New Braced Bends

matthcarl

Not the best videos, but at least you can get an idea.

5/8x36 HRS

1/2x18 HRS

DC1 Horse Shoe - This one I did a while ago but never posted. I was comparing my crush style to Eric's...I think I bend sort of like him. Just easier shoes with more padding :D

That 1/2x18 HRS vid was great. Looked like you really had to earn every inch. Great fight!

Matt I would really try and work on your hip crush strength rather than moving to crushing against the chest. I am not trying to tell you what to do, I just really don't like that style and I think with more people doing it someone is gonna get hurt before too long.

Also try and push down over the thigh, that it is also a better technique than rowing the bar but it takes time to gain strength in it, but it is well worth it.

Also give the pulling under the leg style a try after you have it started. Sorry I haven't made a video yet, I am pretty beat up and out of steel but that is one of my goals next weekend.

Also try the hip crush on the same thigh and you are pushing down with, I get allot more power this way than pushing across to the other leg. You can start the crush at much wider angle pushing across and posting further down the leg. Try and really brace your hand against you body and bare all your weight and abdominal power into the crush too.

Thanks for the comments.

Tim, why is pushing down over the thigh better than rowing? It doesn't hurt me in the least, and I can usually get past 90 degrees with the arm cross technique.

Also...do you prefer the U behind or in front of you for the hip crush? I kept trying it both ways and neither felt right.

As for the chest crushing, well, I like it. I wouldn't do it if the bar didn't feel stable, and you may have seen I fold the towel over the top for a little extra security. I think the key is to apply pressure slowly, rather than jerking it, so you can tell if it's going to slip.

I always crush with the U in front, I don't know how the hell some guys do it the other way. It may just be a body mechanic thing. It always felt comfrotable for me though, so if neiter do just keep playing around with both until one clicks.

With both the rowing and chest crush, it doesn't matter much on the easier stuff but you are progressing fast and you will start to see what I mean before too long. The pressure on your back in that position on really heavy bars, I have kinked a 7/8" slightly this way and my back was not happy about it. I didn't hurt it but it was probably only a matter of time.

The same with chest crush, once I started doing some really haeavy bars it felt like I was going to collapse my damn sternum, these techniques give you great leverage but I just don't feel they will carry you through in the long run without injury.

Again if you keep hitting bigger bars and it feels fine to you then do as you like, I am just trying to look out for you man.

Great bending, that 18" x 1/2 is a tough bend.

For what its worth regarding technique I think you should go with whatever feels good for you and I would have used pretty much the same method you did but may have used the legs for assistance a little earlier.

I think with a little more assistance on the crush from your thighs, the 17" is there when you want to do it.

Thanks everyone. Still trying to work out the kinks and I appreciate the advice.

Matt,

Great job on those bends! Those should get you on David's lists I think.

As for the styles, you'll work out what's best for you. I can name people who use all the various styles to great results. AP can knee pull an 8 inch spikes which to me feels very awkward. I push down over the thigh mostly with a little knee pull for good measure on the longer stuff.

Like I told someone else, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a doctor that endorsed any of our styles.

Great job!

Tim

Matt,

Great job on those bends! Those should get you on David's lists I think.

As for the styles, you'll work out what's best for you. I can name people who use all the various styles to great results. AP can knee pull an 8 inch spikes which to me feels very awkward. I push down over the thigh mostly with a little knee pull for good measure on the longer stuff.

Like I told someone else, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a doctor that endorsed any of our styles.

Great job!

Tim

Thanks. Now for the question I've been holding back...where can I find a link to David's lists and rules? I know I have seen them before, but I can't find anything on his site, or this one and it's been driving me crazy for weeks.

braced certs

That should do!

Tim

braced certs

That should do!

Tim

Thanks! Though my 18" bend was definitely not done in 5 minutes.

Thanks! Though my 18" bend was definitely not done in 5 minutes.

Next time it shall be :rock Great bends!!

Awesome bends Matt!

Regarding the aforementioned crush on top of the thigh, I find that if I face the U to the rear, grab the bottom with one hand, and tuck the bar and top hand into my armpit and crash my bodyweight into the bar while contracting my abs, I can get a ton of power that way. Just a thought.

Also, have you tried Tim I's shoe start technique yet? I can consistently get shoes to 90ish first hit that way. VERY strong position. I also agree on the shoe crush technique Tim mentioned. If you really plant your inside hand, you can crash your bodyweight down into the shoe and really get some good power and torque that way.

Again, not trying to tell you how to do stuff, just something to try. Whatever feels good to you is all that matters. Great job on some tough bends!!

Awesome bends Matt!

Regarding the aforementioned crush on top of the thigh, I find that if I face the U to the rear, grab the bottom with one hand, and tuck the bar and top hand into my armpit and crash my bodyweight into the bar while contracting my abs, I can get a ton of power that way. Just a thought.

Also, have you tried Tim I's shoe start technique yet? I can consistently get shoes to 90ish first hit that way. VERY strong position. I also agree on the shoe crush technique Tim mentioned. If you really plant your inside hand, you can crash your bodyweight down into the shoe and really get some good power and torque that way.

Again, not trying to tell you how to do stuff, just something to try. Whatever feels good to you is all that matters. Great job on some tough bends!!

The thigh crush you mention sounds good, I'll try it next time. As for horseshoes, I watched Tim's video and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it. Usually the initial kink is the easiest part for me, though, assuming I can move it at all. 135-180 is more of a sticking point, and I have a hard time crushing down over the thigh...which is why I always row the long bars. I have no tricep power.