200, 150, 250, 350, BBE & BBGE(tied).

The knurling on the BB grippers, in my opinion, is the best. On both of mine the knurling is completely identical. Both my IM grippers have identical knurling as well, but it's not as aggressive as the BB.

BTW, what did your 350 calibrate to?

I agree, Beef-builders are the best. The knurling is identical on mine also. I didn't calibrate the 350 yet, but I guessing that it's around 155-160. I'll let you know when I do, though.