Michigan Grip 6

Bob Lipinski

http://www.powerandbulk.com/ushandstrength/id11.html

The medley will be very heavy. I do not think anyone will get full points.

There are 3 platforms, one about 6 inches high, one that will be a touch below full deadlift height for even the smallest guys, and one that will be a small high pull for the tall guys, at or maybe a touch above waist height on Thorton. I would love to see someone get the one finger lift to the highest platform.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Lipinski

• jad

• MalachiMcMullen

• barbe705

Also, I think we have come up with a good way to judge hammers. A platform will be set up so that it touches your arm when held out parallel to the ground, when you are standing straight up and down. You can touch the platform or not.

There is a little bit of play, but I don't think anyone got their upper arm up more than .5-1 inch, and that was trying to cheat like hell.

Without giving away the events - how about this? What will the total weight of all things lifted if you get them all in the medley? :D

Chris- I'm keeping mine wide open! Here it is, cut and paste from the announcement:

The medley:

100# 2.25" handle DB, Axe head lift (light), 52# thin pinch, 175# one finger lift, 126# 2.5" diameter DB, Inch Dumbell, Anvil by the horn, another anvil over the top, 30# blob, 50# blob, 45# and 25# hub lift, 3-25's with crossbar, 6# and 8# Front lever with coin on head, 100# rim lift.

Take any of these to whatever platform you can. In addition, there will be 2 other non-loading challenges in the medley:

-Hand and Thigh lift with 770#

-The Larkin Springs- Light, Medium, or Big Black

Chris- I'm keeping mine wide open! Here it is, cut and paste from the announcement:

The medley:

100# 2.25" handle DB, Axe head lift (light), 52# thin pinch, 175# one finger lift, 126# 2.5" diameter DB, Inch Dumbell, Anvil by the horn, another anvil over the top, 30# blob, 50# blob, 45# and 25# hub lift, 3-25's with crossbar, 6# and 8# Front lever with coin on head, 100# rim lift.

Take any of these to whatever platform you can. In addition, there will be 2 other non-loading challenges in the medley:

Now that sounds like FUN! I'm thinking mine might come out to a ton or so total weight on the medley this year - still thinking about weather to keep it secret or not.

The medley:

Ouch

LoL

TOUGH

yeah right ;)

Seriously though, it's a great medley and I doubt anyone will get all of these lifts after all the other events :rock :rock :rock

You know it's a good contest when I don't offer a bunch of advice for improvements! :laugh

Good job, Bob.

Thanks guys!

Tried to get a good mix of Larkin-inspired events. Wait till you try the one finger, think it is tough, then watch Larkin do it easily.

Thanks guys!

Tried to get a good mix of Larkin-inspired events. Wait till you try the one finger, think it is tough, then watch Larkin do it easily.

I'm just impressed with anyone that can one hand high pull 175#! I would think the leg drive has to minimized unless you want to tear off your finger?

I don't think a one hand pull with 175# is too hard- The platform is at or just above Thorton's waist, so it is a very, very short high pull. I think just a little bit of back and bicep will be enough to put it up there.

But yeah, pulling off your finger is definitely a worry even with just the deadlift.

A word of advice with experience behind it - either train for this event - or skip it at that weight. That's a big weight to pull without some toughening.

I don't think a one hand pull with 175# is too hard- The platform is at or just above Thorton's waist, so it is a very, very short high pull. I think just a little bit of back and bicep will be enough to put it up there.

But yeah, pulling off your finger is definitely a worry even with just the deadlift.

Oh, I was thinking like up to your collarbone area.

I'm curious Bob, there are 3 platforms and 20 objects. How is everything going to be arranged around the platforms for the comp? It was a pretty big clusterdoodle when we left :laugh

It will still be a clusterdoodle!

I'm going to give each competitor a minute or so (with help of course) to arrange some of the stuff where they want it. For example, if you don't think you have a chance in hell to lift the inch, kinda like me, you can put it off to the side.

Yes Chris, the one finger lift is difficult. It is doable with no training, but I would very strongly recommend a practice pull or two before the comp.

While I am on the subject, I have no qualms with anyone going to Larkin's (as long as Don doesn't mind) the day before or early the day of the contest to take a few test pulls of some of the weights. In fact I would recommend it- The springs, the hand and thigh, the one finger, and for Larkin newbies the thin pinch need a few attempts to get the hang of.

will spotters be pulling stuff off the platforms to make room or are they plenty big that you don't have to worry about playing tetris or stacking things to get them to fit?

We will definitely need spotters. I have already offered one free food/competition bribe. If all else fails I will do it.

does the coin have to stay on the sledge when you set it down? In other words do you have to ever-so-gently set it on the platform so the landing doesn't bounce it off?

Edited by jad

Dave and I talked about this. No, the coin does not need to stay on the sledge. Get it up there and you are okay.

what's the ring/gear like for the one finger lift? So, I can mock up something like it.

Brent

There are two different ones (you can use either). They are hooks with lots of athletic tape as cushion I believe.

What's the best way to train for that hand and thigh lift if you don't have a set up? Heavy rack pulls??

What's the best way to train for that hand and thigh lift if you don't have a set up? Heavy rack pulls??

I really can't see training it without a barbell, chain and handle. Heavy rack pulls might do but make sure they are double overhand, less than 1" ROM, and that the barbell is pushing down on your fingers and into your thigh :)

On a side note, my dad and both brothers will be competing at this year's MGC :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen