Dumbell Farmer Holds...

gothrik

I have been training my grip lately by doing farmer walk style holds except no walking. (So I can watch the clock.) I have been doing the holds for up to one minute then adding 5 pounds each hand. What do you think is a good amount? I remember in "Mastery of Hand Strength" that John mentions one of the first 3 closers training by walking with dumbells. And I like this style.

I am up to 125# each hand for 1 minute 2x (with 2-3 minute rest between.) Is that fairly good? What would be a really good goal to aim for? (My crush grip for comparison is usually running around a 1.5 with a 2 being my top ever...)

I don't know if this is good or not, but I can hold my bodyweight in each hand (260 pounds) for at least a minute. Not sure what the "gold standard" is though.

I don't know if this is good or not, but I can hold my bodyweight in each hand (260 pounds) for at least a minute. Not sure what the "gold standard" is though.

where do you get 260 lb dumbbels? Max at my gym is 125, I can easily hold for minute with them don't really train this area since I don't think its weak point for me.

where do you get 260 lb dumbbels? Max at my gym is 125, I can easily hold for minute with them don't really train this area since I don't think its weak point for me.

They aren't dumbbells. (But damn, any gym that DID have 260 dumbbells would be really hardcore :D ). They are famer's walk handles that Williams Strength Products makes (the heavier model). They each weigh 82 pounds unloaded. The handles are not knurled but they are not painted either (bare metal).

I'm kind of curious about the sort of weight that others around here can hold for time.

They aren't dumbbells. (But damn, any gym that DID have 260 dumbbells would be really hardcore :D ). They are famer's walk handles that Williams Strength Products makes (the heavier model). They each weigh 82 pounds unloaded. The handles are not knurled but they are not painted either (bare metal).

I'm kind of curious about the sort of weight that others around here can hold for time.

Farmer's walk handles are easier to carry since they don't roll out of your hands like a pair of dumbbells do. Can't really compare the two.

260lbs is not bad though, have just tried farmers walk once (with the proper handles) and we only went up to 180, which felt heavy enough. (Yes, I'm weak.) :blush

Farmer's walk handles are easier to carry since they don't roll out of your hands like a pair of dumbbells do. Can't really compare the two.

260lbs is not bad though, have just tried farmers walk once (with the proper handles) and we only went up to 180, which felt heavy enough. (Yes, I'm weak.) :blush

I believe he was talking about holding, not walking, and so the difference you point out would not seem to come into play.

Doesn't matter whether you walk with them or not, it's still easier on farmer's handles as you're holding the weight above the centre of gravity so it doesn't roll out of your hands. This is why the best one hand lifts are 300kg+ whereas the best one hand deadlifts (no hook) are about half that.

For max strength I would go with heavier weights and shorter holds.

Wow...was that 260 pounds each hand? Or 260 total? The weight I listed was in each hand so 2x that total...(250#)

Wow...was that 260 pounds each hand? Or 260 total? The weight I listed was in each hand so 2x that total...(250#)

Each hand. But I'm using farmer's walk handles, not dumbbells. Noob Saibot seems to have good reason for thinking that makes some difference.

Each hand. But I'm using farmer's walk handles, not dumbbells. Noob Saibot seems to have good reason for thinking that makes some difference.

And he's correct. Try next time you go to the gym and you'll see, if they don't have dumbells heavy enough try to load a barbell.

Why do you think that the deadlift is usually done with a mixed grip?

I have been training my grip lately by doing farmer walk style holds except no walking. (So I can watch the clock.) I have been doing the holds for up to one minute then adding 5 pounds each hand. What do you think is a good amount? I remember in "Mastery of Hand Strength" that John mentions one of the first 3 closers training by walking with dumbells. And I like this style.

I am up to 125# each hand for 1 minute 2x (with 2-3 minute rest between.) Is that fairly good? What would be a really good goal to aim for? (My crush grip for comparison is usually running around a 1.5 with a 2 being my top ever...)

thats a good weight but holding dumbells wont help grippers i know first hand me and my son use to hold 150s against each other in over a minute contests to see who could hold them the longest and i suck on grippers they might help pinch some but thats a guess

thats a good weight but holding dumbells wont help grippers i know first hand me and my son use to hold 150s against each other in over a minute contests to see who could hold them the longest and i suck on grippers they might help pinch some but thats a guess

If it was thickbar it could help with grippers as it would strengthen your forarms.

If it was thickbar it could help with grippers as it would strengthen your forarms.

So it may not help grippers but it will still build support strength right? (I want to work on that so I can carry heavy objects easier, and do more stone lifting easier, ect..) I do have a home made thick bar implement (really thick close to 3 inches) I can just barely pick up and hold 100# in one hand on it...

For the average drug free guy into strength training, 250-300#/hand is a pretty reasonable goal.

For the average drug free guy into strength training, 250-300#/hand is a pretty reasonable goal.

On dumbells? Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I guess thats equivalent to about 170-200 on a rolling thunder.

On dumbells? Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I guess thats equivalent to about 170-200 on a rolling thunder.

i think bob was talking farmers handle holds

Some gyms do have 250's. Coleman and Kovacs both use 250lb db's for diff. things... I NEED TO FIND THAT GYM :laugh

Some gyms do have 250's. Coleman and Kovacs both use 250lb db's for diff. things... I NEED TO FIND THAT GYM :laugh

i have 1lb dumbells and up to 300s but the only thing you can do with them is one arm rows and shrugs off of knee high stands and with straps you can pick one up but with out letting it rest on your leg it rolls out in a short

Coleman works out at Metroflex Gym in the Ft. Worth area, I believe.

I have pulled 270 per hand with 2" handles on FW bars. I can't budge Zach Coulter's Inch replicas with 2 1/2" handles. FW is so much easier.

To answer the original poster, to make it harder, I'd load up 2 barbells to 135 (for starters), set them side by side and try to hold them for time. Add weight if 135 is too easy. Plus, the balance aspect would make it harder and work your grip in a leverage-type fashion.

I have pulled 270 per hand with 2" handles on FW bars. I can't budge Zach Coulter's Inch replicas with 2 1/2" handles. FW is so much easier.

To answer the original poster, to make it harder, I'd load up 2 barbells to 135 (for starters), set them side by side and try to hold them for time. Add weight if 135 is too easy. Plus, the balance aspect would make it harder and work your grip in a leverage-type fashion.

Is that called a suitcase deadlift?

Is that called a suitcase deadlift?

It could be. I've never heard the expression, but it makes sense.

Suitcase is doing it on one side only, like lifting a suitcase. It works your obliques hardcore being so off balance.

I have tried one hand deadlifts on a barbell it is real hard they roll out of your hand worse than dumbells because of the ends where the weights are rotate as well and obviously they are harder to balance. You can stradle the bar or lift it in front like a conventional dead, I like conventional better.

Another great exercise for this is one arm hangs on a pullup bar, or wieghted if that it easy for you.

I would estimate for one hand lifting the progression assuming similar handle size would be like this

Rolling thunder

Barbell

Dumbell

One arm hang

Farmers walk handle

A camberbed barbell would most likely be a bit harder but similar to a farmers walk handle.

If you really want to work max support strength hard with heavy wieghts try rack pulls.

here is maidenfan doing a good heavy lift http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVu6uXOe4U

DAAAAAMN. That is hardcore. Every aspect of it. He has total control too, the bars didin't dip or wobble even on the way down. I couldn't even pull that deadlift on a trap let alone like that. Crazy all around strength and coordination. That is definitely one of the more bad ass lifts I have ever seen.