Thick bar size

Drassk

I'm heading home for Thanksgiving (I'm Canadian) this weekend and a friend's father is a welder so I can get the welding done for free.  My question is this :

If I want to make a thick bar (~2.5") to use w/ olympic plates what would be the easiest way to go about it?  What kind of steel should I use?  Pipe or solid?  And what would be the best way to mount plates on it (I don't know the diameter of the hole in olympic plates).  Thanks in advance for any help.

the easiest way would be to either get a piece of 1.5" ID pipe, or 2" CRS, and weld a piece of 2" ID pipe overtop of it.  you need an outside diameter of 2" for the olympic plates and either of these will do well for that.

The solid steel would be my choice. Mine is 6' long

and I put regular 2" barbell collars on it and screwed

them down for the inside, and use the same for the

outside collars if needed.

If he can weld the inside collars in place, that would

be better.

You'll soon be in the thick of things. Once you've gone

thick, you'll never go thin again :(

Well my only issue with a solid bar is the weight.  I will have to carry it to my gym (which isn't really far away but isn't really close either) so mass is definitely a concern.  How much does a 6' rod of 2" steel weigh?

65 lbs might not be too bad if I just carry it yoke style.  I was expecting something more in the 90-100lbs range and that would be craziness.  Now I just need to go home and see the machine shop guys and the welder and see how much it's going to cost.  The solid bar sounds like the nicest option but I'm mostly broke right now so I might need to settle for pipe.

Roark, what kind of steel is that bar of yours?  Cold rolled?  ???

Drassk,

2 inch cold rolled weighs 0.89 lbs. per inch.

your 6ft piece (72 inches) should weigh 64.08 lbs

It did weigh about 64 before I put the small/ring type

inside collars on it. I am using a home bathroom scale,

so there is probably some error.

A friend got mine for $20 out of a heavy equipment

junkyard- it was headed for meltdown to be used again.

It was very rusty but some elbow grease and chrome paint

made it look new! Not positive but since it was used in

heavy machinery, I assume it is cold roll.

Hey Joe,

My apologies if I came across as anal in my post. I just happen to have reference material on round stock weight

from 1/4 inch to 12 inch diameters.

I put the 0.89lbs. per inch for 2 in. in case you guys have longer pieces and wanted to figure the weight per

length of any bar you might get. :)

With the light weights I use (wish I were joking) my

junkyard leftover bar is perfectly safe. If you live near

a heavy equipment dealer, or an industrial type junkyard

or salvage yard- you can sometimes pick up the bar for

the same price the junkyard would have sold it for

scrap meltdown- they don't care whether it enters

the fire or lights yours!

Worth looking into. A wire brush, sandpaper, and some paint,

and you have saved shipping charges and probably a

couple hundred bucks.

Buy an extra one, fix it up, sell it, and yours ends up

being free.

Can't you leave it at the gym? That's what I do with my thick bar - I check on it from time to time. I just asked Mick the owner.

Roark,

I wish it were just THAT easy!  ;)

I scoured three different junkyards right around where I live, and I came up with DIDDLY!!   :hehe  Some of the junkyards in Georgia are so nasty, you don't want to be caught dead there!  But I did my best... and my best came up with nothing.  I still want that solid steel thick bar; the only way I might haffta get it is through a steel supplier.  Oh woe is me!   :(

Leaving it at the gym might be viable.  I'm not sure exactly how I could manage it since it's a university gym but I'd imagine I could cut some sort of deal with them like they agree to take care of it and I'll leave it there for all to use.  Really, what can someone do to a 6' length of 2" steel? (serious question...if someone can somehow mess it up I won't leave it there).  Also, what's the consensus on coating?  Should I wrap it in tape, leave it smooth...get it knurled?  My grip is way ahead of my lifts so I think if it was knurled or taped I could still use close to my former weights but I'm not sure how much knurling would cost or if taping it is a bad idea.

Guest Uberman

For a lighter easy to carry version. Cut the size of pipe you want to the length of the inside  of oly bar collars. Have two large "washers" cut from sheet metal that are, the outside of the washer the diameter of inside of the pipe. Hole in the middle of washer cut to the outside diameter of oly bar. Have welder weld washers inside the ends of pipe. Carry this and allen wrench to gym. Remove oly bar end with allen wrench, slide on pipe put end back on. Remove when you leave.. Mike

Uberman has the right idea. The bar does not have to be solid steel. Heavy gauge galvanized plumbing pipe is easily strong enough, and a bar does not have to be as long as 84'' which is what most Olympic bars are.

I may have found that source for solid steel thick bars!  Details to come later....  :)

If it's solid, as mine is, there's bugger all that anyone can do at the gym to knacker it. They might be able to scratch it possibly (mines got a zinc coating) but bend it - no way! With the plates at the gym it'll go to 1200 and they'd have to be lifting on the roof (not poss) and drop it onto a bench from that height.

Ahh thats just reminded me. On Ivanko's site there's an article stating that for the best bars even they can be bent by being loaded heavy and dropped. Hmm find out if there's a dark corner or cupboard/locker to stick it in.